3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Squirrel,toughest animal in NA? (pics)  (Read 571 times)

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Squirrel,toughest animal in NA? (pics)
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
Did a little stumping and small gaming to get tuned up for opening day, this fella got a little to close.  Some fellas thinks squirrel no big deal, but these little guys get my respect, the hits they can take baffle me. Hit this fella with a 6oo grain arrow with an ace blunt out of a 60# bow, and he still had enough power to try and get back up the tree a second arrow was needed to anchor him for good. Thats like us getting hit with a 2x4 out of an air cannon. Toughest pound for pound game I've ever hunted.  I'm sure there are a lot of stories of squirrels leaving us slacked jawed and doubting ourselves. Good luck to everyone this year and be safe.  Joe

"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Squirrel,toughest animal in NA? (pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
Yep, first squirrel I ever shot, I shot it with a judo off a tree stump at about 5 yds (he crawled down the tree and had no idea I was standing there). I drew back and nailed him right in the side, he went flipping and landed on his back. I walked over to pick him up...he looked me right in the eye and jumped up and took off. Stunned both of us pretty good.

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
I've gotta agree,they're the Timex of the animal world.LOL

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
He's a big fella.......maybe Pope and Young!!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
Yes, very tough.  Nice picture.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
This one was shot with a judo head many years ago. The only reason it penetrated his tough hide was the bow was 85#

I hit one once with a steel blunt from an 80# bow, it knocked him off the side of the tree...he got up and made it back up the tree. That's when I started using cut off broadheads.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
Man that is a fat tree rat! He sure would taste great in my pot! Congrats.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
I've always said that if squirrels were the same size as bears, grizzlies would run from them.
Hogs are pretty darn tough, too.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
It happened like this. I caught this tough guy breaking and entering into the bird feeder. I gave him a verbal warning, and told him, next time, I'll shoot first and ask questions later! He did a superman out of the feeder about 10ft off the ground. I was impressed, but meant what I said.

My next encounter with him, I tried to sneak out the screen door, but he busted me. I gave him a warning shot into the dirt behind him after another superman.

I'm sure he made several more visits, undetected, throughout the week. One morning, I was standing in the kitchen, looking out the window, when I saw him trying to sneak in. I grabbed the bow, and headed out the front door. I got myself into position on the side of the house and waited. In he came, stopping for the easy grub on the ground before he climbed up to the feeder. As I was getting ready to draw my bow, the wind shifted, and the jig was up! As he started to bolt towards the woods, my arrow flew. A little high and behind.

Our next meeting, he wouldn't be so lucky!

I was walking along the drive on the side of the house, and I saw the little booger cleaning up after the birds again. I know that he saw me, because he paused for a second, as if to see if I noticed him. I went around the front of the house, taking note of the wind, grabbed the bow, and snuck around the side that I had just walked up. The stalk was on. This side provided good cover for my approach. When I had gone as far as cover would allow, I had to be very careful with my movements. I knew that if I just leaned out for the shot and surprised him, he'd be outta there like a bullet shot from a gun. So I just waited and watched. Only making the smallest of movements when he was preoccupied, with his head down. I was finally able to get a clear shot and into position. It was a far shot at 17yards on that tiny kill zone, but as I watched the arrow arc beautifully to the spot I was aiming, I knew the shot was true. With a resounding whack, the steel blunt found its mark, tight behind the front shoulder. I was astonished to see him get back to his feet and run off with my arrow still in him! As he jumped into a cedar tree, the arrow fell out and he began to spill blood. When I approached for a second shot, he still had enough life to try for a final escape. He scurried out of the tree, and into the tall grass. Luckily, my faithful companion was only a short ways away, and his nose led us directly to my quarry's final resting place underneath some old railroad ties.

It was a hard fought battle, but in the end I was rewarded with a fine trophy, and some tasty pan fried squirrel nuggets. (That's a 29.5" BOP arrow, and a 60" bow!)

Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 05:04:00 AM »
Nice shooting Joe.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 06:36:00 AM »
Good shooting bud, love squirrel hunting and yes they are tough!!! I got to put one of your broad heads that you sent me to good use this past spring. Thought you might like to know.   :thumbsup:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
Congrats Joe.  Squirrels are tough critters.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
For bang stick hunters, squirrels normally require heavier size shot than larger rabbits. Courser fur and denser hide. I've seen deer that had less thick skin!
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
Now you know    :D

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
Nice shot  :)

I disemboweled one with a Ribtek 190 and still had to bloodtrail him through a blowdown for 30 yards.

I nearly decapitated one and he scurried up a tree before realizing he was dead.  A bloodtrail spiraled up the tree for 30 feet.  There was nothing holding his head to his body but a small amount of flesh and the skin.  I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.  I would not fault anyone for doubting it.

They scare me  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Lol! Nice Ron.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
Nice shooting guys...I hope to get out soon so I can shoot a few bushytails myself and make some tasty squirrel pot pies.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Pan fried with squirrel gravy for the mashed taters..best eatin you'll wrap a lip around.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
Hey Izzy, that's awesome any pics to share?  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Ron that looks good and tasty!    :bigsmyl:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©