3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need advice on giving permission  (Read 859 times)

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
Need advice on giving permission
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
At my bowhunting only lodge I had a guy call (left a message) today asking if he could take some kids out on a youth hunt. I havn't returned his call as of yet. I lease farm land for the bowhunters. He wants to hunt the soy bean fields. He said he would really like the kids to get a deer. Part of me don't want this to happen but another part don't want me to turn my back on an up and comming hunter. Of course the kids will be using guns. Also he don't really want to support my lodge as far as staying there as he probably don't live too far away. I would like the area kept silent for bow hunters but I don't want to become the jerk I always complained about. What would you do?

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice on giving permission
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
I would explain that your lease is bowhunting only.  He needs to check on a gun club that might be interested in helping him out.  You might check around and gethim some tips on who or where to talk to or look.  Any public hunting in your area?  That may be something he hasn't thought about.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
Yes lots of public hnting. But I think he wants a slam dunk. This is another thing. I think a kid needs to learn to hunt. At my lodge (with a gun) all you need to do is get out of the truck and blast one.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
I agree, make it sound like a done deal, you lease for archery only and gunfire is not a good mix, maybe not even allowed per agreements..

Would like to help, but hands are tied.
CHuckC

Offline Jeremy Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
when I was a kid there was a guy who had a hunting lease that was for bow hunters. but to help manage the does he would let youth hunters shoot does on a week that he would choose some years it was early season some years it was late. he would take us out put us in ground blinds with our dads or older brothers or someone supervising us. Then he would come pick us and our deer up. got us thinking and seeing what deer management was all about at a early age.
Thunderhorn  3 piece Heartstopper 60" 57# @ 28"

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
I would let them hunt but say that they had to use a bow and offer to teach them to shoot and set up their equipment. You can build a bowhunter for life doing that.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
Lease is for archery only. I'd say 'no'. Your  bowhunter customers might be disappointed if you allowed rifle hunts on the property.

Online Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
First gut reaction sounds like a poor situation for you and your lease if you do not previously know this person. In the spirit of brainstorming different possible solutions what about verbally  expressing an interest in supporting his youth hunters within the context and parameters of your current hunting set up. Rather than change all the rules for the kids possibly choose a weekend to include them, introduce them to hunting as you and yours do it. They may not be archery hunting ready but imagine the possible experience you could give and share with them. Some variation of this would give you control over what strangers are doing on your property, maintain the parameters set for the land and introduce the young one to very possibly an amazing experience in traditional hunting that they may otherwise never get. Just thoughts from my couch to yours, best of luck.
P.S. I'm sure he would decline and take the kids and guns somewhere else and blaze away over another field letting you off the hook any ways.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
I would ask if he knew that this area was bowhunting only and a for profit business. I would then ask him to stop calling me.

Sorry, I love to get kids into the outdoor sports but not like this. If you were a member and asked me to sponsor a kids day... maybe. If you were an organization like kicking bear... probably.

I used to have a very good property on which I would do invites for the less fortunate every year but I didn't involve myself with charity to people I knew nothing about or whom knew nothing about me.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
Kill',
I agree 100% with these guys.  Either figure something out along the lines of what Scott E is describing, OR you should politely decline for the above reasons.  Sorry to say, but those kids don't "need" to "get a deer".  I would offer archery only or the highway, respectfully.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
I probably would not allow it. If your lodge is bow only, your patrons could feel a bit cheated to have gun hunters on the place, kids or not. I don't think archery is a solution, either. You can't make them proficient archers in this short time. As much as you would like to help, this may not be one of those times where it is practical.
Sam

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
Tell him it's bow only and direct him to another operation that would allow rifle hunting with a good success ratio.

.... those kids don't "need" to "get a deer" ....

True words 9worlds!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
It's your lease, why be uncomfortable?
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
The lease I manage is trad archery only(except for owners one nephew in gun season).

I've had to say no a couple times to gun guys and wheel bows.

That's just the way the lease is written and I have to abide by it to be fair to the guys who hunt here.

Bowhunting only lodge, not unreasonable to say no to a gun hunter. That is probably partly the reason some bowhunters come there.

Just my .02
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline HuronArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
Well said JAG.  x2

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
Explain its a bow only lease.  Offer them a a chance to return and let the kids hunt when they pass a proficiency test.

Depending on the style operation you run, may want to discuss with other paying members.

Who knows, may be the best thing that ever happens to them.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
Tell him to book a bow hunt for the kids and he would have to stay at the lodge. After all, it is a business not a charity.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
Kids aren't going to learn anything from plugging a deer with a gun tens steps from the truck anyway.  I know I didn't.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Scott E:
I would let them hunt but say that they had to use a bow and offer to teach them to shoot and set up their equipment. You can build a bowhunter for life doing that.
I would let him know that you are interested in helping young hunters get involved in hunting. I would then tell him they are welcome to hunt your property on specific dates IF they agree to hunt with a bow.  
homebru

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
It would open a can of worms if you let them in my opinion.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©