3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Persimmons  (Read 575 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Persimmons
« on: September 08, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
As with our acorns, there seems to be a bumper crop of persimmons as well this time. I have trimmed out a few stand sites on three sides of two very large trees that are absolutely loaded. Just waiting for the frost and I'll place my stands and be there for sure.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Persimmons
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Persimmons don't do well in da UP (MI).  Dang it.  Course, there would be bears aplenty.
ChuckC

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »
I noticed that the few on our property were dropping like crazy already ...just laying there rotting.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
Yeah, they are bitter until they get a frost. I ate one, yuck! The wife asked me why I looked like a goldfish when I got home.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
If they are soft(ripe) you can eat them without the pucker factor but just give the a little taste first. If they are sweet the deer should be eating them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
Same here Tom. I have two persimmon trees on the farm I hunt.  It can be fantastic hunting over them if you time it right.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
My grandma made a pie out of persimmons about 50 years ago. I had a slice. I still have diarrhea...
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
^^^ Hahahaha ^^^
www.zipperbows.com

Offline CLOVIS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
Have you ever split a persimmon seed to see what is inside? It is very slick and not east to hold until it dries for a few days. No joke just do it. It must be split on the thin side. I am sure I am not the only one to do this.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Where I hunt the persimmon trees are also loaded, and lots are ripe and falling. Seems early for them to be ripening though, I too thought they ripened and fell after a frost.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
May just have been a coincidence around here or something. I'll check them in a week or two and see if the taste improves or there is some deer sign there. There were quit a few on the ground this weekend with no deer sign yet.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
About three years in a drought year the Persimmons were ripe much earlier than usual. We have four persimmon groves where we hunt with 1-20 trees each in them. Just discovered the 20-tree patch last week!  Some persimmons were on the ground due to wind but they were hard green.

I've put cameras by these persimmon trees in years past; possums, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, coyote, grey fox, and coyotes eat em.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
I planted 4 persimmon trees last year. I would have planted more this spring if I hadn't screwed up my shoulder. I will plant more next spring. I will probably be pushing daisies before they bear any fruit though.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
It must be a good year for them. I have some that I planted 5 years ago that are bearing fruit this year. Not much but a few fruits.  They are ones that I have babied. The deer like to eat the ones I don't cage.  Before this year I haven't seen any bear fruit before their 7th year.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
Two varieties of persimmons.....astringent and non-astringent.  One ripens before a frost, the other afterwards.  I only know cause I had to pick a fruit to research in a production class in college....lol.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
I never seen a persimmon until last year Charlie Lamb pointed one out.  They were tasty and pretty neat. we don't get them up here but can see why the deer love em.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
Be careful eating them before the frost. I have read that they have a certain level of toxicity to them.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
I have a bunch of them on my place, but the crop is slight. Persimmons taste great when they are ripe, but, as others have stated, they are horrendous when green. I am seeing persimmon seeds in fox and coyote droppings, so at least some are producing decent fruit.
Sam

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
We had a bumper crop last year, but so did everyone else.  I thought that I had hit the lottery, but the persimmons hit the ground and rotted on my place with very little deer sign around my groves.  Guess they must have had conditions that they liked elsewhere better.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
Makes a beautiful riser wood LOL
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB