3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is bowhunting a "sport"  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is bowhunting a "sport"
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
As a youngster I participated in/played just about every type of organized game/sport known to a boy growing up in Georgia the 60's and 70's. In high school I was friends with a couple of different groups...the jocks(because I was one) and the hunters (because I wanted to be one). I found myself grasping to learn as much as I could from the hunters. My life started gravitating towards the solitude and peacefulness of the outdoors while shying away from the lights and crowds of sports. Odd thing is the exact progression happened with my son, at 10 or 11 instead if his latter teens. So, to me, bowhunting is 180 degrees opposite of being a sport.
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
Bowhunting is a non-competitive sport.  
Archery shooting at targets of various kinds, is a competitive sport.

We hunt for 'sport' rather than hunt for food on a regular basis
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
Call it what you will, I'm going hunting!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
When you look at what is considered sport now, I don't think it is a sport, or even that we should wish it to be. For me its an instinct and a part of my culture. A culture I share with people all over the world. We hunt for the sake of hunting. But also because we recognise what it gives us and does for us. Most of us still hunt for food as well. We might have other choices of source we can get food, but we are entitled to go out and provide our own. We should not downplay the importance of that.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
It's been a way of life for me as long as I can remember. Never even considered it as a sport.

I wouldn't know how not to hunt. My whole life is wrapped around it yr round in one way or another.

I can kinda understand how some call it a sport if they don't hunt for the meat and are competing with friends or whoever for biggest rack or most numbers. The reward is glory just as in football or other sports.

I feel the same way far as the glory to some extent, but it doesn't come first with me. I have a predator type instinct that fuels my hunting desires. I want to kill it and eat it and the weird thing that desire runs deeper and stronger than I realistically value the meat..even though I love venison. If I go a long period without killing a deer I get hungrier like a lean wolf and try that much harder. My feelings even change towards the deer..they're not as nice and cute as before.

When I kill a few deer a few days apart the killing begins to get to me and make me question why I do this, etc.

Anyway, there's not a place on this earth I enjoy being more than in the deep woods on a bright cool fall morning.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
Nope. It is fun though but it's not a game.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
I get the feeling that this question is being asked because some people think that calling bowhunting a sport somehow demeans bowhunting.  I've hunted and fished all my life, and for a good part of my life bought the things to do it with from "sporting goods stores," until they started branching out into more specialty areas with more specialized names in the last 20 years or so.  I can think of other areas of life where people weren't happy with the names they had been tagged with, and so changed them to something else, sometimes more than once.  I'm not sure it changed anything except the name, and people who were unhappy with the associations being made with the old name soon found the same associations being made with the new name.

Frankly, I can't think of anyone we would want to be associated with who would have a negative association with the words "sport" or "bowhunting" and if they do, I'm sure that won't change if we call it something else.  So I'm happy with calling it a sport or hobby or avocation or passion or anything else, as long as nobody stands in my way of doing it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
I agree with the above post by Mackey, bowhunting is a way of life, to do it right, whether trad or wheelie, to be a good, consistent bowhunter, requires that you invest a lot of yourself into it. Time, patience and hard work. I also do it for sustenance, wife and I hunt hard to fill our freezers every year, and we depend on this meat by  choice, I might add. Same reason I grow a garden and  process fruit from my orchard, I like being, for the most part, self sustaining, gives me a sense of accomplishment like no other.
samuel koger

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
Interesting question!

I enjoy sport fishing, and consider myself a "sportsman".  Following the logic of that nomenclature, I guess that I'm a "sport hunter", and thus bowhunting would be a sport.  

But I don't like to think of the pursuit and killing of something as a game.  In that respect, I do not think of it as a sport.

How's that for a slippery answer?

:dunno:
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by R. W. Mackey:
Bowhunting is not a sport my friend, it's A Way of Life. For those of us that have stood the test of time, it has consumed
Us, it is on our minds constantly, it is something we do in the best
Or worst of weather, it brings us great joy in way you can't put into words. It's not the killing although that is part of it, it's being one with nature, enjoying what God has given us, it's inner pease..... I could go on and on....

RW
Great great words!!  Well said well heard!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
I will disagree.......Hunting with a bow, gun, knife, spear, sling shot, stone or your bare hands is a sport. You do not have to compete to be involved in a sport, example: mountain Climbing. But when it's all said and done......who cares, I like to bow hunt and will continue as long as I can!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
"Getting shot at is not a sport, it's a matter of life and death" - Whitetail Deer
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
Too many hobbies......that is pure gold.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
Hunting is a ''instinct'' that every predator has!

Hunting became a sport when man started keeping scores. P&Y and B&C club has made hunting a sport!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
I'm with Ron W who cares its something I like and love to do. You really don't have to do it to stay alive . If this is all you think about 24-7 you don't have much of a life there's other things out there. Family, friends other hobbies ect. Heck the world. Hunting can be a sport to some and to others not.   Lot of good stuff said.   :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline bear mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
Hunting for me means everything I think I was born to do and everything I love to do. Its the sun rises the sun sets the sounds of the woods waking in the morning and the woods calming at sun set. Hunting just isn't being out for a kill or a set of horns its a lot more than that its a way of life for me and my family. So I don't think of hunting as a sport but as a way of life.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
If you hunt out of ego driven motivation., Want to be recognized as the one that killed Huge Horn animal ect then it is competitive . Perhaps a professional sport. I personally see hunting as wonderful recreation with survival skill base. I am not in competition with any one including myself or the animal. I hunt to make food. If that food has a fine trophy set of antlers or is of an exceptional size then it is  bonus to me .

All that said IMHO the P and Y book ect is detrimental to archery hunting in general( strictly my opinion and worth only that) and is not a help but it is a negative factor driven and riddled with lies, ego and cheating to such an extent that it becomes meaningless.
This is so rampant that any time a huge animal is killed it is immediately attacked by other jealous snobs and the poor guy that killed it is almost immediately brought to question. Unless of course, he or she is in the clique.
JMHO and that's all its worth.

God bless, Steve

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
archery is a sport,hunting is a skill. an man do I love it!!!! my 2 cents

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
If you are killing an animal to feed your family it is not a sport but a lifestyle.
If you are killing an animal to impress anyone by putting it's head on your wall, it's a sport.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
Yep and one that us old coots can hold our own at. Cant wait until game day,(Oct. 15)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©