3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do any of you process a deer the next day?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do any of you process a deer the next day?
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Every time.  Skin comes off easier when the deer is warm and a fresh recovery.  Into the frig for 3 or 4 days.

Offline findbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
I made a walk in cooler 4x8x8 I used the cooling unit out of an old pop machine. My family has used for the last 20 years it will keep 5 deer 38- 42 deg. We leave them hang for a week you can tell the difference.

Offline findbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
I made a walk in cooler 4x8x8 I used the cooling unit out of an old pop machine. My family has used for the last 20 years it will keep 5 deer 38- 42 deg. We leave them hang for a week you can tell the difference.

Offline Bart S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
Almost always
64" TD Blacktail Elite, 60# @ 29"
64" Liberty longbow, 63# @ 29"

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
If it was cool enough, I would not hesitate to wait till he next day, or even longer! Down here though, it is always too hot, and you have to get them quartered and on ice as quick as you can. In the area where I hunted for the last 15yrs in S Tx, is is very common to have 90 degree days in Dec or Jan!

Bisch

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob W.:
A cheap fridge in the garage with some rack removed works great. You can even put some eye bolts for hanging quarters. How cold you keep the fridge and how you like the flavors to develop will dictate the time.

As an added bonus it keeps beer cold.     :thumbsup:  
Rob, we think alike on this one.  I get home,skin, quarter, and put it  in the fridge that I have in the garage.  I put baking sheets on the racks with wire racks on top of them to let the blood drain.  The drawer in the bottom is perfect for beer.

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
Yep,  ASAP once recovered.  I usually debone it all and put it in large bowls of water in the fridge.  I might add when I debone it I slice then as well.  Then with only slices in the bowls I fill it full of water and put in the fridge for 3 days changing the water 3x a day.  I'm not sure if this is correct way but by the time it soaks and the water is changed several times nearly all the blood is gone and the meat is very light in color.

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
Almost always have them packaged and in the freezer in a couple hours.  I don't know if it's the best way but I have never had anyone complain about the tenderness or taste.

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I have cut up a fair number, but always waited several days.  However, I got an old doe last night,and having a problem keeping the carcass cool enough,so I think I'll start processing tonight.

Good luck to all this season.
Tom - Fish Carver

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 06:20:00 AM »
Yes, here I debone and in the fridge within hours of the kill, keep for a few days and then process for the freezer. Good tasting and little waste.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 06:33:00 AM »
x2 on what shed hunter said, soaking in water in fridge for day's gets all the blood out and makes a world of difference in taste
John 3:16

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 06:36:00 AM »
During early season, always. Late season I'll let it hang for a day or two.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
most get the gutless method where I find them and the deboned meat goes directly into large bowls with plastic wrap over the top and into the frig.  Can sit like this for a week or more as you find time to process and does not look bad in the frig for those who have wives.  put a small plate upside down in the bottom of the large bowls to keep the blood off the bottom cuts.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
No, I will never process a deer the next day as that is when it is the toughest.

University of Wyoming did a study on aging venison.  Antelope to moose.  24 hours after the kill is when the meat is at it's toughest then slowly tenderizes.

Antelope 3-5 days
deer 5-7 days
elk 7-10 days
moose up to 14 days

Of course this all depends on proper care of the venison on good temp control.  They suggested 34-37 degrees, warmer speeds the process, colder slows the process.

You can also cut up immediately, but it slowly gets tougher for the first 24 hours, then reverses.

In a perfect world, I have my venison skinned, and quartered, crusted and into heavy cotton games bags and into the spare refrigerator within 4 hours.  Loins and tenderloins vacuum packed and into the freezer.

The beauty of aging is that you have a three day window to process and that's is good thing with everyone's busy schedule in today's world.

If you are pressed for time, turn the fridge temp down to 33, if you have to get it done, turn the temp up 38.

To me the quality of venison in both taste and texture is vastly improved with proper aging.

I have never been able to find the study again to save a copy for my records, I will try to do another search and see if it is back on the internet.

Edited to correct temps from my memory lapse.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
I debone all the meat with the exception of a deer roast and place it all in an 120 quart ice chest with ice.  

Daily I drain the water/blood from it and add ice as necessary to always have the meat covered with ice and letting ice melt through meat to remove blood.

After seven days, I process the meat by grinding up most of it (mix 40% Boston butt pork and 60% deer meat)to make burger patties, chili and other ground meat dishes.  Keep the neck roast, tender loins and backstrap.

I'll also make some sausage with some of the ground meat.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
I do all my own butchering, and many time do it the same day. Depends on temperature of course, but also my schedule.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
In Texas and Oklahoma, where I spend most of my hunting time, you almost have to process within a day or two. Even then the meat is kept on ice in a cooler until processing. No hanging it in this part of the country without a walk in cooler.   :banghead:

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
Here is a link
   Aging Venison- University of Wyoming, doc: B-513R

Reinforces what a lot of people here are saying from their practical experience.

I had not remembered harvest temp being such a factor, but it makes sense.  Living in South Dakota, we can harvest antelope at 100 degrees in August to deer at negative temps during the late seasons.

I have aged venison to the point of liver texture, but flavor was good.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
I cringe everytime I hear people say they soak their deer meat.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
I'm with CRS on this one , if it's cool enough I'll let a deer hang hide on for 10-14 days here in NY. Then process it myself.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©