3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kudu versus Elk  (Read 683 times)

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kudu versus Elk
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
Great stuff!  Nice to see what the region looks like with the vegetation browned out and the leaves down.  We were around there in early July of this year and everything was still lush and green.  The heavy rains hampered our efforts as well and made for some empty sits over waterholes.

Excellent pics!

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
Well, I have to (attempt) to get some work done.  If I had any brains, I'd retire, buy a one way ticket to Africa, and hunt until my wife comes to fetch me up.  I'm sure my tongue would be dragging on the ground by then, the way it did when I took to the hills in the Finger Lakes back in my teens.  

Hopefully, I can finish this up tomorrow.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
Excellent read! sounds like a great time. On a side note, I was born and raised not far from you, Panama NY, down in Chautauqua County on the Chautauqua lake.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
Looks like a great adventure! Looking forward to the rest of it!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
Bob:::Great story and pictures.Cant wait to here more   :campfire:

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
Sunday, August 31 began like so many days now.  Up at 5:30;  Breakfast in the lodge with terrific conversation; hit the road at 6:30 just past pink light.  As we get to the blind, the weather is the same:  sun, blue skies, breezy.  Perfect blue bird skies every day.  We heard a helicopter early on, but for days now had not seen or heard an aircraft, nor did we see vapor trails.  South Africa had a way of making time stand still.  

Linda and I were together again with Elgim today at the far corner of the property, a full 11 kilometers from the lodge.  Because of wind, we went on, what I felt was a half hearted walk and stalk.   We put up a diker and steenbok to make our walk about interesting.  Mostly, we just enjoyed our walk about.

The wind eased as the afternoon came around.  And at a little after noon, we spotted several Red Hartebeests at our 12 O’Clock about 250 yards out.  It just seemed they wanted water as the lead cow was continuously facing us as they worked their way closer.  It was difficult to tell how many animals there were, but I put it at either five or six.  Elgim finally spotted what he thought was a nice bull with his binos.  

The follow on animals would dart around, move off to the right or move off to the left.  At times it appeared some of the others wanted to go back the way they came.  But, mostly, they spent lots and lots of time simply standing, facing odd directions.  But, the lead cow, eyes trained our way, walked slowly, stopped, walked.  Finally, without breaking eye contact, she laid down in the trail facing us.  She was about 100 yards out or so.  They were clearly on alert.  

Linda worked hard to get good photos of the Hartebeests, but they were determined to keep some of the bush between us.  So, she got few good pictures.

Here's another:

This went on for three hours.  The cow looked at us for at least an hour as she lay there in the trail when two warthogs came rushing to the water from our left.  They drank quickly, then began wallowing, making all kinds of noise.  They simply had a high old time of it.  

Now that the Warthogs had insured the water hole was safe, the lead cow Hartebeest stood and began walking to water at a determined pace.  I grabbed my bow.  The other Hartebeests followed.  It was happening quickly.  And, as if by magic, not five, not six, but eighteen Hartebeests appeared out of the bush and came to water.  It was the magic of Africa once again.  

The big bull came in on the right, opposite myself, and began watering behind three cows.  None of these animals stay at water long.  And you’ve got to take the shot there if possible, as that’s when they’re most relaxed.  So it didn’t seem like a good chance for a shot.  But, then as surely as day follows night, the first cow left, then the second, and third leaving me with a broadside shot, I drew.   My elbow hit the side of the blind because of the angle.  I tried again; no good.  He picked his head up and turned quartering away. I moved forward to improve my angle.  Still, I couldn’t draw.  

This was Linda’s first hunt.  It was her shot from that side, but she didn’t pick up her bow.  She had a blast watching so many animals come from nowhere.  It truly was a terrific sight.

But as quickly as they came in, they walked away and the water hole was empty again.  

We were getting long in our hunt, our remaining days few, and my frustration came to the surface.  I forced it back as best I could.   It’s bad when one creates expectations when it comes to nature, because nature doesn’t much care.

Later three cow Kudu came and milled around until pushed out by a Jackal as August came to a close.
Bob

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
Awesome stories so far!

Africa is a special place, no doubt! I will going on my 3rd trip over there next summer. And the first time I went, I was asking the PH how much it would cost to live there, and telling my wife she should get a job over there! I could live there easily!!!!

Congrats on the Guinnea Fowl. I got mine mounted and it is one of the best looking bird mounts I have!

Bisch

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
Oops, double post!

Bisch

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
Monday, September 1, was the first day of spring in South Africa, so said Flippie.  Today, I had a new PH as Linda and I split up.  Flippie and I were back at Quagga.  It was feeling like home.  South Africa was feeling like home.

As was the pattern, things were slow in the morning.  Flippie and I took turns napping.   Finally, I had learned something – I could rest while the PH kept a look out.  (About time I learned something).

