3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Because I had the Chrono Out... "Cat Whiskers & Speed"  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Because I had the Chrono Out... "Cat Whiskers & Speed"
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
Here you go RedShaft.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
Thank you Chad!

Yeah, when I first started bowhunting, I was taught to just tie a few long strips directly to the string (knotting the cat whisker itself). It was also recommended to tie them halfway between the string nock and arrow nock. Now those definitely robbed some speed

When I started to experiment, my goal was to find a way to have the same amount of silencing capabilities but without robbing performance.

For those that are wondering, this was just to experiment my preferred silencers with my strings. I understand there are other ways to silence, heavier arrows, different string materials, padding loops, string groove pads for recurves, etc.. When I perform my informal testing, I like to focus one one thing at a time.

Tom, yes I'm not testing for penetration, just trying to share how I came up with a silencing system without taking away from the performance of my strings. Although not necessary, I like to find the "best of both worlds" for my equipment.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
I understand there are other ways to silence, heavier arrows, different string materials, padding loops, string groove pads for recurves, etc..  
We can exploit all of these to get the best from our equipment.

When I perform my informal testing, I like to focus on one thing at a time.  
The best way to do it, IMO.  That's how I tune--work on one aspect at a time.

Keep up the good work!  I love to hear different opinions and tests on strings...especially when my results have been the same (makes me feel like I'm doing something right).

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
Good Stuff Ryan. I used your method for tying on catwhiskers back in January-Sold on it! Thanks Again for the video.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
Thank you and you're welcome Denny!

Chad, we all turn to you as the Authority on string building!     :thumbsup:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Ryan,I've found the standard 5" piece of catwhisker tied in a knot slaps itself and adds noise to the shot, but also dampens some at the same time.

I watched your video some time back and use your method exclusively now. Looks better, works better, what's not to love?

A shooting machine is not too hard to make , I made one from an old c bow release, a boat winch with flat strap and some scrap 2x4s, works great!

Leans in corner and clamps to workbench when needed...

Thanks for the test and the vid on the silencer installation!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
Ryan, you referenced the speed.  Was there a best location regarding sound abatement ?
ChuckC

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by S2 Bowstrings:
Here you go RedShaft.

Great video, thanks.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
Thanks Kenny!

Chuck, I really need to do the test again to double check for sound. For fun, I like to get some kind of decibel meter (if thats the correct tool). It seems that with all the playing around I've done, 1/4 to 1/3 from the end loops seem to work the best if you're using one silencer on each end. Because I like to use two, I tie them about 1/8 and 1/4 or 1/6 and 1/3 from the end loops.

Offline David lozzano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
really good info, thanks for sharing!
JK traditions Kanati 60" 53#@28
Morrison ILF 56" 48#@28
selway lil magnum 58" 49@27
Black Widow PMAX 60" 51# @ 28
Stalker Jackal 58" 52# @ 28

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 12:53:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by S2 Bowstrings:
Here you go RedShaft.

Thanks! Also thanks for taking the time to share your findings with us.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
I am to the point where I will only hunt with a bow that is dead quiet without string silencers...my stringmaker is very good at instinctively finding what will do that with a particular bow...I am sure that if Chad has a bow in hand he can do the same with BCY-X...that is truly the right material for many, if not most, bows

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
That seems difficult with a recurve without extremely heavy arrows. How does he do it?
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
I've been telling people for years how much effect relatively heavy string silencers and their position on the string have on performance. If you want the most from your bow, use the lightest weight silencers that do the job. Hint: It's not rubber.

To really see the influence, try the same test with bare shafts and see how much the spine is affected, too. I matched up a fellow once who had several sets of catwhiskers on his bow pushed towards the middle of the string, and when we removed them his arrow spine went up more than 20#! And yes, that can be extrapolated to arrow speed and penetration. I use several strands from an old FF bowstring and get almost no effect on performance because there is negligible weight added to the string. Relative to performance, adding weight to your bowstring is the same as adding weight to your arrow, robbing energy from the arrow.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
 Relative to performance, adding weight to your bowstring is the same as adding weight to your arrow, robbing energy from the arrow.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.  That's one of the reasons I don't like to double-serve a string, pad under the serving, etc.  It's adding weight to the most crucial point on the string.

If you want the most from your bow, use the lightest weight silencers that do the job. Hint: It's not rubber.
It's not that cut-and-dried.  How much does a set of silencers weigh?  Depends on how much you use.  

Everything else done correctly, I've found it only takes one very small set of cat whiskers to accomplish my goal of a very quiet shot.  The dampening qualities of rubber are not matched by any other material I've used.  SVL has made a literal fortune with rubber silencing gizmos, and other companies have followed their lead.

Not knocking other silencing materials--just quelling some misconceptions.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©