3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever shoot a Hill style and say "no thanks"?  (Read 5087 times)

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever shoot a Hill style and say "no thanks"?
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
Jury is still out with them for me.  Got my first ASL this sumer. No hand shock, but just not as consistent with it as with my r/d bows.  Always enjoy shooting it but just haven't shot it enough to have a lot of confidence.   It won't leave though.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
Wow, another 1,000 pages or so and this will be as long as the HH fan club postings!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
Ulysseys....shooting a Hill style  is as much a mindset as it is about performance. I have shot some, but I prefer the recurves. I have found it very difficult to switch from one to the other...jmo
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
Listen to your own gut. It sounds like you want to try one, not once but a few days or week, before you decide. Look around and see if you can take one on trial.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
No one in their right mind would want to shoot an ASL or HH style bow. Their violent buggers and will ruin your dental work. If you've foolishly bought one I will do you a favor and take it off your hands at a bargain price. Send them my way and be rid of them. I'd only do this for a trad ganger.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
That's the Tradgang spirit, Cavscout!
Chuck

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
I've tried! The mystique of the hill bow is great! I unfortunately can't shoot them.. I for one cant shoot a straight grip, I also have a shorter draw length and the long D bows don't have the "zing" I'm after and personally prefer not to have that hand shock.

But to each there own. You won't know until you try!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
I love my Hill/Schulz style natural bows I make and shoot,  smooth quiet and I've had plenty of guys shoot them and change there opinions of Hill styles. Most have had bad experiences with Hill styles and they have been shocked how smooth they are.

Lots of variables in all types of bows I think      :thumbsup:    

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
Sounds like to me, there should be a price put on the Bowyers heads, who make those god awful things.(LOL)

Hmmm, think I will make more!!!  ..OE

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
I was told how bad they were.....then got a deal on a Jerry Hill longbow. That was 7-8 years ago, now I have 2 Northern Mists, 3 Hills and a Kimsha. I sold the Jerry hill and that was a mistake.........Nothing like stumping with a Hill style.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
I've managed to come into possession of one of those god awful bows that OE is talking about. Dang thang just shoots where you want it to, doesn't complain about how I hold it, will shoot every arrow I've ever had the nerve to put through it and besides that, it laughs at me when I pick up one of those r/d type bows. On top of all that, whoever made this bow, built it left handed. But that's OK, I just string it backwards and it shoots just fine.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Ric o Sly, got your Vixen, going out Monday, 46@28-66" give me a call, I shot it,aint got the guts to do that agin!!! Poor me  ..OE

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
You shot an ML-10 and still have all your teeth?    :laughing:

Offline Mo0se

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
Yes...twice, because I had to shoot it a second time to verify that it really was that bad!
A longbow and wood arrows? Peas and Carrots!

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
OE - I just broke a tooth  shootin' one of these bows and had a new crown put on that molar. Now you're gonna send me another.....need to call my dentist and make certain the glue is cured.    :saywhat:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2014, 12:53:00 AM »
Just like some don't seem to notice (or be bothered by, probably more truthful) recoil in rifles, there are some who don't seem to mind the hand shock of traditional Hill style longbows.  Nevertheless, I've never shot one by any maker that I would call pleasant to shoot, or that shot well for me, and I've tried quite a few of them.  Some guys like to hunt 120lb deer with .338 Win mags; to each his own, but count me out.  Many much more enjoyable and more shootable designs out there these days.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2014, 06:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ric O'Shay:
I've managed to come into possession of one of those god awful bows that OE is talking about. Dang thang just shoots where you want it to, doesn't complain about how I hold it, will shoot every arrow I've ever had the nerve to put through it and besides that, it laughs at me when I pick up one of those r/d type bows. On top of all that, whoever made this bow, built it left handed. But that's OK, I just string it backwards and it shoots just fine.

:bigsmyl:  I love mine.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »
The oral surgeon wanted 4800.00 to remove my wisdom teeth.  I did it for nothing with three shots of my friends Hill bow.

I'll let you know if it was worth it after I find out how much it's going to cost to repair my elbow.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
Tooner.......you should have learned to hold it properly..........   :cool:   Just my thoughts!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
I was holding it correctly ron, that's how I limited it to just my wisdom teeth.

:goldtooth:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©