3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hoyt Owners  (Read 465 times)

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Hoyt Owners
« on: August 27, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
How many of y'all are shooting hoyts?   What are you shooting, gamemaster, buffalo, dorado, etc. and what are your likes and dislikes.  I'm considering a new game master I found at a local shop for $519. I'm on a tight budget so I would like to here from users about the ins and outs of these bows before I invest.  

Thanks!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hoyt Owners
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
I have a Hoyt Buffalo,I have had a Gamemaster also.I prefer the Buffalo as it allows me to make tiller adjustments and alittle weight adjustments.Your on a tight budget I would look in the classifieds for a used one.I've seen good used Buffalo go for anywhere from $425 to $525 and have seen Gamemaster and Dorado go for in the $300 to $375 range.I got my Buffalo used with a Hoyt quiver and 10-GT 55/75 arrows for $500.Great shooting bow in my opinion,I like the deflex riser it makes it harder to torque the bow.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
I've been shooting GameMasters, and Dorado's for a while now.  I really like that I can get any ILF limb, swap out the bushings and use them on my risers.  Opens up a whole new world for very  little cash.

JRY, is right about the used market.  I wouldn't even consider paying $500.00 plus, for one.  Usually on Archery Talk there's some listed all the time in the classifieds.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
I've had a Gamemaster for about 7yrs. and  still feel that it is one of the best recurves I've ever shot. Deadest, most torque-free riser out there. After hunting season I'm going to up-grade to a set of Trad-Tech limbs to make an already great bow better. I've also shot my buddys Dorado some, same great feel with a little less riser mass. Shot the Buffalo the year it came out at Denton Hill - also a great shooter but you are limited to the Hoyt Formula limbs. All in all a great line-up from Hoyt - you really can't go wrong, but I agree with Jim about checking the used market.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
I have a buffalo
Two dorados with after market limbs
And a gamemaster II also with after market limbs
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Scott Grella

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
Don't count out the Excel riser and some BM limbs.  Makes for a dandy shooter and you can usually find them used for $250-$300.

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
I've had the Game Master II, Dorado and Buffalo. The Buffalo is my go to now but all are great, well built bows. The bridge riser on the Game Master took a little getting used to for me but it shot fine. I'm not a guy that babies equipment and all three have held up very, very well for me.

I would try to shoot them all and see what felt the best for you. If you're a tall guy/longer draw length I'd look for a 62" one. They just feel better to me. But that is personal preference.

Best of luck.
CJ

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
I own a Dorado. They are a fantastic bow. Real narrow throat and a shelf that is "Oh so close...." makes it a shooting machine for me.

The thing I like the most though is that when you have your limbs on,there on. Nothing moving and no adjusting.

There are some that say the factory limbs could be better performers but I have never felt that they lacked in that area. There bomb-proof as far as I am concerned.

Mine are going to get a face mask(camo job) in the very near future. I have a pretty cool scheme dreamed up that will utilize the woodgrain for the first spray coat and then go from there.

Like stated above,don't spend that much on one. You can get them for $350.-$375. in really nice shape. Good luck and Good Shooting,

Craig

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 01:47:00 AM »
Thanks for all the help!  I'll be lookin for a good used one!

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »
I shoot a Dorado also, super bow... I love the fit, very fast, points great. I'm very accurate with it. Zero hand shock. Like said they can easily be converted to ILF. You will not be disappointed...
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
I'm shooting a Formula Tiburon right now and I like the tuning ability of it. This is the first bow I have had with a plunger. The bow was loud out of the box but two tiny cat whiskers and it is as quiet as a recurve gets. The only things I changed was the grip because I hate a low grip. The riser was also top heavy and I had to put a stabilizer on mine. The bow is totally solid performance wise and Hoyt's metal risers are arguabley the mosty stylish on the market.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
I have a little different Hoyt...a Desperado...only made in 1996

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
that's a little high from what I see in my neck of the woods.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
Will Lancaster swap out the bushings for you if you buy them and the BM limbs?  I don't have a press.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 09:13:00 PM »
You don't need a press, you can press them out with a vise.  

Fittings can be made with 3/8" copper tubing and tubing cutter.  A 3/8" black plastic hole plug will finish it nicely.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
It's a great flavor if it's your flavor.  I was quite fond of the Dorado I had for a while.  Tough rig, solid shooter.  Find a riser and attach some TT Black Max Carbons to it, never look back.  Budget rig that will shoot like a custom bow costing 3 times as much.  The stock limbs aren't bad, but the Black Max Carbons are a whole level above.  That and you can also attach other makes of higher end ILF limbs like mentioned in previous responses.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
Hoyt makes a good bow , but that seems kinda high for a gamemaster. If you are tight on funds keep an eye on classifieds, you can often find a steal of a deal on Hoyt's.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys!  I will say te new bow I found was a gamemaster2 not just a gamemaster, I'm guessing that makes a difference?

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
Three GameMaster II's listed on AT now.  One for $425.00 including a $100.00 quiver, and another for $325.00 with case and shipping included.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
You can always find deals on used hoyt bows for sale you just have to act fast when they come up. I've owned a bunch over the years. I actually just traded a riser for a dorado riser that I had owned before as soon as I opened up the box and pulled it out I chuckled I guess it was fate
I love Bow Hunting

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©