3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Altitude sick... what helps.  (Read 667 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Altitude sick... what helps.
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 12:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by The Night Stalker:
Diamox 250mg po bid
Never had altitude sickness or bad feelings again.
That is my plan for this year.  Starting 2 days before hunt, then for the first 5 days of the hunt.  After that, I figure I ought to be acclimated.

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 03:05:00 AM »
When planning my first hunt out west years ago, I was told altitude sickness was caused by a build up of acids in your body. I was given the advice to take two antacids (tums, rolaids etc.) before heading out every morning and as needed. Not sure what an antacid in your stomach has to do with any of this but I have used this advice on numerous high elevation trips ever since and have never once had altitude symptoms.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 04:00:00 AM »
We used hard candy and drank lots of water. Just carried a bag of assorted hard candies with us while hiking.  Chewed on one most of the time and no problems.  We took our son to the mountains one time and he had the sickness.  He took a break, drank water and gave him some candy and told him to just let it dissolve in his mouth.  About and hour later he was ready to go.  

His head was about to explode with a severe headache at the time.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
Nothing, except time, truly works to alleviate altitude sickness.  Not even excessive training at lower altitudes.  A 50 mile forced march hike at 600 ft does not equate to even a 2 mile mountain ramble at 10K ft.

I lived near Mile High Denver for several years, then went to work at 10K feet at the Climax mine near Leadville.  Still took several days at altitude to adjust to 10K+ feet.

Flatlanders coming to even 5000 feet haven't a clue...
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline nleroux2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
Take TUMS or ROLAIDS. Chew them like candy. As Dave said, don't over do it on water, but certainly keep hydrated. Drink enough to urinate regularly and it should be "perfectly clear".

Rolaids is included in every high altitude search and rescue kit.
I hunt; Therefore I eat well.
Currently in the freezer: Venison, Hog.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 09:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brian Halbleib:
When planning my first hunt out west years ago, I was told altitude sickness was caused by a build up of acids in your body. I was given the advice to take two antacids (tums, rolaids etc.) before heading out every morning and as needed. Not sure what an antacid in your stomach has to do with any of this but I have used this advice on numerous high elevation trips ever since and have never once had altitude symptoms.
This is exactly what I do, after getting altitude sickness I was given the same advice and it worked for me, many times. I was told cherry flavoered Rolaids so that is all I ever used but never got sick again.whats nice is you can carry a small pack in you pocket and anytime you start feeling it coming on just pop a couple and your good to go.

Might not work for everybody but all my buddy's that hunted with me over the years that got it and tried it worked for them to.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
Wow...I didn't even know he was going....just spoke to him last week...guess I should have chatted longer....man those are some nice pics.

I hope you get settled in Charlie.....and have a blast....wish I was there with you.  I cherish those days afield in WY more than you will ever know.

Take care my friend.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
Or, you could just move back to Wyoming!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
I had to plan ahead for the trip with the church kids to NYR in Colorado because only one of my lungs work.

I carried a couple of small bottles of oxygen with me.(Praxair)

I used it sparingly, sorta as needed and by day 3 I wasn't being affected any longer.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline 8Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
I know it's a little late for the first part of this, but what worked for me the last time was a combination of things...

1)Get to elevation a day or two before your hunt and  spend the time LOUNGING -- no exertion

2)Gatorade powder - take a Platypus bottle (weighs 1 oz)and an appropriate amount of Gatorade powder.  I drank a liter of it per day.

3)Ibuprofen.  I see several folks have recommended aspirin and Tylenol but they are not anti-inflammatory.  Everything I've read on this topic says the extreme headaches are due to brain swelling and anti-inflammatories will help with this.  I took 200mg of ibuprofen on a daily basis.  This is probably something most folks should talk to their dr about before doing but I'm a believer and I'll be well-stocked with 200 mg ibuprofen the  next time out.

I did take a few diamox probably 4-5 days before my last trip to the Rockies, but they made me feel light-headed and a little disoriented so I stopped  pretty quickly.  They could have still helped, it's hard to say.
"You will never have more joy in your life than you have discipline." - Matthew Kelly
"You will never have more accuracy than you have concentration." - Me

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
Charlie.  I hope you are doing well. I look forward to your updates.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
I talked to him a couple days ago and he's still fighting it some but a little better. Pretty sure we now what the problem is but not much he can do about it on the mountain. Don't want to give away any hunting news.

He's will be heading back this weekend probably, looking forward to Charlie's awesome story telling    :readit:    :bigsmyl:    

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Diamox saved my trip into the Umcompahgre Wilderness last year. Camped at 12,000 feet and have never been so sick ( headache) in my life. Diamox & advil seemed to really help. Just got back from Nevada ( Jarbridge Wilderness ) 8,000 to 10,000 feet. Took advil & Diamox as a precaution. No problems other than missing a big Mule Deer. Good luck. Hope you feel better. leaving for AZ Elk in Unit 1 next week. No elevation problems are expected.

Thanks, Randy Chamberlin

Randy Chamberlin
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
Last year in Wyoming I felt poorly for the first couple days...I don't remember our elevation, but we were in the Bighorn Mountains. We were running a cold camp(mornings) just so we could speed things up and get moving. In doing so, I was not drinking coffee in the morning. I can skip coffee here in Michigan, and it's no big deal.

Well, after dealing with feeling poorly and a massive headache, my partner (Mike Vines) said "drink some coffee dummy". I was cured with the first cup.

I'm not sure what it all means, but high altitude is no time to quit caffeine cold turkey.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
Living at 150' elevation and flying to Colorado to hunt at 9000' requires some pre-planning on my part. I usually start taking Diamox 2 days prior to leaving and the first 3 days there. We also spend the first night at a motel at 5500'before heading up to camp at 8500'. We always drink extra water and take it slow the first couple of days and feel good. Usually 1/2 way thru the hunt we make a trip to town to resupply, do laundry, shower, (hopefully check in elk) grab lunch and return to the mountain. It is usually during this resupply trip I feel poorly, ( 4000'elevation change) and require Tums, Advil, and extra rest. The next morning I feel great and good to go chasing elk again. Are you making several elevation changes?

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
TTT

any News Charlie?  I hope you had a  great Trip and the elevation sickness wasn't terrible.!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
I'm back from the hunt and want to thank everyone for the tips.
I've never been bothered by altitude before but I guess things can change as we age.

I never did really acclimate and finally decided to pull camp and head home. I could see the guys concern for me and this move would take some of the burden off them.

Todd and Tom are still on the mountain. The elk season is over so they are chasing grouse and deer.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Any close encounters for you Charlie ?  Or were you too under the weather for getting around well ?  Being sick takes all the air out of one's sails.
ChuckC

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 09:13:00 PM »
Hey Buddy! Sorry your hunt got cut short, but glad you're back in good shape!

Got some pesky whitetails up here that need schooled a bit....  :bigsmyl:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
Glad to hear you are OK!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©