3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever shoot a Hill style and say "no thanks"?  (Read 5090 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever shoot a Hill style and say "no thanks"?
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
Funny I feel nothing in any of mine......maybe I'm holding it wrong. And I have all my teeth..lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
For me a Hill bow was love at first shot. love those Hill style bows.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
The best thing about shooting a buddy's hill bow is handing it back. I just don't like them

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
I believe that everybody should buy at least two of the ASL bows. Then when you don't like them, you can deeply discount those bad boys and place them up for sale in the classified section. Makes them easier to find and cheaper on those of us that do like them.

:bigsmyl:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Quotes from a friend. "What da you shoot those for? They're junk."  After one shot with his arm jammed, his neck jammed and squeezing the rosin out of the riser, "See I was right that hurts like hell." "I ain't carrying that Huntmor thing, it's too heavy." His bow weighed over 6 pounds. "Let's take my jeep, people will think that I am a sissy if they see me in that fancy Subaru of yours."
After watching the Schulz video and shooting a Hill bow with a B50 string, "Okay, not bad but it still has a lot of thump." After fixing his efforts to have more than his puny 68" wing span should draw, 25" and putting a fast flight on the same bow, "Holy crap, what did you do? This thing is amazing." After shooting for two hours, "You got to sell me this bow."  My bows are not for sale, I may give it too him next summer. Once again the wisdom of John Schulz held true. He said that if one learns to shoot a longbow properly they will love it, but if they insist on shooting them wrong, they will discard them with disgust.

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
"For the serious bowhunter, the longbow will bring him to this style or else he will discard it with a curse, and a vow never to touch it again.

The longbow demands the style which goes with it.  This style is the most conducive to the hunting of any game - furred or feathered."  J.S.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
All I got to say is target panic makes any style of bow hard to shoot!       :smileystooges:
Longbows & Short Shots

« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
One conversation with John, he alluded to how some think that they are shooting just like he instructed, but they were not. Also, some can have perfect Hill form, until they get it in their head that they have to hold and aim, then everything falls apart.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
Holding and aiming Pavan.. An interesting topic. Read something in Saxton Pope's book that you don't hear much about. During his field tests he found that the longer a longbow was held, the less cast it delivered. Now, that could be because those were self bows, or at least not glass backed, but I wonder if part of the reason snap (or a version of snap) shooting ASLs works so well is because of their tendency to lose load under prolonged strain. Dunno, food for my own thoughts.... and a tad of trying to hijack this heresy of an anti-HH thread. Haha kidding..
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
I've shot a few that were not entirely comfortable but I own one that's not at all bad with a fast flite string and appropriate arrow. I tend to keep my arm slightly bent when I shoot Hill style bows and this helps as well. I hunt mostly with a recurve but I definitely enjoy spending some time with my Hill bow each year.

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
I kind of like them, fun to shoot with a good one. I have a Louis Armbruster Zebra Grevy that I really enjoy shooting, I've also had a Wesley Special that was like stringing up a T-post! I just guess it depends on what mood I'm in when I pick one to hunt with.

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
LD -
How you been?
Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
Good Danny, How about you? I know that this working crap is really starting to interfere with my personal life!

Take care!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2014, 12:52:00 AM »
The real good thing with those Hill style bow Is that after release and recovery from the kick, you still have plenty time to look to you arrow flying to the spot...or below the spot if you are a few step further  :D
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
I still have an ache in my left shoulder I attribute to shooting one back in the 70's.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
Years ago I ran an archery club that maintained a city indoor archery range. I spent a lot of evenings helping people set up their bows, mostly wheel bows but as a traditional archer I saw a lot of stick bows that people brought to the range and shot most of them.

On my list of the worst bows I ever shot were;
Absolute worst, Ben Pearson "Old Ben" longbow, next worst, Jerry Hill bows followed by standard Hill bows.

I did shoot a Hill Big 5 that wasn't all that bad but never could stand the skinny, tall handle.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
I dont care for the ones I've shot. Also made a few selfbows early on,switched to more moden bows and when I picked up my selfbow I didnt care for it like I used to.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
To answer the initial question... Yes.... but usually after I begrudge a smile, tell the owner nice bow and walk away thinking he can keep it...
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline swamp donkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
I've owned a couple but just couldn't shoot them well. I'm sure they're fine bows in the right hands, I just don't own the right hands.
Gary

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
They just take a little different style and effort, but once there it is hard to go to anything else.  

You guys keep selling those cheap :-)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©