3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DAS Dalaa configuration? Help me decide.  (Read 822 times)

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
DAS Dalaa configuration? Help me decide.
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
When I first started looking at the Dalaa's I thought I wanted to try a recurve in the 60"-62"(17" riser) range. Now that I've done a lot of reading (both here and other sites), I'm not so sure. Up until now I have been strictly a longbow shooter. I have shot everything from BBO flatbows to my current favorite, a 56" aggressive R/D longbow. I only hunt and backyard shoot, so the most important attributes to me are (in this order): 1.Quiet 2.Forgiving 3.Smooth 4.Speed (all 4 would be awesome). I thought I wanted foam core because of the smoothness, but read that the wood is considerably quieter with less hand shock (not to mention significantly cheaper). I have a 28" DL and am reasonably comfortable with up to 50-52#'s, but was thinking of going with 45# limbs and maxing them out around 47 or 50# and possibly turning them down to 47.5(but would still have the option of 52.5). I am probably most comfortable with a low grip, but can and have shot the equivalent of the standard grip well. All this taken into consideration, what do you recommend? Recurve vs Longbow? Wood vs Foam core? Riser & limb length? Any thoughts from Dalaa owners / shooters past or present appreciated. It's a pretty good chunk of change, so I want to make as much of an "informed" decision as I can. Thanks to all in advance...Cory
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: DAS Dalaa configuration? Help me decide.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
DAS/Dalaa rigs will most certainly fulfill all 4 of your requirements.  The DAS connection is extremely quiet with the rubberized polymer pads that cradle the limb butts on the riser, and the threaded knob connections with rubberized polymer o-ring.  The whole system dampens vibration/sound very well.  As far as forgiving, with any DAS or ILF type rig on a riser that has provisions for off the shelf or elevated rests along with plunger hole, plus the ability to adjust draw length your adjustability is almost infinite.  You will be able to tailor the bow to your draw length and shooting style.  Try off the shelf with just a normal strike plate, or with a plunger, or an elevated rest with a plunger, it's entirely up to you.  Smooth?  Again, being able to adjust the limb bolts and tiller to your exact draw is something fixed bows just can't do except at the beginning of the build, and that's custom.  Essentially, any DAS setup or ILF setup will be custom for however you want to configure it.  The bow will be very smooth with stock Dalaa limbs, or if you want to experiment you can change out the bushings on just about any ILF limbs and try those with the DAS connection, or if you have an ILF Dalaa they will be plug and play.  Speed?  I'm certain the Dalaa limb offerings will be fast enough for anyone.  There are a few custom companies who make ILF limbs out there who will have limbs that are slightly higher performing and perhaps more refined, or a little fancier, but if you just go Dalaa all around riser and limbs, I'm certain you will not be disappointed.

Honestly, I have played with all types of high end bow setups, whether 'fixed' customs or ILF gear and the Dalaa stuff and you will either be overjoyed by the adjustability OR like so many of us will become obsessed and a little overwhelmed by it just trying to tune 'that little extra bit' of perceived advantage.  Hahaha.  For my 2cents, it's my opinion that the DAS connection is the quietest setup you can have with a metal riser bow.  I know it's subjective, and there will be plenty of ILF connection rigs tuned up to be quiet etc. and I have shot a few myself, but the Dalaa and DAS is a wonderful niche product, and really for hunting purposes using a 'modernized' tradbow, you can't really go wrong, not one little bit.  I say if you're feeling strong about going for it you absolutely should.  I know many guys on the boards have tried all types of custom fixed bows and in the end they end up with a Dalaa DAS riser with ILF limbs of their choice converted to the DAS connection.  Changing bushings is really quite easy.

Have fun!  Post pics of your new rig once you get it!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
As far as your other parameters...here's my opinions...

