3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Removing Glue  (Read 506 times)

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
Removing Glue
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
I have a about a dozen of carbon Beman Center Shot arrows.  The fletches are worn out and few are missing.  Is there any other way to remove the old crusty glue from the arrow shaft besides scraping at it with a knife or razor blade?
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing Glue
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
I've had good luck getting as much as I can scraped off,and then using acetone.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
Zip Strip works well, then chemical for what is left. Next time use wraps.

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
That is plan this time is to use wraps.  I found out on my arrow that I wrapped myself that the wraps make it way easier to remove old fletching.  The arrow I am trying to clean up are ones that I bought pre fletched and they didn't have wraps on them.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Any idea what was used to fletch them. These days a lot of store bought arrows are fletched with super glue.
I use a dull pocket knife to start with. I get the worst off this way. Then rub down with 0000 steel wool dipped in acetone. I also have used 200 grit wet/dry sandpaper and acetone. I get a little leary using Laq. Thinner or MEK, do not want to know if it affects the carbon

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
A    Zip Strip  is the epitome of feather removal devices. As you can see, it ain't cheap.  Nor will it work very well until you get the hang of it.  Hint: use it flat side down. But when you do, you will whisk the feathers and glue off a shaft like an expert barber used to do (are there any more of them still alive?) with whiskers with his straight razor.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
Another vote for the Zip Strip......the only thing I use to remove feathers. I've tried other but IMO this works best for me. Great at getting the "pesky glue leavings" off of the shafts too.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Scrape gently. With a dull knife get the big stuff off . Then a little steel wool. Followed up buy some 99% alcohol .
Then use wraps.  

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
I hate the super glue for fletching.  Fletch-Tite is a lot easier to remove.  Have you looked at the  Bohning fletching tape?  Nice to use but you just need to make sure that you have full contact with the shaft.  Run your finger nail down the quill while gently pressing it down against the shaft.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Just be care scraping is the best way.I'll scrape as close as I can get and Then I'll lightly sand the old glue down on woodgrain carbons.One reason I always use an arrow wrap on any carbon I fletch.Smooth black shafts are alitte easier to scrape but the woodgrain ones can easily get gouged if not careful.I love Onestringer Trad wraps,gives me the look of a traditional dipped and crested arrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©