3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Going to be a tough opener.  (Read 349 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Going to be a tough opener.
« on: September 11, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
Well for the first time in years, I have to miss the WI archery opener.  I thought I might get out in the afternoon but my professor just emailed and said expect to be in class all day.  I only have a few more classes to complete my masters and this one starts Saturday.  I guess some people don't have the same priorities as me.  I hope she at least shuts the blinds so I don't have to look outside all day.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Going to be a tough opener.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
I'll be in Scottsdale for opening 4 days  for work    :(    :(    :(    :(
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
That's a bummer.  I remember being in college and staring longingly out the window on many a crisp fall day.  You have my sympathy.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
The season lasts a good long time.  You will have plenty of time later, and in your future to get out.  Getting your education is the most important thing you can do for your future.  

Get er done

ChuckC

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
I can relate, won't be in the Wisconsin woods till next week. Check the trail cam tread, We have some nice deer on the farm waiting for our visit.
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 01:17:00 AM »
I remember sitting in college classrooms...I don't think I've ever hated anything THAT much. I quit after two semesters and went back to doing what I had done every day off from school since I was 14...I'm a fourth generation logger.

I'm sure I could have made more money if I had stayed in college and pursed a degree. However, I get to be outside everyday. I have lots of time off to do what I want to. I couldn't imagine a job that could make me any happier than what I do now. It's the closest thing to complete freedom that a job can be.

Good luck when you make it to the woods. There are many more opportunities to get out there.

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 06:30:00 AM »
Don't people realize that opening weekend is a national holiday?!

..It is, right?
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 07:06:00 AM »
We share a profession and like you I missed many a hunting day...the advantage of having a profession where you can make a living just about anywhere is that you can hunt, and fish, in places where others can expect to pay huge sums of money to come there for only a few days a year...and you can hunt, and fish, with people whose ancestors have been hunting and fishing there for centuries...in many places it would not be wise to have the fact you are an outdoorsperson in your resume...in those places it is seen as an asset

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
Jeez, even in high school at my school opening day was an excused absence. Then again, school never did trip my trigger much. Sorry for you, but hey, a masters will certainly make it so one day YOU will decide where you'll be on which days!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
I missed Class Day Races (Alumni vs. Varsity) in college my senior year, I was on the Varsity Crew team at the UW - Madison, to go hunting with my brothers on opening day of archery here in Wisconsin.  

My coach (he was hunter as well) said I'd have the rest of my life to hunt but only four years with my teammates to row and I should row with my buds.  He was right and I was wrong, but I was 20 and knew everything, of course.  I regret that decision some 30 years later.

Opening morning of Bowhunting is significant but not so much as some other things we must/should do in life.  It is a long season and I would trade any opening day of bow season for a day in my stand come the first two weeks in November.

Go tomorrow night or Sunday morning...the woods will still be there.

Best of luck this season.

Kris

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
I'll be hunting less than ever this year. Caoching my boys youth football team. They're only young once and it ends around the middle of Oct., but I will be lucky to get 4-5 short sits in prior to then.
BD

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
Your right Doug K. It's tradition! Actually I missed the opener once because my relief called in on me but I went out Monday night and killed my largest whitetail at 6 yards. I'll be out there tomorrow night on the ground enjoying the peace and quiet. Wish you and all other Wisconsin hunters a blessed season!

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
That sucks!

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
I have convinced myself that tomorrow is Friday and then I go Sunday afternoon for the first time of the year, it will be the opener.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
Good Luck on your degree.  You can hunt a  long season in WI and on Sundays!  I hope your wife is out on stand while you are working.

I think you have the right attitude and will have plenty of Saturdays in the future.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
I, too, sat in engineering classes ay UW, longing to be in the river bottom at Spring Green on opening weekend.  That was in the 1960's.  I will miss my opening cow elk date this year to attend my Dads 95th birthday.  Maybe we can count our blessings, crowds gone and those genetically inferior deer will be culled.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Being old and retired does have it's benefits.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©