3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever shoot a Hill style and say "no thanks"?  (Read 5088 times)

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever shoot a Hill style and say "no thanks"?
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
Yeah I've shot a half dozen or so and hated them all.  give me a good recurve all day.

Dave

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
two2hooking has got it right. Maybe I can trade away my last R/D longbow for another ASL!
Chuck

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
The only reason I don't vehimently protest this thread is my hopes that it drives ASL prices into the dirt (sorry bowyers, but I'm itching for a take down ASL for a travel/back up bow).
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
I have shot selbows and r/d longbows and recurves, that I have said no thanks....
    I currently have tow HHA Longbows.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
A good feeling bow is one where you hold the bow with a dead straight arm, let your bow shoulder jam up against your head for support, and then shoot with no shock or vibration.  Of course some shooting postures can hurt you from the energy  of your own muscles at release and draw. I should get one of those cheap shock mobiles just for the times when one of the straight arm recurve or compound guys, that think they know every thing there is know, want to try my bows.  My personal bows would not work for that, they have about the same reaction as my one recurve, a Grooves Spitfire.  However, I notice that most of the critics refer to feel without any reference to form. Regardless of limb shape all types of bow grips need to be held properly for that particular grip. Healing the grip works fine for longbows, but not always for pistol grips. Everyone measures their shooting by how tight the groups are at standing targets. It seems like those requirement gets transferred to what becomes a requirement to what can be called a hunting shot as well.  I have shot deer on the move with recurves, I have shot quarters out of the air with recurves. Of course my recurve form is a modified Hill form, not target form. I still find that hitting quick and moving targets easier with a longbow.

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
An important thing to remember about the Howard Hill bows or longbows with very little D/R, is they just need the proper components to shoot nice.  The string has to be the correct thickness, mass and material, the brace ht. has a very small sweet spot, as does the nock point, the arrow weight:poundage range is very small, the nock tightness on the string has to be perfect, and the arrow spine has to be spot on.  

Once you get all that and master the way you grip the bow and your clean release/follow through, you'll have a bow that's very hard to beat and is an absolute joy to shoot. You won't want anything else.  Most Hill styled bow shooters I've met may own other bows but they only shoot that one they've taken the time to get perfect. Then the other person they let shoot it, don't like it, because they don't draw the same length (no two people do) and it results in hand shock or something otherwise.  

Because of that, the additional efforts it takes to tune one, the Howard hill styled bows get bad reviews.
This!

Built by an experienced, knowledgeable bowyer and set up right for the shooter, they can be a joy to use and shoot.

I hate driving my wife's Corolla when the seat and steering wheel are set for her. Move the seat back and the steering wheel up and it's a fun little car to drive.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
I shot  hill styles and said yes! I didn't experience any shock problems!

I've now only own three Hill style bows:

one  a HHA Tembo 66 in. long,(about 60lbs at 28" draw)

two Northern Mist Sheltons; both 66" long

one is a one piece bow at 54 lbs at 28" draw

the other a two piece take-down at 55lb at 28" draw.

I enjoy the NM Sheltons the most!    :D
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©