3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Karma in Hunting  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
Karma in Hunting
« on: September 11, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
Does anyone else experience or believe that there is a Karma connection to hunting?

You have better success in taking an animal because of your respect for the animal and your ethical approach to the kill?

You have better success in taking an animal because you carry with you an item that was given to you?

You have better success because you carry part of an animal from a Previous harvest?

Just curious what other Hunters think about Karma.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Karma in Hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
Nope.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
Nope.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
X3
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
If one believes in karma in there life than why would it not be a part of your hunting as well . As for me  , my hunting has a deeper meaning than just a sport . I can only hope I bring good karma to my hunting .

May life's simplest things bring you the greatest pleasures !!

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Nope
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
Nope

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
I have taken things with me on hunting outings and trips, maybe to bring me luck or whatever. Kept them in a "medicine" bag I made....so far... It has not worked.......   :dunno:   Now I just carry my Dad's knife.....just because!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
Nope.  I believe there are two factors in hunting, skill and dumb luck.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
nope

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gooserbat:
Nope.  I believe there are two factors in hunting, skill and dumb luck.
Yep
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
Ron - It is going to work for you this year! I have a strong feeling that this is the year that you take a Deer with bow.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »
I believe 100 percent as the native americans did.  When one has extreme respect for a particular species of animal, they will be gifted in the pursuit of that creature.  For me it is bears.  They are by far my favorite animal and I've done extensive research on them and both hunted and watched them A LOT.  I have friends who have it with deer and others with turkeys.  

This all may boil down to the fact that we work harder to get close to those critters but I swear, I can't seem to step into the woods without running across bears and I would give up the pursuit of all other species over them.

I don't even want to kill them anymore but I have to as I have to hunt them.  That may not make sense but it's how I feel about them.

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
Etter - X2

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
I think I know what you're trying to get at, just not sure karma is an ideal term.  Karma being a term from eastern religion carries too much attachment to debt for past actions/ right vs. wrong, i.e. "sin" etc.  When I think of the concept you're trying to illustrate I think more of terms like the Lakota term 'wakan' which describes something that is 'holy/divine/mysterious' etc...the Lakota viewed many or most of the things around them as having some level of 'wakan' or 'medicine' attached to them.  Objects or actions could involve good or bad medicine/ positive or negative spiritual power or anima.  The Hoodoo word of African origin for it is mojo.  I like that one.  It is tied to spiritual power or luck.  Actually, on that note,  in Heathenry this concept is described by the term 'orlog', which can be described as 'moral momentum'...again, not 'moral' as in right or wrong valuation but rather 'moral momentum' involves "fundamental actions which determine our experience of the world around us".  Actually, I think this is very relevant to the hunter (or warrior for that matter)...one's 'orlog' basically involves all the things we have done and our ancestors have done to set our path on the wheel of time...fate.  Your orlog ultimately determines your luck/success.  In a way this is similar to 'karma' but it differs greatly in that there is no valuation of 'right' or 'wrong' attached to it.  It could be said that as hunters all of the things like scouting, equipment preparation, shooting practice, choice of prey, understanding of environmental conditions, ethics, what our father did or didn't teach us, etc all determine our 'orlog' in the field and our ultimate success in taking the animal.  Or something like that.  LOL.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
A strong connection with nature and animals has to up a hunters success percentage regardless of how you interpret it or if it is connected to a specific religion.

That said if Karma worked there would be a lot less millionaires, sports stars, and successful hunters these days.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
nineworlds9 - I think that you nailed it1

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
Not me

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob W.:
A strong connection with nature and animals has to up a hunters success percentage regardless of how you interpret it or if it is connected to a specific religion.

That said if Karma worked there would be a lot less millionaires, sports stars, and successful hunters these days.
I don't follow the logic on if Karma worked their would be less millionaires, sports stars, or successful hunter. I can show you quite a few from this category that equate their success with Karma.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
Nineworlds9, excellent points & you hit the 10 ring on this subject.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©