Sometime after lunch, a nice male Impala came into water presenting me with a perfect broadside shot.  As I drew all I could think was that I had not turned my hat around.  All I could focus on was that moment when the string touched the beak of my hat.  It never did.  Maybe the angle of my hat was sufficient that this didn’t happen.  

At any rate, I had too may thoughts that were not anywhere near those that I should have had.  I shot anyway.  I was over the top by a mile.  Flippie looked at me like I had gone crazy.  I thought I had gone crazy.  He asked what happened.  I shrugged in order to prevent actually having to verbalize an excuse.  Any excuse would have been just that.  I refused to talk, hoping I could relax my thoughts.  (hint:  I was not happy.  This is not what I came to Africa to do).

An hour later, I had an identical opportunity;  a chance to redeem myself.  The arrow skimmed just under his brisket, the broadhead destroyed on a rock.  How dreadful!  I over compensated for the last shot and went low.  I should have simply forgotten the last shot altogether.  My confidence was shattered.  Again, I willed myself to relax.  That was becoming more and more difficult.

Unknown to me, Linda did similar from her hide.  She shot three arrows at the same  Impala, the first two of which he sniffed.  I’m told he finally looked into the air to see where these strange birds were coming from as her third arrow came whizzing past.  None of her three drew blood; none of mine drew blood.

With Linda, it was understandable.  This was her first ever hunt.  And, even though I worked with her daily for months, when the first flesh and blood animal stood in front of her, she learned that this wasn’t our back yard, and this wasn’t practice.  We weren’t in Kansas anymore.  Nobody can prepare for that first shot ever.  It’s strickly a “learn by experience” deal.  Welcome Linda to the brotherhood and sisterhood of hunting.

Back in my hide, I did what I could to calm down.  I know I shouldn’t, but I was feeling intimidated.  Feeling intimidated seems like a natural first instinct for me.  But, I know that’s not all there is.  I’ve come too far to let momentary feelings rule.  Still, I felt I needed a good explanation, and I had none.  

To myself, I knew I needed 100% focus at the shot.   All else needs to be erased from my mind.  And, that’s not what I was giving.  To Flippie I said I had lost my confidence, to which he related a story of a fellow archer who took months to get his mojo back.  Great, I thought.  

A half hour later, I asked to pick up my two arrows.  When Flippie agreed, I asked to shoot a practice arrow.  He thought the idea good.  I picked out a two and a half inch  rock under where the Impala had stood, drew slowly, aimed and ... Swack!!!  I hit the thing on the front third sending it like a tiddle wink for 30 feet, well beyond the water hole.

I put down my bow shook my head and laughed out loud!  We retrieved the three arrows and proceeded to wait for dark when we’d be able to bring the first of spring to an end, as we had so many other days in the bush.

As with other days, the sun got lower and lower; the time ticked past 6:00; past 6:10.  The sun was gone.  Blue skies were a memory. Gray was turning to dark.  Elgim liked to quit at 6:20.  But, the days were getting longer.  It looked like the hundreds of other days that have ended for me.  You don’t want to give it up, but you must.   I guess Flippie liked staying to the bitter, bitter end, unlike Elgim who hunted to the bitter end. Just then, Flippie, looking through his binos, said in an excited, yet controlled whisper “Bull Wildebeest ....  Big  .... get ready!!”  I looked and couldn’t see.  He said something about the legs, in the bush, outside the water hole.  I tried to see, thought I saw, but don’t know for sure.

I looked at my watch.  The radium dials reported 6:25.  I reached for my bow in my left hand and an arrow in my right.  I tried nocking the arrow without noise, but I couldn’t see the side plate or the arrow rest.  I put the arrow down and picked it up from a different angle and tried again.  I only was able to put the nock to the string from feel.  Flippie had asked if it was too dark for me, but I never heard him.  With arrow nocked, I looked out the window.  There was more light outside the hide than in, and I saw this huge sillowette.  I looked for horns, couldn’t make them out, and was about to say that it was maybe too dark to shoot.  Just then Flippie said "shoot."  As commanded, I drew, aimed for the place I know from so much experience was the spot, gave an extra half inch and perfect back tension... and the arrow was gone.

Flippie thought he saw the flash of the arrow through his binos and that he shot was good.  I didn’t see any arrow at all, though the shot felt great.  I did see the biggest animal I’d ever shot at take one great leap out of the water hole and hunch his back as he left.  Now, that was a good sign; an excellent sign.  But, still, I never saw the arrow go.  It could have been anywhere.  All I knew is that, when Flippie said shoot, everything in me was focused on the shot.

Flippie brought the Land Rover around, and we stowed our gear.  He left it running with the lights on so we would have a frame of reference as we went after the Wildebeest.

