3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Professional Bowhunters Society membership  (Read 806 times)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Professional Bowhunters Society membership
« on: August 26, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
Not sure if this is too far off topic, but I had some questions about those of you who are members of PBS. I read over their site and it seems like they do a lot of good for perserving/protecting/improving the general world of bowhunting. I joined (the lowest membership option at this point), if at least for those previously stated reasons. I was just wondering the level of involvment that members here get into with PBS. Are there things you do that are related to PBS?  Are there certain aspects of PBS that you really enjoy? Any opinions about PBS would be great. I understand that I could just post a thread over there on their forum, but tradgang gets a lot of traffic and my membership to PBS is still pending approval. Thanks in advance gang. Happy shooting! Getting close to crunch time in some states!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Professional Bowhunters Society membership
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Lucas.. First of all welcome.

I think this thread may be best suited for their web site.

I joined because its an organization I believe in. I am not very active yet but hope to be one day.  I am getting my feet wet right now.

Even though I think there is some cross over with "like" activities here at Trad Gang, you will find guys over there live to Bowhunt and do everything in their power to not only promote Bowhunting but ensure its around for as long as possible.

I think a  lot of Members here at Trad Gang are PBS material who haven't Joined whether they are not familiar or not interested so I often mention it to guys through PM's if I think there is a possibility of them or PBS benefiting from their membership.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the insight. I will certainly post a similar thread over there, I would just like to save it for an introductory thread - and that I am saving for when my membership is activated. I apologize for any impropriety on my part and mods if needed, feel free to remove it, no hard feelings.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
Welcome to PBS it is a great organization made up of hard core bowhunters. It is through each members desire to continue the traditions and preserve bowhuntings traditional values. Your membership will have many benefits including a wonderful magazine that will bring writings from many outstanding bowhunters.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
Welcome Lucas!

PBS is a great organization to meet people who love to bowhunt as much as we do. The emphasis is on hunting as opposed to killing at all cost. There are close to a dozen membership hunts scheduled so far this year that are hosted by the members and any member is welcome to join along at no cost. It is simply a gathering of great hunters who love to pass along "knowledge through experience".

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »
Welcome to PBS Lucas!  You will find lots of responses on the PBS sight, but there are lots of PBS members that hang out here as well.

Like any organization, you will find that what you get out of it is in proportion to what you put into it.  When I first joined it took me awhile to really become involved, but the more I got into it the more I liked it.  My PBS membership has helped me to meet new friends that think and feel the same way that I do about hunting.  Some of these friends are local to where I live, others are from all over the country.  I've shared hunting camps with them and been invited to hunt out of state in a number of places.  Without a doubt, PBS is one of the most valuable organizations that I belong to.

I hope that your interest develops into getting involved and look forward to meeting in person down the road.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
Welcome to PBS!  A great bunch of hardcore bow hunters, who are dedicated to promoting the bowhunting lifestyle.
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Welcome to the PBS.  As most have mentioned, the PBS is all about the entire hunt, not just the kill.  Hardcore Bowhunters would sum us up well.  Most of my closest friends are PBS members.

I honestly could not put a value on the knowledge I have gained by being a member.  If it was not for the advice and knowledge I have gained, I never would have hunted in Hawaii, Wyoming and most recently, in Manitoba.  

Like most things in life, there are so many hidden benefits, that you truly need to look and you will be amazed.

Just last night, I was writting an article for an upcoming PBS publication about the bear hunt I was on this past June.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
The banquet next year will be in St. Augustine, FL.  Make plans to get there....you won't regret it.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
Welcome to PBS Lucas...and thanks for bringing up this topic.

I think you simply need to be a member for a few years, and involve yourself in the organization in order to fully understand and appreciate the benefits of membership. To me, PBS is about our people and their love of hunting with bow and arrow. It's the people that make PBS unique and different from every other hunting organization out there. We exist for each other, and not for political advantage or notoriety. Contact and time spent with fellow PBS members commonly leads to hunting opportunities far beyond what many dream possible. Your membership might lead you to any place on the globe some day. It might also have you sharing a camp with some of the icons in our sport...conversing with them 1:1.

When I hear 'PBS' I think 'Pro-Bowhunting Society'. We're not professionals in the way most people think of it, but we strive to excel at a level commonly associated with professionalism and integrity. That sometimes takes a while to absorb, but that's our focus. We're a group of do-ers who prefer to spend time together hunting or socializing. Our website simply offers a convenient avenue to share information and keep in touch with friends.

