3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Because I had the Chrono Out... "Cat Whiskers & Speed"  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Because I had the Chrono Out... "Cat Whiskers & Speed"
« on: September 08, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
A few years back, I was curious to find out how much cat whiskers adversely affected my arrow speeds. I played around with the size of them and placement on my bowstrings. I tried to get a fine balance between minimal affect on speed and acceptable noise reduction. After a bunch of testing, I found out what was working in regards to my set up. The only thing... I forget to document it.

Yesterday I had the Chono out, so I decided to run some tests with my wife's bow. For each cat whisker ball, I'm currently using two 1 1/4" strips (the round ones). They each weigh 17grs per ball. I use a total of four on each string.

First I chrono'd my standard set up. For strings under 52", I have them set 8" and 14" away from the end loops on both sides.
With this set up, I got an average of 158fps.

To replicate a larger, single cat whisker, I situated both cat whisker balls at 14". This got an average of 157fps.

Next I left one at 14" and slides the other to 20". The average here was 154fps.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Because I had the Chrono Out... "Cat Whiskers & Speed"
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »

Then I slid the other one to 20" and both were at 20". This got an average of 152fps.

After those series of test were done, I decided to cut off one ball from each side. So now, there was only one at 14" on each side. 159fps was the average here.

Finally, I cut off the reminder two and shot it through the chrono. An average of 160fps was reported.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
Cool!  Thanks for going to the trouble.  Neat to see some numbers
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Please keep in mind, although I tried to be as consistent as possible, I didn't use a shooting machine. It was shot with fingers and Staci double checked my draw length mark on every shot.

As expected, the closer you move the silencers towards the arrow, the slower the speeds get. Given that you add the weight in the same areas, the more weight you add, the slower the speeds get.

Given my "unscientific" results, I've found that I can find a nice balance between speed and noise reduction for my bows.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
Pretty cool test Ry.  So does this change anything in your set up permanently? Did you happen to notice how much noise or vibration changed when you changed placement or removed them all together. Maybe the bow got quieter, but slower. Faster= louder?

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
Matty, years back I did a bunch of testing, including size of the cat whiskers. I found that I really like this set up and never found a reason to change. For strings in the 53"-55" lengths, I have them at 9" and 15".
The only problem is that I never posted my results back them. I had the chrono out, so I though I'd do a "quick test".

With my human ears, it did seem to get more quite as I moved the silencers towards the arrow. Vibration was hard to tell as I'm using a really heavy arrow for my wife's bow. I would like to re-do the test one day with a 9gpp set up.

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Way to go in getting this up here. I really enjoy this type of discovery. Thank you.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Interesting........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the specs.  Was always curious myself.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Looks good. I use the same size and construction of puffs that you. I only use two on the string at the top and bottom quarter marks though. I think most people that report large losses of speed and ineffective noise reduction are using too big a piece. The small 1 1/4" puffs are the secret to using them.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
I agree Jon,

When I have more time, I need to test some cat whiskers that are long and bulky, maybe even "tied in a knot".

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Very interesting test!
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
These tests are always good to have as reference and re tested with other methods. I don't have a chronograph. But this would be interesting to see how a bow performs with say string leeches or hush puppies, beaver balls or the like.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
We're on the same page Matty. I just need to buy all the current, popular silencing materials.

The only thing is that people may think my data is invalid because I choose not to use a shooting machine for my personal tests.

Maybe someone who has a machine would like to test this out for the Gang?

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 01:36:00 AM »
Great stuff Ryan!!! Really appreciate all your work.

Bill

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 01:51:00 AM »
Ryan, I think if your extreme spreads are pretty low it would indicate a machine is unnecessary.  A machine might give slightly higher averages, but if the spread between shots is not varying too  much then the overall results should be reliable.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 02:48:00 AM »
Thank you Monterey,

I totally agree, it's just I like to be cautious when I post "testing info" publicly.

I really enjoy testing with my tuned equipment and finger release. I had access to a hooter shooter, but I really didn't like how the arrows flew out of the machine given that it was a mechanical release. It gave me consistent data, but it wasn't giving me "real world" application of data.

I have my wife there with me on every shot and I have an arrow marked with my exact draw length. She either calls short, long or on during the whole time. I usually don't shoot until I'm "on" for a few counts. If she observed that I was too long or short right before the actual release, I'll scratch that speed. I also have an indoor lighting kit as it seems to be more consistent than the shade kit in the outdoors. On average, I'll hit a duplicate reading out of this system.

I appreciate your insight!

Thank you!
Ryan

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 03:54:00 AM »
Appreciating that arrow speed is important, I've mostly been concerned with noise level. I use your 4 ball system and like it a lot.
What difference in fps would one need to see a difference in arrow speed or penetration? Bare string is out perhaps as noise would be too high (in most cases), but is 5 fps difference noticeable in speed or penetration? Although I appreciate this test had nothing to do with penetration. And there is probably a host of parameters around that one.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Great review.  The two big problems I see with cat whiskers is attaching them the wrong way, and leaving them way too long.

I'm glad you noted that the closer they get to the serving, the more speed is affected, even though they weigh very little.  

That's one reason you don't normally gain much if any performance with a tiny string if you double-serve or use a really thick serving--all that extra weight goes to the most crucial point on the string.

I'm using a small ball on two points on the string and it works great.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
How do you get you cat whisker so nice?
They are perfectly round.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©