3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Karma in Hunting  (Read 1006 times)

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Karma in Hunting
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
nope.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
I (think) I understand what you are asking John... A few years back I started a thread called "How Would You Define A Successful Hunt?"... About 95% stated that game should be on the ground... The other 5% said just being able to hunt is success in itself...

Someone told me once, "With the way you hunt, I don't think you want to kill a deer. Maybe you want to be one instead!"... I have not taken a deer since I started with trad gear... Wouldn't have it any other way!

Just as happy getting close without a shot... But that's me...     :dunno:    

* Well Said nineworlds9 *

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Adirondackman:

Originally posted by Rob W.:
A strong connection with nature and animals has to up a hunters success percentage regardless of how you interpret it or if it is connected to a specific religion.

That said if Karma worked there would be a lot less millionaires, sports stars, and successful hunters these days.
I don't follow the logic on if Karma worked their would be less millionaires, sports stars, or successful hunter. I can show you quite a few from this category that equate their success with Karma. [/b]
The idea of Karma is linked to good and bad actions, thoughts, etc. Therefore if good helps bad would also hurt. My point is if that were true there are a lot people that should incur the bad part but do not.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »

Originally posted by Adirondackman:

A strong connection with nature and animals has to up a hunters success percentage regardless of how you interpret it or if it is connected to a specific religion.

That said if Karma worked there would be a lot less millionaires, sports stars, and successful hunters these days.
I don't follow the logic on if Karma worked their would be less millionaires, sports stars, or successful hunter. I can show you quite a few from this category that equate their success with Karma. [/b]
The idea of Karma is linked to good and bad actions, thoughts, etc. Therefore if good helps bad would also hurt. My point is if that were true there are a lot people that should incur the bad part but do not. [/b]
I follow you but what about all the good people with good karma they would be equally successful.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
There's no such thing as an abstract "force" that empowers some and afflicts others.  Whatever you call it -- mojo, luck, karma, etc. -- and whether one believes it guides animals, arrows or lightsabers, it's all bosh.  Superstition.  

But there is a Creator who made all things, who at times intervenes in His creation and blesses or afflicts individuals as He will.  So if one properly respects God's creation and ways, they may find things going well.  To casually dismiss that as an impersonal force, karma, or dumb luck is, I believe, disrespectful.

But the rain also falls on the just and the unjust, so sometimes things just happen with no rhyme or reason to it.

Nature, the animal kingdom, bowhunting, and hunting in general... they are all great blessings & privileges that we have been given by God, and I am thankful for the opportunity... But I direct my gratitude to the Creator, not the creation, mojo, karma, etc.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
˜o.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
We each believe what we believe.  Karma can be as simple as the one most deserving, the one most prepared, the one who placed themselves in the best position for that moment.  They all sort of sound the same, and are.  Call it what you want and attribute it to what you want.

May each of us be looked upon as deserving by whatever forces or entities you believe in.

ChuckC

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archie:
There's no such thing as an abstract "force" that empowers some and afflicts others.  Whatever you call it -- mojo, luck, karma, etc. -- and whether one believes it guides animals, arrows or lightsabers, it's all bosh.  Superstutious nonsense.  

But there is a Creator who made all things, who at times intervenes in His creation and blesses or afflicts individuals as He will.  So if one properly respects God's creation and ways, they may find things going well.  To casually dismiss that as an impersonal force, karma, or dumb luck is, I believe, disrespectful.

But the rain also falls on the just and the unjust, so sometimes things just happen with no rhyme or reason to it.

Nature, the animal kingdom, bowhunting, and hunting in general... they are all great blessings & privileges that we have been given by God, and I am thankful for the opportunity... But I direct my gratitude to the Creator, not the creation, mojo, karma, etc.
I'm not saying where it comes from. I'm just asking if you experience it?
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by mcgroundstalker:
I (think) I understand what you are asking John... A few years back I started a thread called "How Would You Define A Successful Hunt?"... About 95% stated that game should be on the ground... The other 5% said just being able to hunt is success in itself...

Someone told me once, "With the way you hunt, I don't think you want to kill a deer. Maybe you want to be one instead!"... I have not taken a deer since I started with trad gear... Wouldn't have it any other way!

Just as happy getting close without a shot... But that's me...      :dunno:    

* Well Said nineworlds9 *

... mike ...
Mike - I think that we are on the same page

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
I don't think so. Ive thrown away tons of lucky hats, rabbits feet and shirts when the luck ran out of them.

Either that or Im a bad dude without realizing and am reaping my just rewards.   :dunno:

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
There's no such thing as an abstract "force" that empowers some and afflicts others.  Whatever you call it -- mojo, luck, karma, etc. -- and whether one believes it guides animals, arrows or lightsabers, it's all bosh.  Superstition.  

Archie, I believe the closest equivalent to what we were discussing would perhaps be called 'divine grace' in your faith, or may relate to things such as 'chairos'.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
(

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
"Archie, I believe the closest equivalent to what we were discussing would perhaps be called 'divine grace' in your faith, or may relate to things such as 'chairos'." - no offense intended here but just not correct, I am with Archie, he has explained the Biblical perspective of this concept/phenomenon clearly.
Rom 1:20

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
I think everyone should speak in terms of "I believe", as faith is not fact and nobody should ever tell somebody how it is based on their opinion.  There are facts and then there are faiths.  One has nothing to do with the other.

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
Etter - You have made a great point.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by ScouterMike:
"Archie, I believe the closest equivalent to what we were discussing would perhaps be called 'divine grace' in your faith, or may relate to things such as 'chairos'." - no offense intended here but just not correct, I am with Archie, he has explained the Biblical perspective of this concept/phenomenon clearly.
I think the discussion was evolving into a type of "ecumenical" thought experiment and people were sharing information and ideas.  Archie chose to speak in 'absolutes' and I simply made a proposal as to finding some common language with which to describe our experiences in the woods.  You seem to be adding to the absolutes and are either moving toward having the last word or starting a debate, a debate which really has no place on a bowhunting forum.  Let us please keep a dialogue going and enjoy the variety of personal experiences to be shared on this subject, otherwise I propose a mod kill the thread before I and others start talking in OUR absolutes and we get WAY off topic.    :)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
Prolly a good idea.
ChuckC

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Nineworlds - Sorry, no absolutes intended, that is why I referred to it as a "perspective". I believe that perspective is helpful to the discussion. Your attempt to find common ground is appreciated even if I do not agree with your reference. Archie did state it as an absolute from his perspective and I do not believe anyone here has a problem with someone standing for their beliefs.
Rom 1:20

Offline Mark Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »

Amen
Mark
Bowhunting and following a good hound

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
Sometimes religion, and a few other topics get a bit weighty for discussion, especially on these boards.   There may even be a rule limiting it, can't recall.  

Probably the religious talk is tolerated very well, but what if my God is a different God, or what if I follow several Gods, or (gasp) have no belief in a God at all.  Will that cause an argument ?  Will that cause the whole conversation to collapse ?  Am I right, or is he ? Prove it !  Religion, and lack of it has caused many wars in the past, let's try to keep one from TradGang. . .

Can we ?

ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©