3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1st year with the recurves  (Read 272 times)

Offline Gswag

• Trad Bowhunter
1st year with the recurves
« on: September 12, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
Well, I think I have everything together finally.  Need to get the last few broadheads put together and tuned up when they come in this week and we are good to go.  Always was a compound shooter and after moving to KS, put the bows away because when I first moved here, you had to pick your season to hunt and my schedule didn't work well during archery season plus the compounds sort of bored me.  I knew eventually I'd grab a recurve.  I found a decent deal locally on a one piece black widow PTFX 55@28 about 3 weeks ago and shot it for about a week.  I was amazed at how easy it was to hit with.  The groups really shocked me and I was very comfortable at 20 yards and in.  After a week, I realized that I was really having fun and wanted a takedown so I bought a 56@27 Schafer Silvertip.  This was about two weeks ago.  I've been shooting it for about a week and a half now and you just can't seem to miss with that bow.  When I shot the first set of Abowyer Brown Bear blades on it this week, I truly was amazed.  from 10-30 yards, they just seemed to find their mark.  Liked them so much, I ordered more yesterday and more inserts in varying weights.  I've always used Simmons solid interceptors in the past and the Widow really likes those as well but I wanted to try something new so I gave Cody a call.  I put a new string on the widow along with bow hush and hush puppies and have got that one tuned in as well.  I did find that the BW has a definite preference for a stiffer spined arrow.  I have plenty of each so I'm good.  Got a beautiful set of arrows from Gary at D&M and they shoot like lasers!  So, season opens here in KS this next week and if I have a chance, I'm going to give it a whirl but if schedules don't work out, I'm definitely taking them to Mississippi when I head back home the second week of October.  I'm more excited about hunting that I have been in years.  Plan to shoot a bison in December as my stockpile of meat will run out next month so its time to refill.  I'll play it by ear on which bow gets the nod that day.  I've found that the vendors from Schafer/BW/Abowyer/D&M etc have been top notch! Looking forward to my first Trad hunting year! I've learned a ton over the last few weeks in regards to tuning and such and figure it will be fun to continue to learn something new.  I'll let you know if I do any good in the woods.   :)

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st year with the recurves
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
HI Glenn, Glenn here.  Good to hear you are having fun and ready to go.  You should try to make it to the Prairie Traditional Archers shoot this weekend.  I won't be able to make it, but maybe I will meet you there sometime.  Good luck this fall!

Offline Gswag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
I really wanted to do that when I saw it posted and we didn't even have any 7 year old baseball games this weekend!  But the family decided to go down to the farm and have a cookout which will be fun and I'll take the bows down and get some shooting in anyway.  Would love to meet some of the local shooters someday soon and then you can all tell me what I'm doing wrong  :)

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
Or if you are not busy the last weekend of the month, Bob Snow is having a shoot at his place that is a lot of fun.  It is down south a little ways on 69 Hwy, south of Pleasanton, Ks.

Offline Gswag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
I'll be near Fulton tomorrow so I bet I'll be close to there. That sounds like fun. Thanks!

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
Gswag,
Give me a shout and well see if we can't find a time to fling a few sticks.  816.392.9246  I live at 163 ter & Metcalf. Should be really close to you.

Andy.

Offline Gswag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
Very close. I'm at 143rd and Pflumm. Thanks Andy, I'll be in touch. Glenn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©