3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Bulls on Opening Weekend  (Read 1913 times)

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
Big Bulls on Opening Weekend
« on: September 05, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
The day before opening weekend my cousin and I hiked way in to one of our favorite vantage points to do a little scouting from afar. We spotted around 90 elk total, way more than we usually see in this area.

One group of 30 elk was on the mountain that my Dad planned on backpacking into with my Mom. The herd bull with this group was impressive. All morning he would run around the cows with his head tilted back. Of course we were too far to hear him bugle, but we watched him stretch out his neck and cut loose every few minutes.

We hurried off the mountain so we could catch up with my Dad before he packed in. We got out our topo maps and showed him where the elk were. The cows all bedded down in the wide open, but at 9am that herd bull got them on their feet and pushed them through a saddle. Since we have hunted this area quite a few times in the past we knew that on certain years the elk get in a pattern where they pass through that saddle twice a day. My Dad knew exactly where to be the next morning. We all wished each other luck and headed out to our separate camp sites for the following morning's hunt.

My brother, Danny, and I headed to the drainage where we saw the majority of the big bulls throughout the summer.

Danny and I crept through this beautiful area with that morning's elk sign all around. We must have barely missed them because we didn't see a thing and nothing bugled near us.

We all carry Garmin Rino GPS/Radios with us these days. It is fun to be able to check in with each other, or get coordinates to another's position with the push of a button. We all agreed that we would check in on the hour if it was convenient, but that we would make a real effort to check in at noon.

With the morning hunt mostly over Danny and I found a beautiful spot to take a break and eat a few snacks. 11am rolled around and I turned on my GPS to see if anybody else had theirs on. I was just about to turn my unit off when I got a half a second of static. I called back, anybody out there? A garbled message came back, something about a "bull behind the shoulder". I looked at my GPS, it was Dad!

"Come again Dad, what did you say?"

"I hit a bull right behind the shoulder. I thought it was a heart shot but I don't see any blood. I'M FREAKING OUT!".

My Dad asked how far away we were, and we told him it didn't matter.

I asked back, "Was it the big bull, and do you need any help?"

"Yes the big bull, and yes I need help."

Danny and I gave each other a big high five, we were PUMPED! Dad is color blind and cannot see red hardly at all, so him not finding blood didn't concern me. We gathered our things and started walking. We had a long, long, looooong way to go.

A half hour into our walk and we could finally see the mountain that dad was on.

Here's a zoomed in shot of the picture above. You can see the small saddle that the herd went through.

>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Bulls on Opening Weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
Five hours of straight walking, 1,000 ft down, and 2,000 ft up later, we walked up to my Mom and Dad taking a nap. My Dad just shook his head and said, "You guys are studs". I told him I didn't feel like a stud, and as I set my bow down I lurched to the side so I could yak in the bushes.

My Dad apologized for making us walk that far. He couldn't find any blood and spent the previous 5 hours zigzagging through the trees looking for tracks, blood, elk, anything. He said it was the biggest disappointment in his hunting career, and that he was flabbergasted. He thought that the shot was perfect, he saw the bull run away with only a small bit of his arrow sticking out in the crease of the front leg.

Even though Dad was bummed out I knew that we were going to find him. My brother is special, he has a sense, he has uncanny woodsmanship, and he's a total bloodhound on the trail.  I said, "Don't worry about it Dad, you got Danny here now, we'll find him".

My Dad told us the entire story and showed us the last drop of blood, if you could call it a drop.

Danny found a scuff mark a little ways down the hill from the blood. "Here you go Dad", he says. My Dad didn't think it was from his bull and told us that the herd ran the other way. Danny insisted on following the track. He reasoned the next few steps and walked through some bushes. "Here's another speck of blood!" Danny called out. Unreal, he doubled back?

Danny finds another speck of blood and then turns the corner around some trees, and there he was. My parents were napping within 50 yards of the elk. The bull didn't even make it 75 yards from where my Dad shot him.

My Dad did shoot this bull right through the heart. You can see the entrance in the picture below, and the exit in the next. In the entire 75 yard long track we found a total of 6 droplets of blood. He just didn't bleed through the legs like he obviously would have if the arrow went through his ribs.

Me, Danny, Mom, and Dad

My mom is TOUGH. It took us 4 hours and 45 minutes to walk back to the truck that night, mostly in the dark (we walked out that night to call for help with the packout). We kept having these nasty little storms come over the mountain and hammer us with sideways rain and hail. She had a hard time walking through all the rock fields and busting through the stunted pine. Not one time did she ever make a comment about how difficult it was. I was miserable, so I know that she must have been too.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
One more picture of the bull we are really, really hoping to find again.

Good luck everybody!

>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
WOW!!!!

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
Very awesome! Thanks for sharing that with us and the great pics!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Congrats to all of you to experience that together.  One a fine animal.

Offline AKP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
Wow! What an animal.  Congratulations!
LH Martin Hunter 45#@28
LH Chek-mate Hunter II 44#@28
LH Maddog Recurve 45#@28
LH Black Widow PCH 46#@28

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
Tommy,

You guys are studs.  That is awesome.  Ken

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
Congratulations!! That is a great bull, and to have the family there to share the event is priceless.
Good things happen to good people!

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Holy Crap, what a dandy.  Congrats to all of you for that animal.  Hard to believe the lack of blood for a perfect heart shot.    :clapper:
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
Fantastic!! congrats to your family.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Great story , congrats on the fine bull Tom.
By the way , never underestimate a good nap in the woods.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Wow! What a stud of a bull.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
Now that is one h*ll of a bull, congrats to your Dad and whole family for a job well done.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
What a family story!  Should be in a major magazine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
That's one nice bull!  Congrats!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline recurve3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
Congrats everyone!!

what a great Bull, and having the whole family there is special!
Tom

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Nothing better than to do it as a family.  Great Bull and congratulations to you all!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©