3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: broadhead target  (Read 759 times)

Offline adudeuknow

• Trad Bowhunter
broadhead target
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:08:00 AM »
i found myself with a dilemma this evening. i shoot into a bag target in my basement that has a fairly shot out core. perfect for stopping trad arrows. i mean it always stops them perfect.

i just purchased some new tuff head meatheads and got them glued on and everything went well. i had to  purchase brass adapters because i am shooting carbons. i cleaned out the ferrule and then glued on my heads. i proceeded to take a shot and my first arrow was dead center where i was aiming.

this is where the problem starts. apparently the broadhead locked itself behind some burlap and stuffing and would not come out. i pulled and pulled and worked it a bit and i somehow broke the glue bond and i was stuck with a very long and razor sharp broadhead in the middle of my target. i tried for about 15 minutes to no avail before the bond broke.  

there has got to be a target out there that facilitates easier broadhead removal.  

i would gladly make something as well. just need some direction from the awesome folks here with far more experience than myself.

this has never happened before and i have shot a lot of broadheads with no problem but getting that thing out took forever and i don't want it to happen again.

"I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: broadhead target
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 02:14:00 AM »
Yup.... there sure is brutha... check this one out

http://www.amazon.com/Rinehart%C3%82%C2%AE-18-1-Broadhead-Target/dp/B002UJ53EW

Offline adudeuknow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:31:00 AM »
i am familiar with that target. do you think it will keep my heads from sinking in completely. if i lose a head in that thing i will have to ruin the target to get it back.

Offline one more bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:16:00 AM »
I don't know how you've got any broadhead out before. I have an old shot up one at the base of a blob target and hit it once in awhile and it can be a bear to get out.
the blob works good, but it is abrasive. it will ware the finish off some shafts and the coatings off broadheads. the Rinehart works great. but them meatheads do eat it up. I got about a year out of mine with meatheads, love them B.H's I will be using them again this year.
Make sure the heads are cleaned out good. use a wire point brush, then swab out with alcohol and q tips and I then hold over a flame and burn the bit of alcohol left out, just a few seconds,  you should be fine. ive never had one pull off.
good luck to you this year
Steve

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 05:46:00 AM »
I use a Yellow Jacket broadhead target. Not to expensive.  I only use it for broadheads and it should last a long time.  I only shoot broadheads for tuning, then those arrows get set aside for hunting after a quick resharpen.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline adudeuknow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:02:00 AM »
thank you for the thoughtful response. losing heads in targets definitely sucks. i was considering trying to glue my heads with 2 part epoxy. i have heard more good than bad from the people i know in person.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Shooting a BH into a bag target is asking for misery.

Get some foam or a sand pile.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Nothing beats and old sand pile/pit.  I like just picking out a spot but you can use small paper balls for targets.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
a backyard dirt or sand pile is the best, if it can be done where you live.
ChuckC

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
ChuckC has the "last forever with easiest removal" option.  That is what I do at home.  However, if you must shoot broadheads in the basement (I do too when there is a blizzard outside - too many lost arrows!) and don't want to dump a load of sand in the basement (my wife said "no" to that) the foam target is a must.  I use a "black hole" foam target.  Mine is an older style and has taken a few years of broadheads, though I finally got one through it the other day.  I have heard good things about the blob and Rinehart too.  

As to a good shaft / head glue, prepare the head / shaft like one more bow describes and glue it up with JB weld.  I use wire gun bore brushes on the inside of shafts and 80 grit sandpaper for the inside of the broadheads and outside of the inserts.  Make sure everything is scuffed up good and clean everything good with alcohol before glue up.  I have NEVER had a head come off or insert come out of any type of arrow using this method and JB weld.  I use it on everything from fiberglass fish arrows to aluminum and carbon arrows and broadhead inserts without fail. Just be sure everything is perfect before you let it cure because it is most definitely permanent.  If you do get a head on an insert slightly askew, you can usually bend the insert slightly (use good inserts - I like steel ones) and get it near perfect.  I will say that in my experience the 3:1 ratio single bevel heads (I use Grizzlies, similar to the meat head)are a little less particular about being perfectly straight than other two blade heads I have used. The JB weld also works good for footing carbons with aluminum.  That makes one tough arrow!

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
If you get one stuck in your bag target, just push it all the way through and unscrew it. Hard on your target but you won't pull the head off.  I missed my broadhead target (I know, how could that happen?) and went through two older bag targets I had behind it.  I just unscrewed the head.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline adudeuknow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
thanks guys. i really appreciate the help. i knew there were better options for broadheads but never had any trouble with the bag because i always wait until i shoot them up pretty good before i switch to broadheads.

i own a blob and the one you see pictured above. i think i will use jb weld. it's even stronger than 2 part epoxy. i currently use quick stick point glue.

also, perhaps i will get myself a foam target. seems better all around. i just have never owned one. i was afraid to use my blob because i don't want the head burying itself and getting stuck in there should the bond break but if i use jb weld and people are claiming they haven't experienced any failures i will go that route.

Offline adudeuknow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
unscrewing glued on broadheads isnt an option or believe me, i would have pushed it through. my adapters are glued in and never coming out of my arrows again.

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
Go with the king

King Target

"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
20-30 layers of cardboard, doesn't last long and you don't want to shoot the same spot twice but for a few quick shots it works.
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
I use a knockoff "Block" type target with layered foam.  I only shoot broadheads into it when tuning in a setup.  The rest of my work is field points into a bag/hay bale or stumping for practice.  For a dedicated broadhead target it's not that bad and seems to last well enough.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
Take a Pizza Box and fill with spray foam.  Cheap and easily replaceable.

Duct tape it closed except for the little steam tab.  Put about 30#s of weight on it (makes foam denser and keeps box flat) and fill about 1/2 full.  It will stop a BH
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
I had a block 4x4 that I shot for 4 years ('09-'13) and never once put it inside it endure the elements and stoped everything you shot at it.  IMHO the best ever made.  If I told you how many arra's it's been hit with you find it hard to believe.  It finally bit the dust last winter and I'm going to replace it with the block black(it took the place of the 4x4).

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Wal mart buck commander target $39.00  has 2 BH sides and 4 field point sides. I shot woodsmans into the BH side . Very easy removal. Same with field points .  I usually don't go for commercial targets being they are over priced  and  paying for a name.  But for what I pay for arrow and BHs.  $39 bucks isn't bad.
Never shoot BHs into a bag target the target will own those heads.
I tried it once knowing I shouldn't  and ended up cutting the target to get my head.

Offline adudeuknow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 01:06:00 AM »
fingers,
i definitely learned my lesson this time. i guess i was just getting lucky for all of those shots or maybe this bag just isn't as shredded apart as i thought it was internally.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©