3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Altitude sick... what helps.  (Read 666 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Altitude sick... what helps.
« on: August 27, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
I've been camping and hunting at anywhere from 10,000 to 8,000ft. for the last 4 days.I've been feeling progressively worse each day.

it finally hit me that I was probably altitude sick. I came to town yesterday (6,000ft.) and spent the night. I feel somewhat better.

Does anyone have any idea what might help. Meds should be over the counter...no drug store that I can tell so I'm stuck with what the local Quicky Mart has.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Altitude sick... what helps.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
I should add that I've got about an hour before I leave town and it's 11:20 mountain time on the 27th.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Charlie,

I hate to hear that your are sick on your trip. To my knowledge there is no over the counter medicine for Altitude sickness. However, if you double your normal intake of water, it will help you to recover and work to prevent it from coming back. Sorry I can't be more help, maybe someone else will be able to.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline medicineman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
I don't know any OTC meds that would help.   Drink lots of water.  If you are in a tent at night with a heater be as far from it as you can.  Better yet don't use the heater if possible.  The heater uses oxygen up.   Several of us were sick in CO one year and we stopped using wood heater and all got better quick.   (That was a tip from the local Dr.)
TGMM--Family of the Bow-

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
It is my understanding that the best cure is to simply get acclimated to that height which I believe takes 2-3 days or longer.  Of course, heading to lower elevation works too.  

I know some climbers take oxygen, but do not know how practical that is.  Ask a pharmacist what they recommend.

Most important of all is to not take this lightly since fluid can build up in the lungs and brain.  Just take it easy and do not over exert...and get some meds for the headaches.
Lon Scott

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
Altitude Sickness Prevention

Altitude sickness is preventable. The body needs time to adjust to high altitude. Physical conditioning has no bearing on this.

•For people who do not know the rate at which their bodies adjust to high altitude, the following preventive measures are recommended.
◦If traveling by air to a ski area above 8,250 feet (2,500 meters), incorporate a layover of 1-2 days at an intermediate altitude.
◦Avoid physical exertion for the first 24 hours.
◦Drink plenty of fluids, and avoid alcoholic beverages.
◦Consume a high-carbohydrate diet.
◦If mountain climbing or hiking, ascend gradually once past 8,000 feet (2,400 meters) above sea level
◦Increase the sleeping altitude by no more than 1,000 feet (300 meters) per 24 hours. The mountaineer's rule is "climb high, sleep low." This means that on layover days, a climber can ascend to a higher elevation during the day and return to a lower sleeping elevation at night. This helps to hasten acclimatization.
•The doctor may prescribe acetazolamide (Diamox) to prevent acute altitude sickness. This medication speeds acclimatization.
•If rapid ascent is unavoidable, as in rescue missions, or if a person is prone to developing HAPE, the doctor may also prescribe nifedipine (Procardia). Nifedipine is normally used to treat high blood pressure.
•Prevention of high altitude cerebral edema (HACE) is the same as for acute altitude sickness.
Medical Author:Eric A Nazziola, MD

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
Sorry to hear this Charlie.  Tough to deal with without prescription meds.  You should be getting close to getting acclimated, but everone is a little different.  You would probably enjoy yourself more by taking the time to drive to a pharmacy before heading back out to hunt.  Give me a shout if you can make it to a pharmacy.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I'm headed back up the mountain and will pay attention to the advice. I may check in in a day or three.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
Altitude sickness should not last 4 days at the 8-10,000' level for most people. Something else was probably going on.  Water was mentioned, and I'll second that. However, don't go so ape**** on water intake either.  You can overdo that, too.  Eat frequently and in small amounts.  Over exerting yourself could be a problem. My main rule as a 70 year old in the mountains is to ALWAYS walk slowly enough that I am NEVER out of breath. This may irritate the people I'm with, but the alternative is not getting there. And you'd be surprised how often I'm still going at the end of the day, while others have pooped out.

You may have a physical condition that needs to be checked. Have you had your heart checked lately?  Possibly you were fighting off a cold or some other problem.

Learn to power breathe and rest-step.  Power breathing means that you exhale as if you were blowing out a candle.  The back pressure increases the oxygen available to your lungs and is said to be the equivalent of being 1,000' lower.  Do this with every breath as long as you're aware of any problem. When you forget to power breathe, hopefully that means you don't need to anymore. Rest-stepping means that rather than moving continuously, you pause at the conclusion of each step and momentarily take the weight off your uphill foot.  This rests each leg in turn and keeps you going a lot longer. It is most effective when you're going up a steep hill, particularly if you're climbing up a series of step-like rocks.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
Get hydrated, get electolites.  Both can be accomplished with sports drinks and make sure you continue to stay hydrated.  Extra calcium may help, Rolaids, Tums, etc. change the ph of your system and do help on a limited basis.  Ibuprofen also helps.

Take it slow and rest often the first couple of days.  It could also be something else besides Altitude sickness.  If you bave been at altitude for 4 days you should be acclimated already so watch for other symptoms.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
Godspeed Charlie. Return safely.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Tylenol, get to lower elevation, rest and drink lots of  water.  Sometimes it goes away soon and sometimes it lingers for a good while.

Good luck
Moon

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
I hope you get better quick Charlie. I regret this thread has been at your expense Charlie but there is information here that is new to me.

I love to READ about mountain climbing and have READ most books on the subject.(Note the all caps on READ -- I am not a mountain climber!) Yet, there were things here that I had never come across yet -- Power Breathing and Power Walking!  I can't wait to try this techniques. Thanks McDave!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
Charlie has plenty of medical problems including a bad back and two bad knees, moving slowly and cautious is not a problem for him. He knows how to pace himself while hunting in the mountains he's been at it for a long time.

The area he is hunting has a lot of roads up and down the mountain, his host Todd could be driving him around a lot showing him all the beautiful spots and possibilities and that could be getting to him. They will be there several weeks so I bet it will settle down for him I just wish I could have been there with them. Here's the area!

Look forward to the story's and new pick, it's killing me to be here and not there. Give me a call Charlie when you get to town and I will give you my remedy!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
Charlie, I had good results this summer at 11,400 ft with a product skier use. Boost is the name of it ,it comes small or large can the large can is like a 20oz bottle and fits in a pack well. Most ski shops sell it I got mine off big A. 95 % pure oxygen and can say 150 shots. Might look at it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Magilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Charlie, I had an outfitter in Colorado tell me to eat apricots. I don't know if it works but he swore by it and said it worked for him in the past.
Good luck, Scott
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Treadway Black Forest 60”  46@28
Treadway Black Forest 60”  47@28

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
Tylenol, get to lower elevation, rest and drink lots of  water.  Sometimes it goes away soon and sometimes it lingers for a good while.

Good luck
Moon

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
Apricots, like Bananas are high in potassium and are good for cramps though being well hydrated is even better.  Apricots have many times the potassium level of bananas.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
Charlie,

I was told to take a  baby asprin every day.  I tried it but had a persistent headache for 3 days anyhow.

Beautiful country. I hope it gets better for you and look forward to hearing about your hunt.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Diamox 250mg po bid
Never had altitude sickness or bad feelings again.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©