3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Time for a break  (Read 418 times)

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
Time for a break
« on: September 03, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
I usually shoot my bow about 1-2 times a week during the off season.  As the season gets closer I tend to shoot more.  Here in about the last 2 weeks I have been shooting about everyday getting myself and my bow in tune with each other for the Indiana Oct. 1st deer season opener.  While I was shooting tonight I only shot about 10 minutes instead of my usual 30-45 minutes.  I could not get a comfortable draw or a smooth release.  My shots where all over the place.  So I figure a break for a day or two wouldn't hurt.  Do any of you guys go through this?
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Time for a break
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
It happens to me. I sometimes take months off from shooting during the winter. It always seems to help me refocus and shoot with better form.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Yep, soon as I feel it go sloppy I stop. Don't want my eyes and muscles remembering bad stuff, haha.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
Body needs a break sometimes, and sometimes the mind.
If I'm stressed at work I can't keep my mind focused enough.
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
Yep, the more I shoot the worse I get. I shoot 3 or 4 sets of three, and then call it a day. Anything after that, I tend to over concentrate, loose focus and shots just go wild!   :eek:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
I shot miserably when I got home from work today.  Miserably.  I went back inside, did the dishes with my wife, cooked some dinner and had a glass of wine.  Went out just before dark and shot the lights out, just like I know can.  Sometimes you just need to step away for a bit.  Frustration is bad and it snowballs on itself.  It's getting to be that time of year when confidence is perhaps the most important thing we can carry into the field with us.  Don't compromise it trying to "stubborn" those arrows to their mark.  Sometimes we just need to step away and get ourselves centered again.  It takes a hell of a lot of focus to do this well, when it isn't there it just isn't there.  One mans opinion.

Shoot 'em straight,

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
Once in a blue moon I will have something click and I will be off. I just go to the next style which has worked for me in the past and I am back on. Within a few days I will switch back and whatever it was will be over and done with.
This is why I generally work on three different shooting techniques off and on.
I don't want to try and figure it out. It will go away....unless I keep doing whatever it is that I am doing wrong. Then it will be a bear to overcome.
This has been my experience and how I have approached the fix.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
From a fellow Hoosier, it was super humid tonight.  I did a little broadhead tuning with a new string and I was sweating like crazy.  Not a pleasant night to shoot.

Relax and try again when you want to shoot again.

Offline tradarcher4fun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
I just went through this.  I try and shoot every day.  Some days maybe 12 shots and other days 40-50 shots.  This past weekend I was all over the place.  Felt like I was plucking the string and at times not coming to full draw.  Drove me crazy!  I took a couple days off.  Picked up a light bow yesterday and worked on form.  Shot much better and felt great.
Bob Lee Elite Classic
Stewart Slammers & Reflex/ Deflex
Toelke Pika

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
When I shoot (about 5 days a week) I shoot about 120-150 arrows, I use to as early as a month ago just stop shooting when I was all over the place but now I take it as a time to learn and break out the camera to see why I'm shooting like crap... A lot of the time I get a immediate response and on the next end of arrows I'm back on track, sometimes not, but at least I am becoming aware about what I'm doing. 1 thing I always try to do wether I'm shoot good or bad is quit on a good shot, at least I think it let's me go inside on a positive note lol
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline Whitetailarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Two days ago I shot a pine cone at 18 yards - yesterday I could hardly hit the target. Better today. When I am off I tend to over think instead of focus and it gets worse. You got to love traditional archery.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
The best practice of all is to shoot one arrow.
Just ONE!  
Then walk away.

I do shoot more than that frequently, obviously, but I do play the one arrow game a lot, especially in the fall. And you can play it multiple times per day.  One arrow when I walk out to get the newspaper.  Another later in the morning before I run to town.  Again when I check the mailbox after lunch. You get the idea.  

This year I have even started a list where I am keeping track of that one shot as "Kill" or "Miss"  The first shot is the only one that matters.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Deeter:
....I could not get a comfortable draw or a smooth release.  My shots where all over the place.  So I figure a break for a day or two wouldn't hurt.  Do any of you guys go through this?
Um.....Sunday.

Originally posted by Whip:
The best practice of all is to shoot one arrow.
Just ONE!  
Then walk away.
My redemption for Sunday is that I walked out last night and my first arrow was a perfect bullseye.  

homebru

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
I do not keep shooting when things are going from bad to worse. I put it down for awhile, sometimes as long as a week. For me, it clears the mind and provides a fresh start. If I stay in there and push it, the results are bad habits, not bulls eyes.

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by ISP 5353:
From a fellow Hoosier, it was super humid tonight.  I did a little broadhead tuning with a new string and I was sweating like crazy.  Not a pleasant night to shoot.

Relax and try again when you want to shoot again.
What part of Indiana are you from?
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
This is no lie. Last season I was shooting the best I ever shot. 2 weeks before the season. Target panic came back n put a death grip on me. I was drawing n holding at anchor for 2 sec then release well. It go me so bad I could even get to full draw!! Fought it for a week and a few days. Never got rid of it. Talk about ruining everything for me! I was bummin.

Bad bad shooting. There was no way I could possibly expect to do well on an animal. I put it away and had to get the wheel bow out. Or I was done for the season. I even tried working on my shot through the early season inside while at night. And I couldn't. Get a grip. Oh we'll stuff happens. I'm just very glad I had a back up. So my advice is to try and shoot very few arrows every couple days to maintain. Then that it. Go hunt.

Don't want to see you fall apart a week before the season like I did. Trust me. No fun...
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Beau J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
Most of the time when this happens to me I can simply draw, anchor and let down a time or two with my eyes closed, seems to reset something between my ears... A session of close range shooting at a blank target with no attention to arrow placement seems to really help too. I agree totally with only shooting one arrow. BeauJ

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
I love to shoot more then anything! but I felt like I needed to just stop for a while so I gave it a break for 30-40 days when I got restarted I felt refreashed an now Iam shooting better then ever.good luck hang tough   we cant forget its mental as well as fourm.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 05:16:00 AM »
When I'm having an off day I focus on my shooting process. I stay in the conscious instead of letting the subconscious have its way.

I just came off a 60-day shooting restriction (hernia operation). I was happy to learn that I didn't lose anything. I did try to rush some shooting with a new bow that is about 7 pounds heavier than I normally shoot.  I have a little bit of soreness in my drawing shoulder. That bow stays on the rack for now!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©