3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do any of you process a deer the next day?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do any of you process a deer the next day?
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
here in Texas we don't hang meat - at least not like we did up north.  I usually have mine processed same day (too lazy to do my own anymore).
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
Oops.  Double. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
Aging done properly works!  There is a reason HIGH $$ beef is aged- kept dry (water dramatically increases bacteria growth), right temp, right humidity!  Some of these guys using a fridge or cooler are on to some good ideas- though I would watch humidity and temp.

My 2C to your post - if you can not get meat cool or get it away from the flies, I would much rather process as soon as possible. HOWEVER meat hung in the DRY cool shade (garage or cool area in the woods) and clothed to keep flies off can typically be hung for 24 hrs OR even more.  KEY is getting it DRY and clean.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
funny. I see some dont like soaking. I do a brine soak and get great results. same with beef.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
Been doing it in an ice chest for years.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
If we don't have access to a cooler, we skin and de-bone immediately, then soak in salt water to get the blood out of the meat.  For us, it makes a difference in the taste.

If we have access to a cooler, we gut and age the meat for a few weeks--until it has mold growing on it.

Aged venison is definitely better.  More tender, and has a different flavor--less "gamey", more like beef.  

Backstrap steaks on a gas griddle only need a dab of sea salt and black pepper, and about 45 seconds on each side...best meat I've ever eaten, and that includes some high-dollar steaks in some high-dollar restaurants.  

Ate at one of the more popular steak joints in Louisville, KY earlier in the year..cheapest steak on the menu was $65 'a la carte...I like our venison steaks much better.  Waitress was sure cute though.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
CRS thanks made a copy,makes sence to me.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
"Aging of meat—also called seasoning, ripening or
conditioning—is defined as the practice of holding
carcasses or cuts at temperatures ranging from 34°
to 37°F."

Above was taken directly from the article - Note it says carcasses or CUTS.  If you don't have time or a big enough frig to age the whole thing cut it up asap and age it before you eat it by planning meals ahead of time.  

The meat doesn't know if it is still attached to a hide or not and it can sit in my frig for a few days before I prepare it.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
Marshall- I think brine soaking is a bit different than hanging/aging the meat wet.

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
Marshall- I think brine soaking is a bit different than hanging/aging the meat wet.
I see. Thanks  :)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
Here in the south, most of deer season is hot, so unless a deer processing facility is close by or you have your own cooler, it is a necessity to ice it quickly. I prefer to age it, but have not really noticed a great deal of difference.
Sam

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
I am fortunate enough to have a walk-in close or at the places I hunt here in SC so I generally hang them skin on for 1-1/2 weeks then process.

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
Typically, if cool enough, I will let it hang in the garage for 24 hours with the hide on.  Then, skin it the next day and quarter it.  I put all of the deer in a fridge for 4-7 days.  Then, I take each quarter upstairs one at a time, de-bone and butcher accordingly.  I really want to get a grinder this year and start doing burgers.  A buddy of mine made some last year and they were the best I've eaten...ever!
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
I have soaked meat, and in fact that is how I "discovered" aging.  It was by accident, and I happened to do everything right.  The venison was fantastic.

If you are worried about bacteria, add salt, it retards bacterial growth.  You need to change the water every day.  I would also make it ice water if it is in coolers and not in a controlled temperature walk in cooler or refrigerator.

The only downside to butchering a critter right away is the simple fact that warm meat is a bugger to work with.  But I have done it when time is not on my side.

One of the best books I have ever read is by Eileen Clark "Slice of the Wild".  Has a fantastic section on caring for wild game, and the recipes are pretty good too.    :)    I have bought quite a few to give to friends who want to learn how to process their own animals.

She also has a great sausage making book that covers technique better than anything I have read. And those recipes are also pretty good too.
If you are so inclined...

There are many ways to do it right and everyone has their preference.  I am still learning and always looking for a better way to slice bread.  Great thread and always good to hear other theories, philosophies and processes.

But it still comes down to proper care, clean venison and cooled as soon as possible.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
Sometimes processed on that day!
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
Debone and in fridge. Usually in 1 or 2 days it's wrapped and in freezer. I do this anytime during the season. As I'm always hunting and try to get it done so I'm not wasting hunting time butchering. Thank goodness my wife helps me wrap
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2014, 01:13:00 AM »
Debone and ice down in a cooler, then you can take you're time about cutting and vacuum sealing the meat. If need be you can go several days, just keep the water drained, and add ice as needed. Its best to keep it dry. Frozen jugs in the cooler would be good for keeping the meat off the bottom and out of any melted ice. If kept dry it is so much easier to cut up, and water tends to grow bacteria they say. Everyone raves over my venison handled this way, when many say they dont like venison before. Never let a proccessor saw bones of deer meat, this ruins it !
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by TradBrewSC:
I am fortunate enough to have a walk-in close or at the places I hunt here in SC so I generally hang them skin on for 1-1/2 weeks then process.
A week and a half, you're asking for trouble.  But to each his own. Flush twice it's a long way to Washington, DC.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
I do if I have time, if I don't because of work schedule which is usually the case, I freeze till I do! It comes out fantastic either way!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
+1 on aging in ice chest...
+!on Randy- he hit the nail on the head!!!

I put my 120qt cooler on top of 2 5 gal buckets... one end has a drain...the other end gets a 2x4 to create a slope...

40# ice...meat on top...it is drained daily into the bucket... when needed more ice is added.. (Under the meat) process after 5-7 days depending on schedule...)

Meat can be ground anytime... aging has no effect of ground meat... HOWEVER, freshly ground meat always has more juice and more flavor!!!  (we buy chuck on sale and freeze... fresh ground burger tastes three times better than ground and then frozen!!!)  

Meat in ice water? NEVER!!! it loses all its flavor...

I vacuum seal all cuts... I bag all ground!!!

Iam a LAZY SOB...I do not enjoy the processing... I will make sausage and brats... Not because I enjoy the process...Because I enjoy the eating!!! Why do I spend my time and $$$ on hunting and throw the total results to some stranger, whose goal is to convert my $$$ into his $$$ with the least amount of time and work?

Half the processors around here will mix deer with other folks deer...won't age deer..will steal your venison...or really BUTCHER your butchering job!!!

I work too hard to entrust and waste God's providence on sloppy deer butchers....

I have one good processor who I trust but he is 50 miles out of my way... a large buck.. and he will earn my $$$ but anything less, I can do as well or better myself!!!

Alsohere in the south, in early bow season temps can be in the 90's in the evening... getting that deer on ice in under an hour PAYS DIVIDENDS IN FLAVOR!!!

If you take 4+ deer a year...
a couple plastic meat tubs.... a grinder and a vacuum sealer... the 2# or 1# bags for ground... you break even on the 5th deer... ten years later..I am $$ a head.... but most of all, I have a wife and kids who prefer venison or store bought beef or even the grass fed organic beef we buy a half a cow every year...

that is all because of the care taken from the shot to the table....

to many folks...t is not worth the time... the effort...or the money... To me, it is worth every moment and every dime...Because the dinners are marvelous!!!

[/url] [/IMG]
Here is a fresh ground smoked venison  fatty...with a cheese and chile relleno stuffing...  After lunch the next day, there are NO LEFTOVERS!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©