3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Speed to spare - what to do with it?  (Read 449 times)

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
Speed to spare - what to do with it?
« on: September 05, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
This will be my wifes first year hunting traditional and here is what I am thinking... Given some back ground.

She (like many) has good days where she can clean up at a 3D shoot at the far pin and days when she would be better off at the close pin. While 3D shows no ill effect (other than pride) if you have an off day, hunting brings on far worse implications when one is having that off day.

For this reason, it is my considered opinion that (for now) she should hunt in a range that shows her highest strength, good day or bad. IMO, this is a range of 15 yards or less.

Now with this said, the other issue is her generated momentum when using her hunting bow. .33 is the number with her Fedora.
Since her current arrow trajectory exceeds what is needed (as far as point of aim when shotgunning the arrow) for a distance of 15 yards, my thinking is to add arrow weight to the point of where the trajectory (visually) remains the same up to 15 yards.

I am thinking this would be possible, up to the point of adding 100 grains weight to the total arrow weight BUT not the head, which would effect arrow spine.
we have worked too long to get spine optimal to start messing with it now.

The question is...

Does this make sense (my line of thinking) and if so, how best to add weight to the shaft so that spine is not effected.

Thanks in advance for the input. I like to tinker and enough input on this thought might keep me busy till opener.   :D

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Speed to spare - what to do with it?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
Assuming you're not using wood, stuff rope in the shaft.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
From all that I've read on this site and others, a slow-heavy arrow at close range is the way to go for hunting... I would not care to shoot past 15-20 yards at deer size game... Best bet is a quiet bow with game unaware of you at the moment of truth.

Just my two cents.....  :dunno:

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2nocks:
Assuming you're not using wood, stuff rope in the shaft.
I have done that and seen poor to no results. The rope simply gives way on impact is my deduction from what I saw and it makes sense. Rope has no rigidity and therefore gives to compression, which doesn't aid on impact. Might carry through after impact but thats not much help when facing bone.

I tried this many years ago when it was suggested at the club and by the time I got through messing around in trying to make it work, enough people saw the results and themselves ended up going different routes.   :(
Back then, I ended up using carbon inside of aluminum but this isnt an option for her.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
You don't say what you are hunting or how soon. If it is deer and soon I would make no changes; a 500 gn arrow traveling at 150 fps is just over.33. I'll leave out the part about the sharp BH in the right spot-it is getting old!   :archer2:

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
weight tubes or weed eater line is another option. I didn't like the weight tubes because my nocks always popped off, preferred rope.  after gluing them in they were fine, added weight didn't seem to affect spine to me.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
I packed carbons full of fine sawdust.  Worked well for me.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
most people shoot out to 15-18 yds, let her shoot!becareful about getting in her head,if she does some good quality practice drills she will be fine ,she will have her  hands filled when a deer gets in front of her,good luck an have a great safe season.

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
You don't say what you are hunting or how soon. If it is deer and soon I would make no changes; a 500 gn arrow traveling at 150 fps is just over.33. I'll leave out the part about the sharp BH in the right spot-it is getting old!    :archer2:  
HAHA!. Thanks!....It is getting old  :D

Hunting deer. Yes soon...a little under a month.

You are o.k. with this huh?. Hmmm... I have been a little concerned but then again, I tend to really go for over the top myself.

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Plumber:
most people shoot out to 15-18 yds, let her shoot!becareful about getting in her head,if she does some good quality practice drills she will be fine ,she will have her  hands filled when a deer gets in front of her,good luck an have a great safe season.
Good point and I have only been encouraging her. Even said that she should consider the compound if she has any doubts at all.

Thanks

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2nocks:
weight tubes or weed eater line is another option. I didn't like the weight tubes because my nocks always popped off, preferred rope.  after gluing them in they were fine, added weight didn't seem to affect spine to me.
I have used tubes in the past. They seem o.k. but that isn't enough to get the 100 grains I was looking for.
Now that I am seeing more responses saying (in essence) that they think she is good to go, maybe I will just drop it?.
Anyone think she should increase arrow weight to gain momentum?.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
I'm not so sure you'll get what you're after if you don't want to redo the arrow itself, thus..back to tuning. Then again, I'm not so sure you (she) has anything to worry about at <15 yards either. This winter after season you can go back to the drawing board and work on either increased FoC or arrow weight, but maybe just use the remaining time to refine her shots and such. Happy hunting! A wife that hunts has to be great! Though mine always has a warm and yummy meal waiting on me, so its 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. Haha
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cavscout9753:
I'm not so sure you'll get what you're after if you don't want to redo the arrow itself, thus..back to tuning. Then again, I'm not so sure you (she) has anything to worry about at <15 yards either. This winter after season you can go back to the drawing board and work on either increased FoC or arrow weight, but maybe just use the remaining time to refine her shots and such. Happy hunting! A wife that hunts has to be great! Though mine always has a warm and yummy meal waiting on me, so its 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. Haha
Thats why I was thinking of playing arrow weight rather than getting carried away. If it doesn't pan out, I can just go back to what was working before.

Yeah, it is great. She is amazing.
Congrats on your own catch      :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©