3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wooden arrows questions  (Read 377 times)

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
Wooden arrows questions
« on: September 26, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
I have a couple of questions.  I am very strongly thinking of going to wood arrows.  I purchased a BW Recurve on this site about a year and a half ago and it came with a dozen wooden arrows all with field points.  I have played with them and love the way they fly and talk about quiet!  They weigh 700 grains. 125 of that is field point so that leaves 575 for the shaft and fletching. The bow is 60#@28" My question is what kind of wood would it take to get a 700 grain arrow 29" long.  I need something that will stay the staightest possible.  And also what do you use to glue the points on.
Thanks

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wooden arrows questions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Ash, Lami-Berch, Fir just to name some..

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
Could go with hardwoods....hickory maple. I use hot melt for tips on woodies.
Welcome to the fire. Great, knowing, helpful peple are the norm.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline JRH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
I second the Lam Birch...  AMAW has some great tapered shafts.  I touch them up from time to time with some arrow dip and a rag.  They stay straight and fly great at 700+gr.
A dowg that's in the hunt don't know he's got flea's....
JRH
Goose Creek SC.
Jeremiah. 29:11

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »
I ran across some laminated Fir shafts ar ATAR and they are just about as heavy as lam-birch and made some fine arrows.  Go with laminated hardwood if you want arrows that don't require as much work to keep straight.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »
Love my Lam Birch arrows,although not qiute as heavy as you want,mine are used for a 60# @ 28 recurve and longbow,and weight in at  about 640gr with  125gr WW.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »
I think ash offers the best combination of weight, strength, and straightness. They hold up well to stump shootin'.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Ash, birch and laminated birch will all give you an arrow in the spine and weight range you want.  If you want to go heavier, check out maple and hickory.  Hardwoods don't stay as straight as cedar, but they're not particularly difficult to keep in line.  Ferule-tite hot melt glue works good for affixing the points.  Good luck.

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
I use ash and, with a 175 grain broadhead, my 29 inch arrows come out at around 725 grains.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
A heavier head will give you weight and more FOC at the same time.

Offline stump man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
Don't think the softwoods will get you there on a regular basis (poc, fir, spruce, pine[chundo](sp)). Hafta go hardwood (maple, ash, hickory, birch, ramin, ipe) just my .02 cents

stump

Offline Buckhorn47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
My choice - laminated birch and ramin

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Can you tell what kind of shafts your current arrows are made with?  That would be a good place to start.  700 gr isn't that hard to get and hardwoods could get you even more.  I have some 26.5" 60 lb lam birch that go 700 gr with a 160 gr point.  A 60 lb BW will probably need an 80 lb spine or more for a 29" arrow.  I think you could get 700 gr in that kind of spine with hex pine and a 160 gr point.  Ramin would be another good wood choice.  Talk to some shaft suppliers and see what they have.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
I don't mean to start an argument, but why do you need 700 grain arrows? What do you plan to shoot with them? Cedars will be lighter, but if you are hunting whitetails, they are plenty heavy. Once they go through the deer, how far they bury into the ground doesn't matter much IMHO. They also have a much flatter trajectory, so it is easier to put the arrow where it belongs.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 05:46:00 AM »
Best heavyweught shafts are whisperingwind hex pines,

Offline hockeyref

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
30Coupe...
700 grains  for a 60# bow is only 11.5 grains per pound (within the 9-12 GPP recommended range). The biggest bonuses will be a somewhat tougher shaft and the bow will be a tad quieter (biggest advantage in my mind). The trajectory will not be too much different inside of 25 yards from that of a 600 grain arrow and you will get a slight increase in energy.

Now if you drop down to a 500 grain arrow you will notice it is a bit faster, and a bunch louder - you are now at 8.3gpp. I know folks shoot them lighter than that, but I don't want to over stress the bow.

You could achieve most of the same with even better penetration by going to a heavier head... Higer FOC, but now you have to mess with the shaft spines again to tune it up.
Steve Uhall

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
I have always liked a heavier shaft. Primarily for the quieting factor.  But one benefit is if and I stress if a bad shot is made them I have a little more weight to maybe get more penetration.  I have made shots in the past where I believe another inch or two would have made for a much happier ending to the story.
Thanks for all the advice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©