3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need advice on giving permission  (Read 858 times)

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice on giving permission
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
That's a tuff one but actually IMHO it's not, just like most folks here have said. Sure he's welcome but to hunt here but to the same rules everyone else has to abide here to hunt!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Online Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
I would have to politely decline. How well do you know the guy? I can't believe that he didn't want to throw some sort of support your way. If it's your land and people aren't paying to hunt there it's a different story,but when you have other people that pay to hunt there,it could be a source of tension.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
A friend of mine let some youth hunters on his land. One kid and his grandfather got on it.  When the deer came the grandfather took the gun and shot the deer.  He is also a hunter saftey leader in the next town and my brother.  His grandson squealed on him, but nothing was ever done about it. My friend ended letting the youth hunters on when  he went out to check and found three youngsters along a field waiting, while the fathers were trying to drive deer to them. Nothing against youth seasons, but stuff happens when over zealous fathers get impatient.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
I would take this as a good time to prepare a written policy on how the land is to be used.  Spell everything out as detailed as you think it should be.  Then have a polite and respectful conversation with this gentleman, and show him the document.  Tell him that this is the policy that applies to everyone, not just him.

Then ask him if they would be interested in learning trad archery!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
Thanx guys, I am going to feel better about telling him NO. Also he wants to coon hunt. This just keeps getting better and better.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
These days, a lot of people feel free to ask you for anything.  Unfortunately, so many people are asking for so much that legitimate requests can get lost in the crowd.  These days, we don't even bother to answer the phone unless we recognize the number or name that is calling. In my parents' day, they would drop everything to rush and answer the phone, because a phone call back then generally meant somebody was calling because they had something important or personal to say to you.  I'm not saying that the person who asked you for permission wasn't one of the few valid requests among the many leeches, but I am saying that we have to remind ourselves that unless we asked for or solicited a call from someone, we have no reason to feel guilty in saying "no," to them, and we have to say it a lot these days.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
Easy to want to be a good guy, try and get the kids involved.. Other side of the coin, maybe, when I make a request, ask for permission, whatever the case may be, it is with the prior knowledge that there is at least a 50% chance that the answer will be a no.
If you,re not comfortable doing something, you probably should,nt do it.. Think I heard somewhere that "no" is an opening and closing statement, requiring no further explanation..

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
It would be better to teach the kids how to shoot a bow and HUNT rather than step out of the truck and blast one.

I's say no myself. Besides he'd be on you constantly for other freebies.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
I hate to be the bad guy but telling him no will make less people upset than telling him o-k. Actually I can't believe he even asked. After all, would you stop by a Holliday Inn and ask to use the pool.

Offline Branpoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
If you allow it, what are you going to say to the next guy with kids, and the next and next.......

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by kill shot:
I hate to be the bad guy but telling him no will make less people upset than telling him o-k. Actually I can't believe he even asked. After all, would you stop by a Holliday Inn and ask to use the pool.
:laughing:  very funny but true
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
I told him no. He took it well. I dread stuff like this but it went o-k.

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
I told him no. He took it well. I dread stuff like this but it went o-k.
I know what you mean. Glad it all worked out  :)

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Yes lots of public hnting. But I think he wants a slam dunk. This is another thing. I think a kid needs to learn to hunt. At my lodge (with a gun) all you need to do is get out of the truck and blast one.
I would let him know that the lease is bowhunting only.  Help him find other options.  Hunting isn't a slam dunk.  It's hunting.  Hunting doesn't always mean killing.  it's about the total experience.

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
I think saying "yes" would/could open a whole can of worms. JAG had the short sweet answer.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
what Brother JAG said as it would not hurt anyones feelings and would be the right thing to to anyhow good luck on that.   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©