3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String wax causing noise when drawing recurve  (Read 401 times)

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
String wax causing noise when drawing recurve
« on: September 03, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
I'm looking for solution on how to get rid of a "popping" noise, which I believe is coming from my tacky string when it pulls away from the limb, as I draw my recurve.  I've laid velcro all the way up the string groove to the loop nock and I am still getting a popping or snapping noise sometimes when I draw… must be coming from the loops because the rest of the limb where it touches the string is covered.  Any ideas??    :help:

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String wax causing noise when drawing recurve
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
Is it a three piece bow? If it is a 3 piece bow the noise is coming from where the limb and riser meet.
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
If it is the wax.....wipe the string where it contacts the limb with alcohol.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
Very likely if the noise is still there after you put Velcro on the limb, then the noise is coming from where the limbs attach to the riser, as Henry said.  The primary place I have found this is in the alignment pin, because there is usually some movement of the limbs when the bow is drawn causing the pin to slide a little bit in the hole.  You might try putting some Vaseline or something on the pin and see if this eliminates the noise.  If it does, it won't be permanent, but at least you'll know where the noise is coming from.  Hopefully, over time, the pin and the hole will wear in and the noise will go away permanently.

With the exception of Rick Welch Dakota bows, which come with Velcro on the limbs, most bowyers recommend not putting Velcro on the limbs.  I don't know why, but I know they don't like it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
I like to use Bow Hush or wrap the end with some wool yarn where the string contacts the limbs.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
I just had the same problem with a 3 pc.
I put chap stick on the alignment pin for the bot. limb, and when I went to apply it to the pin for the top limb, I found the pin to be loose in the riser.
I cleaned the hole, and the pin, then glued the pin in the riser. Voila! Problem solved.
Ken Thornhill

Offline larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
Do what ron w said, I had the same thing happen with the string wax.
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys!  It is a 3-piece… ILF with a metal riser and carbon limbs.  The noise really sounds like it's coming from the tips, and I tried two different strings: one with a lot of wax and really tacky and another that isn't quite as waxy.  The less waxy one pops very little compared to the other one, so I really hope it's the wax and not the limb/riser interface.  

I will try rubbing the string with alcohol as RonW suggested and if that doesn't work call the bowyer tomorrow.

Thanks again.

David

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
it'll be in the string nocks. Mine make the same noise sometimes. Take the string off and smear a tiny bit of vaseline on the loops. The sound will disappear.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
I just tried removing the excess wax with some alcohol and the noise was still there, so I had my wife listen and she just confirmed that  it's coming from where the lower limb connects with the riser.

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
Think I got it… I took the limbs off, cleaned the limb pockets and made sure the screws were snug.  The limb pocket screw for the top limb needed about and 1/8th turn to snug and the bottom was fine.  I also put some vaseline on the springy things (not sure what they're called) that are at the end of each metal post on the base of the limbs.  Both springs were a little sticky before the vaseline so either that was the problem or the slightly loose limb pocket screw was making the noise. Either way, it's quiet now.

Thank you all for the help!  

McDave:  I will check with the bowyer about the velcro on the limbs.  Thanks for the heads up!

David

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
Kat,
What kind of glue did you use to glue pin to riser?

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
John,
I used Super Glue. I wanted something that would be thin enough to fill the small gap around the pin.
I have been shooting this bow daily for the past few weeks and it is holding nicely.
Ken Thornhill

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
Take string off and use wifes hair dryer on the area at both ends where it touches. Warm it up and rub it in good with your fingers n let it cool n try it again. But it also could be in the loop

Sorry didn't see you already used patch there. I'd say it's your limb pocket if it's not the loop.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©