3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buck Hunters, I need your wisdom!!!  (Read 640 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Buck Hunters, I need your wisdom!!!
« on: September 13, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »
I will be the first to admit, that I have NEVER been one that looked for a piece of bone on top, and judge my "trophy" by that.  BUT, i do have a desire to kill something a little larger than my current "record" so far, a 15" 6 point, which was killed about 8 years ago, not to mention, with a gun.  

I was introduced to a new area to hunt today, it is public land, so no baiting, no leaving stands, nothing like that.  I went scouting and there were deer tracks EVERYWHERE, and I do mean EVERYWHERE!!.  

Some weird things I noticed was that I didn't see any deer droppings.  I found a few acorn trees that were dropping, a million tracks, and then i stumbled on a rub line.  As someone who has never killed anything to write home about, I am very interested in this rub line.  This area produced several deer over 180" last year, as well as one over 200".  

What would you do, if you had this area to hunt.  

As a side note, where I am hunting, it would be a couple mile walk for anyone to get close to me.  So i don't believe other hunters are there.  I am walking in through a friends land that butts up against the reserve.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Miles Bate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buck Hunters, I need your wisdom!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
Personally I would just go and stake out the area. Take a camera with you as well. With as much deer traffic that you described goes through that area there is a high chance you might run into a old buck or young bucks that are hanging around the does. The scrape line I would watch and take pictures of for changes or new scrapes.
 Wish you the best of luck hope you get the deer you want.
U.S ARMY M.P Retired 2011-2015

Assist, Protect, Defend

Black Dragon 61"  50lb
Samick Sage 50lb
Warf Hunter /******** BlackMax 50lb
Wing Nighthawk 35lb

Offline Beau J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Hmmm...you talking scrapes or tree rubs? seems awful early for scrapes...but they after them acorns...I would hunt it hard until I came up with a better plan to hunt a buck?  Good luck...BeauJ

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
Big bucks typically rub big trees. Find a decent rub line and set an ambush for the early season. This will get you started. You will learn more about the area as the season progresses.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
Definately put out a couple of cameras, they will help you see what kind of deer (big buck vs. Little buck) you have using the area.  Look for obscure trails in thick cover or following breaks in the terrain for one camera.  Put a second camera in the midst of the feeding area.  This ought to give you a good inventory of the deer in the area.  Now's the time go hunt food sources.  Good Luck.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
Don't mistake buck scrapes for turkey scratching, both like acorns.  I am from up north, it is a bit early to find them up here, but I have no idea about down south there.

Are there any major trails ?  Are there any potential pinch points ?  Is it all just lowland or mix.  Sitting a trail leading to those acorn trees might be a good early season sit.  Take a handful of pebbles from the road and drop them one at a time to simulate acorns falling under your tree.
CHuckc

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Here is the scrape,

Right below this rub

Small tree I know, but a rub none the less.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
If it were me I would...

1. Get on google earth and identify what your approach looks like with certain winds and where your wind is going otherwise.

2. Identify as many good pinch points, possible bedding areas and natural edges as you can. I don't know what your terrain looks like but around here a lot of bucks don't bed in the thick stuff. They find a little ridge where they can see good one way and have the wind the other.

3. Go with the least intrusive areas first. Hunt your way into a good observation area and see what is actually going on. Cameras work but I don't have any experience with them.

4. Keep tabs on the doe's. If the big boys aren't there right now they will be if you camp out with the ladies. If you decide you really want a buck be careful about where or if you harvest a doe.

5. Sit longer or all day. I like to at least hunt til 1.

6. Scrape lines and rub lines are nice but are only a piece of the puzzle. Don't hunt a bad wind or bad spot just so you can see that scrape.  

7. Don't hold out for a big buck unless it is what gets YOUR blood pumping. Everyone else's opinion on big racks doesn't matter because all deer are yummy!   :readit:    :D
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
What public land in LA produced several 180 class bucks, I need to leave Ohio to hunt that spot of land?

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
This terrain is all pretty open, which is why I think there are so many tracks every where. There is high areas and low, but they are all pretty open.

The scrape might be a turney scrape, but the location,right below the rub, is highly unlikely in my opinion, but I've been wrong a time or two before. Lol.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Are you hunting from a tree or ground?
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Tree.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 11:30:00 PM »
Daniel there's plenty good advise here, I like Rob W's best, all good stuff.

If you have White Oaks hunt them, they're the huge acorns and deer love them above all others. That is where the girls will be and the bucks likely will not be to far behind.

I have had really good success making a mock scrape. I will wear rubber gloves and boots and use a stick to tear up the ground, keep it as human scent free as possible. Make sure that you make the scrape with a clear shot from your stand. Also, make certain that you place the scrape under a low hanging limb. Pour the "Dominant Buck" scent all over the low hanging limb, this will allow the scent carry further than just on the ground. Then pour in your mock scrape.

When I make mock scrapes I will make the scrape early and hunt the stand all day. Like I mentioned this has worked well for me on many occasions in the early season. Any ole Dominant buck scent has worked for me, I'm not picky about the brand. I have always thought of a horny buck like a teenager, they just kind of loose their mind.

Good luck and go get you a big boy. Speaking of big boys, I have seen several bucks checking out a mock scrape on one setting so keep your eyes open. Sometimes they will actually start using the scrape but I will only hunt the mock scrape one or two days. I have never had much luck after a couple days, I think the "new buck" in town gets the attention. That being said I have never had any luck hunting real scrapes, I think it is because they all know each other and they're not that curious.

Go get them Brother, I know you'll be posting up some good pictures before to long. Good Luck!!!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 06:43:00 AM »
What Rob said....     :thumbsup:      

Patience and time.  Don't over hunt or over visit the area,  google earth will give you most of what you need to know as far as getting in and out without being noticed.  Once you're there you can fine tune your spot by looking for or creating natural funnels.   Determine the predominant wind and look for stand locations on the down wind side of the main deer trail.   If and when you do decide to hunt the scrape line, always stay on the downwind side.

It's difficult to hunt with the wind 100% in your favor so look for a setup that will allow the deer to benefit from some of the wind currents, just not all of it.  The more wind the deer has in his favor the more relaxed he will be.   Hopefully Ryan will chime in.    :thumbsup:  

Don''t over hunt or over visit the area....     :thumbsup:

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
x'2 on what Tim said!! Good to see you again Tim,

Offline Stalker58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
The "Big" bucks, don't get big by being stupid.
They learn quick, not to follow along with other deer, they will take the "Road less traveled".
Look for a small deer trail, with lots of cover, that leads to the same feeding area.
The only time "Big" bucks get stupid, and throw caution to the wind, is during the rut.
Watch the wind, and good luck.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
Bunch of good advice here...

Older bucks will drive you nuts....

I usually find them inplaces  where they have a lot of cover for security... But near the does...

I find a 3-4 y.o. Will respond to gimmicks...but the 4-5y.o.+ know a grunt tube, a bleat can, and even some scents...

5+.  I want to smell like nothing... Sound like nothing...
I want him to know nothing...  Just hunt an unpressured deer... I may even hunt 10am-as long as I can sit... A lot of cruising goes  on when we are back at camp eating lunch and the does are bedded down...

Good Luck
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
Sounds like you have a hot spot.  Lots of good advise in the prior posts.  The one that I would emphasize most is to hunt all day, particularly 11-2 period.  My buddy and I have shot/seen as many big bucks during this time period as dawn and dusk.  It will increase your chances by 30%.  Keep in mind that the big guys are a whole lot smarter during the pre and post rut periods than the younger bucks.  Also, in the pre rut, I have brought some big guys out of the thicket with mild rattling.  Keep in mind they will be looking and smelling hard in your direction when they approach. Be ready.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
Can you tell me what's going on in your area? Is it the rut right now? I know down there things are wAy, way different than up here in the north.
Do u already have mast trees dropping?
What is the stage of the season there now, early season, pre rut, rut, post? And I will give you some advice.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by RedShaft:
Can you tell me what's going on in your area? Is it the rut right now? I know down there things are wAy, way different than up here in the north.
Do u already have mast trees dropping?
What is the stage of the season there now, early season, pre rut, rut, post? And I will give you some advice.
The woods are just starting to thin out and and the various fruits are starting to drop. No rut yet here in Mass. and I wouldn't expect to see any early stage rut activity until at least mid October, peaking as we get into mid November. I think the scrapes you are seeing are likely turkey scrapes....they are almost identical to buck scrapes. The rubs could easily be the result of general marking and/or scraping the velvet off the antlers. I think it's way too early in PA for the rut.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©