I hope you get much from you membership. Give it a run and watch what develops. Thanks.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
Well, so many positive and informative responses. I really appreciate it, I do. I think many of the hunters who hunt with traditional bows have it in their minds that killing an animal is slightly less likely than if they used a gun or compound bow. For my own part I really don't care if I do or not. It is obviously my goal, no doubt, but not a requirement for enjoying the hunt. I end up giving away most of the meat anyhow, aside from small pigs and some select cuts of deer. It's the hunt that I enjoy, the preperations, the friendships, the challenge. Seasons go by where I take nothing other than some small game, and I don't mind. If anything I look for ways to attempt even greater challenges, such as this year's "ground only" adventure. Just this morning as I was walking through the woods looking for good spots for this year, but from a ground hunt vantage point, I became aware of how different things are when you take stands out of the equation. haha. I'm excited. Thank you for the responses, again, I am happy to be continuing down such a lofty and noble road. Between tradGang and PBS I am certain that I have many adventures ahead.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cavscout9753:
Well, so many positive and informative responses. I really appreciate it, I do. I think many of the hunters who hunt with traditional bows have it in their minds that killing an animal is slightly less likely than if they used a gun or compound bow. For my own part I really don't care if I do or not. It is obviously my goal, no doubt, but not a requirement for enjoying the hunt. I end up giving away most of the meat anyhow, aside from small pigs and some select cuts of deer. It's the hunt that I enjoy, the preperations, the friendships, the challenge. Seasons go by where I take nothing other than some small game, and I don't mind. If anything I look for ways to attempt even greater challenges, such as this year's "ground only" adventure. Just this morning as I was walking through the woods looking for good spots for this year, but from a ground hunt vantage point, I became aware of how different things are when you take stands out of the equation. haha. I'm excited. Thank you for the responses, again, I am happy to be continuing down such a lofty and noble road. Between tradGang and PBS I am certain that I have many adventures ahead.
you sound like the kind of guy that is a perfect match for the PBS !!
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Welcome Lucas, those who have responded so far had pretty much nailed it.  Try to attend the Banquet in St. Augustine in 2016.  It'll REALLY help you understand what it's all about.  I can't think of a better group of bowhunters.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
St. Augustine isn't out of the equation for 2016. My mother lives in Sebring, Florida (about an hour south of Orlando) so I'm not unfamiliar with driving from Ft. Benning down to that way. My largest goal for 2015 is some of the traditional archery gatherings and shoots. I almost made it to the Howard Hill Classic this year but I was too slow in submitting the proper pass paperwork for work, so I missed out. Joining up with others for a hunt sounds great as well, I am the only guy I know who trad hunts. I know many bowhunters, but for them it's simply about the killing. I tell them they're missing the best part. Actually talking to a guy I work with today who only bow hunts, but he shoots them out to 50+ yards. Told him that's technically hunting, more so just killing, but to each their own. I've passed up shots under 20 yards, if it isn't right, it isn't right. Not worth a crummy shot to me. Luckily we have lands on post that is archery only which is great because once gun opens up everyone tosses their super-bows into the closet and grabs a gun giving me what is essence my own hunting land all to myself. haha. At least my serenity isn't disturbed by a rifle blast.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
Welcome Lucas, IMO i look forward to the banquets the most and being connected to like minded bowhunters for a weekend. Then we all leave and crawl back into our own woods and life and regroup every 2 years. However...............if your wanting to meet some guys that are for most part traditional equipment and bow only ......this is your lottery to connect and meet guys that will mentor you, invite you hunting and relationships grow. Who knows what elk hunt or moose hunt is just around the corner for you. I would also reccomend Compton and attending there stuff.. Same cloth guys and great bowhunters also.  I am next door if you need help.  Joey Buchanan
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
Welcome to PBS,Lucas.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
Welcome Lucas.  You should check into Compton's too.  Both are great.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Welcome from me as well. As with any organization you get what you put in. If you have kids check out the Youth hunts. We have made lasting friendships and shared many campfires on membership hunts and youth hunts. My son and I probably would not have shot Elk were it not for the PBS. Truly a great organization. If you have any old bows and other archery items please donate them to the auctions at the banquets. Trad Gang and the PBS are bowhunter essentials!   :archer:

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
Welcome to the PBS. I suggest you get involved and to as much as you can with the group. From the organized hunts Odd year gatherings that will happen in 2015 and of course plan now to be at the banquet in Florida in 2016.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »
I'm glad this has come up.  I have seen "PBS" a lot but never really know what it was.... took a look at the site and it seem like something everyone who cares about bowhunting should be a part of    :readit:  Now it's time for me to jump in too   :thumbsup:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©