We found half an arrow where he first landed after his lunge.  It was covered in pink blood.  We tracked and tracked and tracked.  As is normal, we lost the trail then picked it up again.  At last, we came across two pieces of congieled blood, big around as a pencil and a couple inches long.  Flippie put the light to it and said, “Pink -  that’s good.”  I picked up a piece to make it more real to me.  He was right.  It sure looked like lung blood to me.  But, I stood up and looked back toward the Land Rover.   It seemed to me as if it were over 200 yards away.  My experience has taught me this was a problem, pink blood or not.  So, I said to Flippie, “Are you sure.  I’ve never seen an animal go two hundred yards on a lung shot.”  To which he simply said “Wildebeests are tough animals.”

We tracked a little more as he said the blood trail was light due to my two blade broadhead.  I asked if I should have used a 4 blade, but he said, “No.  The two blade will kill them just as dead, but the blood trail is somewhat reduced.”

We gave it up for the morning and Shorty.  I like Shorty okay, but know it’s not good when we have to have him.
Bob

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
Elgim was right on me at camp.  Ever the hunter, he knew we were late to dinner for a reason and he wanted the whole story and his excitement made him demand every detail.  I really enjoyed that in Elgim.  He wasn’t just a PH.  He was a hunter in love with the sport.  Reminds me of my friend Mark in Virginia who does an autopsy on every deer – after 200 or more.  Crazy dedication.

Linda asked.  She wanted to know what tomorrow will bring.  She was more subdued.  I told her it would be either a really good day or a really bad day.  For some reason, I was at peace with both.  Gone was the frustration of the Hartebeest.  Gone was the intimidation of the Impala.  In its place was just acceptance.  What is, is.  At last, Africa had me in its clutches completely.

This is the entrance to the lodge:

Here's a look at the lodge from where we sat for breakfast and dinners to the opposite end of it.

And another:

Bob

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
Tuesday, September 2 started like the others.  Except, after breakfast, we went to fetch up Shorty the tracker.  I was familiar with the drill by now.  We went to his house that was on the farm.  I’m sure they heard the Land Rover coming.  His wife and daughter came out to chat in Afrikaans.  Then Shorty appeared, pulling his belt tight, hearing the story, and off we went.  

Flippie had dragged his heel in the sand to mark the end of our work the night before.  We found that with little effort.  Then around the next tree, there he was – he was where he lay all night.  Fortunately the Hyenas and Jackals didn’t find him yet.  He was in perfect shape except for the broadhead sticking out four inches from his side.  

The arrow was far back, almost to the liver on the liver side.  We pulled it out and rolled him over.  The entrance wound was still girggling pink bubbles just behind the nub of his elbow.  It would have been a perfect shot had he been broadside.  I thought he was broadside the evening before.  But, the low light deceived me.  From his wounds I now knew he was quartering toward me at a slight angle.  As it was, the shot still took out both lungs.  So, it was certainly good enough.  Flippie estimated the horns at 26 inches.  He said it was a trophy.  I believed him.  This is the largest animal I’ve ever shot.  I was happy.

That evening in camp, Elgim insisted on taking me to the cooler where the skinned and gutted carcass hung so we could inspect the animal together.  This was a big, tough animal as Flippie had said.  There was no pass through as I broke a couple ribs.  

What started this thread on “The Dark Continent” was a desire to have sufficient bow and arrow for the job.  Well, this was sufficient.  But, I must say, I know I didn’t have “over-kill.”  And, I wouldn’t use less than I did.  

Upon request, we had tenderloins grilled over a Camel Thorn fire the next evening.  Those darn things are too rich for me, and can bind me up awful.  No matter.  I ate with abandon.

We did see four more Bull Kudu, two shooters, after.  But my Africa bowhunt was complete.

My Kudu is still in Africa ...  waiting.  The Gray Ghost, he's called.  He's standing completely still in the shadows of an Acacia Tree as I write – too dark, too still for the American, but easily seen by Flippie and Elgim.  

Though Linda didn’t get any game, this trip was everything she could have wanted.

For myself ....  I don’t know  ....  humm .... Africa has grasped me in her clutches...  As they say, "I think this here thing is gonna cost me some money."  
Bob

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Sir, a very fine read! You make a poor boy wish to travel to the dark continent   :pray:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
John, I hope you can make it some day.  I never thought I could afford it.  By the grace of God, I'm healthy at age 64 and still working.  That's how I've managed it.  We also got quite a discount because of the NY Bowhunters auction.  Linda was the only bidder at $ 500 for a $ 6,250 value.  

Of all the impressions, the abundance and variety of game impressed me most.  It was astounding.  The guys that live there and can hunt there don't know how lucky they are.  Where I live, the only big game to hunt is the Whitetail deer.  Not that I don't enjoy hunting them, just that I didn't know what I was missing until I hunted Africa.
Bob

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
Great bid for a great trip!  Glad it worked out for you and Linda.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©