3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow effect on broadheads.  (Read 713 times)

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow effect on broadheads.
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
I started shooting broadheads a week ago, and no matter what I did I couldn't make them shoot consistently.  After a couple frustrating days, I decided it was the broadheads... so I ordered another brand, known to shoot well.  New heads came and result was the same.  I went as far as turning blades to all angles, and adding weight washers to the front... After I had pulled out the limited hair I had left I decided to try different arrows.  (I have been shooting 5575's and 400 spines, they shoot identical, bare shafted the same, and total arrow weight is within 30 grains. My mindset was 5575's are my "good" arrows, and 400's were laying around.. so if I lose them at a shoot, or stump shooting...)
So I screwed the broadhead on the 400 spine arrow and it flew awesome, it must have been a fluke, so I shot again, and again, and again. So out of curiousity I tried the original broadhead I purchased and yup they shot awesome to.
So now my "I don't care if I lose them" arrows are my hunting arrows.

Anyone experience anything like this? or have any logical explanation.

When I say I couldn't make them shoot, I mean erratic, at 15 yards, 1 would be 6 inches left and 8 inches low, and the next 1 would sail a foot over the target, and the flight was terrible, you could see the arrow doing crazy things in the air at times.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow effect on broadheads.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
Sometimes with Broadheads, It's a mental thing.
   If your arrows shot well with the same weight field tips, No reason they should not shoot well with Broadheads....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
There is no logical explanation for what you are describing...I long ago determined that logic and traditional bowhunting do not necessarily go hand in hand...shoot what works for you

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
Is the nock fit identical for both?

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
yes same exact knock
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
Of my limited experience, if my arrows are bareshaft tuned out to 30 yards, I have experienced  no surprises when switching to even wide BH's of nearly the same weight.

Erratic flight has been observed when my release has been compromised, possibly by overly concerning myself with BH flight vs nice shot execution,

As a bareshaft will magnify shooting flaws and arrow compatibility,.a BH will magnify the aforementioned even more.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
My only thought is if the 5575's had flat spots or didn't spin true?  They were blems, I know suposedly the blemishes are only "cosmetic"....

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
Of my limited experience, if my arrows are bareshaft tuned out to 30 yards, I have experienced  no surprises when switching to even wide BH's of nearly the same weight.

Erratic flight has been observed when my release has been compromised, possibly by overly concerning myself with BH flight vs nice shot execution,

As a bareshaft will magnify shooting flaws and arrow compatibility,.a BH will magnify the aforementioned even more.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Ya that doesn't make much sense. They should all be the same spine. Are they all cut to the same length?

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
yes same length

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
I understand the "me" factor, and my flaws obviously effect the flight of the arrow, and the accuracy.  But... why would my flaws effect 1 arrow more then another?

I only shot 2 of the 5575s and they were ones I have been target shooting all summer, I will try "unfired" ones, maybe there are flaws in the shafts due to use target shooting?

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Dj, I would love to help you out with some great advice, but i have the same struggle from Time to time.
 I think DDave said it perfect,
"There is no logical explanation for what you are describing...I long ago determined that logic and traditional bowhunting do not necessarily go hand in hand...shoot what works for you"  

I am still over a month away from season and have not checked my broadhead flight yet.  Maybe you should start a "support group", i'll be joining it shortly!   :banghead:    :dunno:
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Triphammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
What does the fletching look like in each case? With BHs, I've found fletch to be extremely important. If the BH can overpower the fletch, you are now steering from the front.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
Logically it would appear that there is an error in the parameters somewhere.  If these two shafts bare shaft perfectly but handle broadheads differently than then I would start over with the bare shaft testing.  I think you may find that they aren't bareshafting the same at all.

If that's not it then it's just magic   :dunno:
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Your broadheads are longer, making your arrow length longer, might have a minor effect on spine.  With carbons, length trumps weight with tuning.  Maybe?
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
I will shave off the fletching on an arrow of each and test...

I still don't see how there can be that dramatic of a difference.  And the erratic flight is whats curious, if I was consistentle hitting in an area it would make more sense.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
I don't know carbons from corn, but perhaps the inserts aren't installed true causing the broadhead alignment to be off.  Either that or the blades are overriding the fletch.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Triphammer:
What does the fletching look like in each case? With BHs, I've found fletch to be extremely important. If the BH can overpower the fletch, you are now steering from the front.
Yup.... you start putting wings on the front of your missiles...they can definitely fly different.
I'll bet the 400's had a different fletching.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
You never stated if the .400's are the same outside diameter as the 55/75. If they are slightly smaller, then you are effecting both center shot, and nock height. I would suspect some contact somewhere with the 55/75 is causing your erratic flight. Also, the 55/75 might spine a little stiffer/weaker than the .400.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
I don't know much except about the old aluminums that I shoot (2018, 2217, 2419), so excuse my ignorance...

Are the 400's that you are referring to aluminums?  Could it have something to do with the shaft's recovery rate as it flexes in flight?  I've read here on TG that carbon and aluminum have different recovery rates.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©