3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New- Alaska hunting info  (Read 842 times)

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New- Alaska hunting info
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
Bisch, yes the IBEP card is what they are after. You have to make sure you have it with you when your are hunting.

Offline adudeuknow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
i hope to be dead on balls accurate at 30 and beyond but i am new to trad shooting. i have shot a little over the years but never seriously. perhaps i will feel different if i can pump arrow after arrow into the killzone at 30 yards. if i lived there and it wasnt a one time thing i may feel differently too. i'll probably likely be dropping 20k in 2019 for a bear hunt. i like to tell myself i would take the recurve but i am hoping to harvest a bear. if i just wanted to take in the state i could do it for a lot less.
"I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me."

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
Same old same old their will always be someone telling us what to do and how to do it. Dictatorship the whole country is under one.

Offline adudeuknow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
i am glad some people are making a stink by failing on purpose and not passing with flying colors and shooting animals in the arse on purpose to get their point across. lol
"I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me."

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
Do rifle hunters need to prove their ability Saltwater Tom?
lll

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by killinstuff:
Do rifle hunters need to prove their ability Saltwater Tom?
My thoughts exactly!

I will bet you that there are as many if not more animals wounded with guns.

If you want to make people more responsible make them write there name and phone number on their arrows!
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
Killinstuff, yes on some hunts gun hunters do need to prove themselves. The sad fact is that with so many humans hunting and resources so limited some things have to be regulated and some semblance of ethics need to be at least proposed. The tests are easy to pass if you really want to.

For those of you that want no regulations, well, we could go back to the bad old days. Remember the buffalo and the passenger pigeons and 100 years ago the hunting you take for granted now, was almost nonexistent, no deer of elk etc. (can you say "market hunting and no regulations?" ) It is because of regulations that we do have hunting now.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
I don't see how having your personal info on your arrow is going to make anyone more responsible! Mistakes happen to even the most experienced and capable guys. People who are not ethical, or who cheat, will cheat no matter what the rules are. If I make a bad shot I am P.O.'ed bad. Some one finding a carcass with an arrow with my name on it is NOT going to make me any more responsible.

Bisch

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
Oops, double post!     :banghead:  

Bisch

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 11:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kodiak Kid:
Bisch, yes the IBEP card is what they are after. You have to make sure you have it with you when your are hunting.
So, the IBEP certification satifies the requirements, correct?

Bisch

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
I am with you Bisch, I went on a hunt, I believe it was in Maryland for Sika deer (20 years ago) That was part of the rules for that hunt. It does make you think before you take the shot!
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »
Bisch - yes, the same card from the lower 48 will work.

Tom - great idea posting this.  Surprised that you're in town, thought you would be up north.  I'm headed to Bruce's outfit next week for a couple weeks.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 03:37:00 AM »
I took an IBEP course in 1991 while I was in Anchorage and it was a great hunter ed. course. I never made it to the field day shoot, but a friend did and he said it was a fun 3D shoot.  He failed the course because he missed both shoots into the kill zone at a shoot that he said was about 28 yards.  He practiced a few weeks for that shoot and went back and passed the course.  I would like to take that course again but I don't think the course will the same in the lower 48.  I have never heard of an IBEP course in the lower 48.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2014, 05:09:00 AM »
Market hunting and making a bowhunter prove more than the firearms hunter are quite different.

I spent most of my career changing or eliminating nonsense rules. It's not "manning up" to conform to silliness it is bowing down.

I agree with posts above that I wouldn't go on such a hunt unless my effective range were more than I need for white-tails that I regularly hunt (season opens in 90 minutes in fact--rain will likely keep me out of the stand this AM). In fact I'm practicing at 30 yards and further these days to get ready for a moose hunt.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
This is pretty simple.

Take your states sponsored bowhunter ed from wherever you're from and be done with it.

It's not a requirement u take the alaska shoot (unless I misread the new requirements)  Only that it's a ibep-nbef or state sponsored equivalent.  Alaska is one of the few who've added a shoot portion.

Enough whining lol

Ps.... it's a 30" kill zone (roughly) shot at 28 yards.  It doesn't matter what one(of 4 targets)  you double only that you double one.

I'm mixed on the course as a hole (after being here 19 years and teaching it for a good portion of them).

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Bowild.  Muzzleloaders are required to show proficiency in alaska as well!

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
What AKDan said. X2

:deadhorse:
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
I was correct.  The old standard holds.  Non res are not required to take our course at all.

There's also no mention of any info on your arrow as one posted here.  Ak bowhunter assoc tried this and requested (successfully) it be removed the next year.

Here's the requirements verbatim

Non-Resident Hunters
All bowhunters must have a Bowhunter Education Certification Card on their person while bow hunting in all "archery only" areas of Alaska. Alaska accepts the NBEF or IBEP Certification Cards from any State/Province sponsored "bowhunter education specific" courses (not combination classes). Other state's bowhunting licenses, tags, stamps, age exemptions, etc. are not adequate to fulfill Alaska's requirements.

If you need a course before coming to Alaska please visit the National Bowhunter Education Foundation website for classes near you. Alaska courses fill quickly and you should not expect to be able to attend one without early registration.

The change is going from bow only areas to the hole state. NOT that you have to do any shooting heaven forbid lol!

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
 I got mine years ago. I'm an instructor and board member as well.

I believe everyone should take Bowhunter Ed but I don't agree with it being mandatory.

Does the rifle or muzzleloader toter have to prove his effectiveness - nope. (Only 25 states have mandatory field days for general hunter education and most of those don't test the nimrod's ability, just familiarity.
great point.
I am for proficiency testing anywhere and for anything but thats just not going to happen  :(

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
Marshall.  Again, yes it does happen.  

Archer really hit why I'm for the class as a hole.    I've stopped teaching mostly for two reasons.  Disgust overall in the number of people showing up who are basically shooting the first arrow for the first day mentality and really not only don't care but full well expect to pass.   And secondly seeing the course (though it's gotten better since it first wentto online status) it's really missing out.  There's more to being a bowhunter than most courses can give, however I believe it can do a much better job at it than it's (or was was when I teaching) doing.   The main drive was ethics.  Still is.  A rant for another day....and if you were in our shoes as instructors you'd understand when I said it's falling on deaf ears!

No one repeat no one fails the blood trailing.   Though a go-nogo station it's a teaching aid more than a test and depending on whose setting it up you'd expect to see a critter on the other end.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©