3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Physical Training For Bowhunters  (Read 733 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Physical Training For Bowhunters
« on: August 29, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
I have always struggled keeping off my gut....it seems I have never been able to have the right mindset to combine good eating habits with exercise. This always results in either I'm thinner, but my strength suffers, or I am strong enough, but I am carrying too much weight and my stamina/wind suffers.

I recently started Crossfit. I am only a few weeks into it, but I think this might be the perfect bowhunters workout. It's different every  time, so I am never bored. It works every muscle possible, and it is aerobic at the same time. I am only a few weeks into it, and I feel it in my bowshooting muscles, big time.

I will be 52 soon, and I have a lot to do yet.....this just might ward off the "old mans" syndrome and keep me dragging deer and climbing trees for awhile    :bigsmyl:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Physical Training For Bowhunters
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
Ha Roger tell us more about your program.  I'm 43 and i need to start hitting it again.  Thanks.

Burton

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
Roger,
  You and I are the same age. I've been doing Crossfit for about 18 mos. Love it. Like you said, the variety of the WOD changing everyday prevents stagnation. It's challenging to say the least. As you've probably already learned, follow the certified instructors instruction on form and strive to do the movements correctly and don't emphasize the weights but proper form. Another piece of advice (you asked didn't you   ;)  ) is to strive for small gains over a long time vs. large gains too fast. It's fun. I can more than keep up with my 20 something kids and their friends. Plus, it allows me to eat all the BBQ I want on the weekend.   :bigsmyl:  

Take care,
Kyle

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
Thats great to hear Kyle! I agree...form is everything.

tracker1.....research "Crossfit" online a bit. It is basically a combination of calisthenics and weights, and you never (hardly ever) stop. It is in a class environment, and (for me) part of the motivation comes from the other people in class. Getting bested by a 20 year old girl doing pushups makes you work a little harder    :scared:

G. Fred Asbell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
I'm 62, I do 40-45 minutes of cardio five days a week. 2-3 days I do some light weights. I just retired from teaching a kids class in Martial arts and then there is the other stuff I do.....Kayak, yard work, 3/D shoots and such. I think it is important to do something, no matter what it is to keep things working well. No matter what...... stay active...!!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
I'm having trouble understanding Roger...do you go somewhere to a facility for CF class & workouts? Seems obvious, but then I'm a bit of a dope at times.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
Roger, I'm there with you buddy.  I've been increasing the mountain biking (single track is a hoot) as well as open trails. Did a 2.5 hour ride last Sunday and I feel it in my abs and arms as well as the legs. You'll definitely see a thinner version of me at camp in a couple of months.  

I think one of the big bowhunting side affects for me on this will be easier setting of treestands.  Even with my harness/linemans belt, the last two years have been a workout for me in setting my Lone Wolf sticks and stand.  Being in better shape will reduce the time and sweat it takes to put that up and will also make it safer.  

My wife and I love your crossfit slogan-'you can out work bad eating habits'.  I didn't used to think that way, but now I've come to realize that's true, especially approaching my mid fifties.  

Looking forward to seeing 'less' of you at camp.     :thumbsup:    ;)
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
Roger...you have found yourself a great program.  Lots of boxes and certified trainers around now but I started following it when everything was online.  Even though I thought I was in shape from running and weightlifting at one time, the high back country proved to me that I was no mountain goat.  TRUE cross training helped me take my game to the next level.  I'm a do it yourselfer (shocker, huh?) so I don't go to Crossfit gym but would recommend it if you can and will.  One of my hunting buddies turned 40 out of shape about 5 years ago.  He went to CF gym and just opened his own about a month ago.  It can be a life changer with no downsides.  Good luck!

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Kevin,
   You don't have to go to a gym (or a "box" as Crossfitter call it). Crossfit and most boxes post a WOD (Workout of the day) that you can do anywhere. There are also links to exercise forms and explanation on Crossfit and You tube. Personally, I like the box environment and getting one on one instruction. This link will tell you alot as well as check the "affliates" page and see if you have a box in your area. Being in OH, I bet you do.

www.crossfit.com

Thanks
Kyle

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
I like to hike the trails and bishop if you ever want to hit it.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
This looks interesting.  My wife and I have been looking at joining a gym, but this will definitely be a first stop!  Thanks Roger/everyone for the information!

Have a good holiday weekend!

Online TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
I am a big fan of the Crossfit style workouts.  The constant change up in the workout plans keeps your body guessing and never allows you to become too efficient.   I belong to a gym named EnduraLab which is basically CrossFit training for endurance athletes.  

I am also in my early 50s -- I have been doing this for about 18 months.  So far, I have lost about 30 pounds and have run 3 marathons. I want to extend the time that I can hang stands and climb mountains as long as possible!

Offline HuronArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Crossfit Brighton?

Rudy

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Yep...well done roger, good for you mate. I've been doing Crossfit now for the last two years and am a trainer at our local Crossfit box part time when I'm in my regular job that takes me out of town for 7 days at a time.

I can't speak highly enough for what the whole Crossfit movement and methodogly does for everyday life. If you want to be super fit and make it the the 2015 Crossfit games or you just want to regain your fitness... Then the coaches/trainers at any Crossfit gym will hit those goals for you...Period.

Roger look into starting on the Paleo diet mate. I jumped into that style of eating at the same time as I started training and noticed improvements within weeks. And when I don't follow that eating plan I notice a drastic lack of energy during WODs.

Also for anyone wanting to start Crossfit or any training for that matter my best tip is to scale everything and start off low/light. It'll be an ego check when you see some 25 year old girl lifting twice what you can so ease into it.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
Excellent Roger!  I have been very meh lately with the workouts so this might just get me back on track!  Keep us posted.     :readit:  

:archer:
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
Excellent Roger.  One word of caution.  I did cross fit also and was packing on the muscle, not losing weight.  Working hard at it for several months. My wife was in the class also.  She ended up with a stress fracture in her leg and had to drop out.  My schedule changed shortly after and I had to drop out.  I was talking to an Ortho surgeon on another matter and he said he sees a lot of 40 plus year olds as a result of cross fit.  

Like you were advised above, take it slow and make slow steady progress.  If you injure a  joint at your age (i am older) it will take a while to heal if ever.  

Good luck and stay with it.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline muddyIA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 12:29:00 AM »
4.5 years ago I started a program that involves cardiovascular kickboxing 3 days a week and strength training with resistance bands the other 3 days of the week.  It totally changed my life and I've kept off 35+ pounds now for 4 years.  It's a pretty popular program in some parts of the nation, especially the Midwest.  Love it so much I got certified and now instruct as well.  The KB and bands are great but the kicker is (as with any exercise program) is the meal plans and nutritional aspects.   You can't out exercise your mouth.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 01:01:00 AM »
Buy a farm house with a wood stove, garden, and raise your own beef.... Between fence repair, getting the garden in, putting up hay, & cutting and stacking 10 cords of firewood it's time to go hunting.... the only problems you'll have is calluses on your hands.

After 30 years of this activity you don't need an exercise program... trust me

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by HuronArcher:
Crossfit Brighton?

Rudy
Dexter...same folks    :thumbsup:

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
Lots of folks mentioning possible injuries, and that is a well advised caution. Just like shooting our bows, form is everything. I am NOT embarrassed to use a light weight while I learn the correct form for an exercise. Just like shooting a bow...too heavy too early will cause problems.

G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©