3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Compadre Friendship Bow Continued  (Read 4158 times)

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
Compadre Friendship Bow Continued
« on: December 03, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »
Well Since Bernie has me listed on his site as a prolific bowyer I figured it was time to get back to prolifin'

This is a continuation of the Ferret friendship bow build along...... First we   "Finessed the Tiller"  

When my finessing went a tad south and I missed weight by a couple of pounds a sinew job was ordered by the doc to get the weight back up.

"Sinewing Compadre"
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Compadre Friendship Bow Continued
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »
After 3 months of letting the sinew cure I usually wind up with 1 1/2" of reflex..... This bow started with a bit over 1" of deflex and here are our results after letting the sinew cure for about 5 months...I actually had lift off on this bow there was zero tension on my tiedown strings.. Patience is a virtue when sinewing.....

Nice Profile now!!.....    :)    

With a little over 2 inches of reflex.....We moved the limb profile a bit over 3" with this sinew job..... I went with only 2 courses to keep from overshooting the final target weight of 45 - 50#........ Terry

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »
Oooooh that profile does look good! YEA BABY!   :clapper:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »
She's coming together Mickey....It was in the 30's this morning when I took the pics....A stark contrast to the 113 degree day she was sinewed on..... I've got some slight lifting of the rawhide at the tips that will have to be reglued when it warms up then we'll see where the tiller and weight are......   :D  Terry

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »
In the 30's in AZ? Dang I didn't know it ever got that cold there.Heck it's 34 here this morning. I'm guessing you and Debbie weren't in the hot tub this morning    :biglaugh:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »
A little frost on the cacti huh? Lookin good Terry, I thought you had quit makin bows it's been so long  :goldtooth:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
LOL.... Mickey nope no hottub..... It's gettin nice out there now though..... Ouch Dano..... I didn't think anyone had noticed.....   :bigsmyl:  Lots of work on the AZHoal homefront this fall gettin kids out in the field and tryin to get the word out didn't leave a whole lot of extra time for the bowbuilding..... I think my tools are feeling a bit neglected......When I finish up Mickeys bow I need to get movin on a Friendship bow for Mr. Wingnut...... I'm looking forward to some shop time..... Terry

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »
Time well spent Terry, I know the kids appreciate it. A bow for Wingnut, no pressure there.  :eek:    :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »
Yeah tell me about it.... Do you have one for sale I could pass off as my own??...   :bigsmyl:   Terry

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:  Heck I'm still tring to make one that makes me happy. I'm sure Mike will treasure what you make him.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »
Selfbows from Dano and Terry...  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »
Dang if I wanted one of Dano's I'd have made the trade with him. HMMMMMMMMMMM!  not a bad idea remind me at OJAM to work something out.  I need a Dano for my collection.

Now Terry I want one like Mickeys.  45 to 50 #s and representive of your work.  Sinew and all.

Your BushWacker will be ready to bring along on the Javie Hunt in Jan.  but don't hurry or worry about it.  I know you do it part time and we do it full time.  There is a difference.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »
LOL..... See what ya got yourself into Dano...Thanks for being patient Mike..... I've got some plans for the finishing touches on Mickeys bow..... Terry

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 08:13:00 AM »
Terry think it will be ready by mid January? I have a hunt planned in early Feb the bow sounds perfect for.(Hot dry south Texas)I have 8 flint headed cane arrows made up and my flint knife is finished...oh baby...Apache Ferret is ready!  :thumbsup:    :archer:    :jumper:

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »
:D   I think so Mickey......Looking at how even the reflex is Tiller should still be pretty much where it was before sinew with minor adjustments needed and then a little finish work..... Barring any major schedule conflicts I can't see right now it should be ready in plenty of time for Texas......Sounds like a great set up you are taking.....  :thumbsup:   Terry

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »
Ok here she is after some light scraping to get the profile evened up.... She has an even tiller at brace and this pic shows her pulling 40#@22"

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »
Is the left limb shorter? The right looks a little stiffer midlimb.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »
Right limb is same length Dano the tiller is dead even at 5" brace but the left limb is showing a bit strong at 22"..... I'm going to recheck and make sure I'm pulling from center and get everything back to even..... Terry

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »
For reference... Here's where we were before sinew:
38#@26"

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »
Wow looking good Terry. Sinew really upped the weight didn't it. Remember anywhere between 45 and 50@27 is good.  This is so exciting    :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©