Recurve vs longbow/- very subjective, recurve will gain you a little speed, little bit different draw feel with more early draw weight, longbow will feel more linear/steady build to peak.  If you like that sort of thing now you might just want to stick with the longbow limbs.  Either the Dalaa ones, or maybe snag some Dryad longbow limbs and convert the bushings if you need to.  Personally, I'm by and large a longbow guy simply for the added convenience that if I forget my stringer or need to string/untstring quickly in the woods I can just push-pull my longbow rig and be done with it.  Longbow limbs will also generally be quieter/ you will have to do less to get them truly silent.

Wood vs. Foam?- wood to me will generally have a gentler shot feel, not that foam is shocky or anything, it just feels more 'lively'..again a bit subjective,  the biggest difference to me is not the noise level but the 'tone' between the two, foam won't necessarily be louder or quieter, it just has a higher pitch to what little sound it makes,  foam also has the advantage of being a more consistent material, so ideal for temperature extremes such as dead of winter or out in the beating sun, that's food for thought?

Riser/limb length?- at your 28" draw you have a lot of choices IMHO.  You could easily be happy with a Dalaa 17" and some medium length limbs, "probably" shorts if you keep the draw weight down.  For max adjustability I would go with mediums.  If you do a Dalaa 21" riser you could try shorts or up from there.  

You could even do longs on the 17" no problem if you prefer a longer bow.  You'll just have to crank down the limb bolts a little more to hit the sweet spot of efficiency for your draw, but as you probably know, you may not want to go too long on overall bow length at 28" or less so you can get every bit of power potential from the limbs.

Ultimately, the adjustability is to set the stackpoint of the limbs for your draw length, not really to give you a 'mult-draw weight bow'.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline schlaggerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »
I have a DAS with Winex foam limbs, far and away the smoothest and the quietest recurve I have ever shot. My friends say the same thing when they shoot it or shoot next to me.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by schlaggerman:
I have a DAS with Winex foam limbs, far and away the smoothest and the quietest recurve I have ever shot. My friends say the same thing when they shoot it or shoot next to me.
Dittos for me. I've owned some of the nicest custom bows out there. My DAS/Winex is my personal favorite for several reasons. Fast, quiet, bomb proof, and I can adjust it to hit exactly where. I want it to.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
By the way, I draw 27". I shoot long limbs on my 17" DAS riser for a 62" bow.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
yep to all that was said.  Das setups are very cool and very versatile.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
Winex limbs have all you are asking for. However, Bob Morrison makes Max2 in both longbow and recurve limbs. He's very easy to talk to and a call to him might help you decide.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 07:40:00 AM »
Das is an excellent riser, if you want to stick with a longbow mate it to a set of Dryads acs cx longbow limbs, mediums, to cover all 4 of your parameters. Winex, Max 1 or 2, border hex series are all top notch recurve limbs.

Lots of good info from nineworlds.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
Some great thoughts. Thanks to all who have responded thus far. I've been looking casually for a while, but started shooting an elevated rest this year and love it. It's just a simple stick on rubber rest, but it made a noticeable difference in my groups. That's more or less what really gave me the bug. I also like the idea of quick detach bow quivers and having a stabilizer mount for all kinds of accessories (from lights to fishing setups)...just kind of seems to be the best of all worlds. Don't get me wrong, I love the natural beauty of wood, but in this case looks aren't what kill. I feel anything that makes me more proficient (short of training wheels  :)  ) is something I need to consider.

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
i love mine rarely shoot anything else anymore.one of the great things is a new set of limbs equals a new bow  :bigsmyl: .one other thing i like is the weight in the riser seems to help me as well.i shoot mine off the shelf.
 i just went from a 58" 55lb rig with carbon black max limbs and sbd string to a set of 62" 60lb limbs with sbd string.
 shot an open 3d tourny last summer that had a speed limit on it so naturally i had to shoot through their crony out of curiosity i was getting 193 with the carbon black max,s
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 12:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by hnt2mch:
i love mine rarely shoot anything else anymore.one of the great things is a new set of limbs equals a new bow   :bigsmyl:  
This thought had occured to me as well, as much as I like to "tinker" it might actually be cheaper in the end.

Offline GreyCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
Nineworlds, thanks so much for your input... Im looking into a DAS and your knowledge is appreciated.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©