3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buck Hunters, I need your wisdom!!!  (Read 641 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buck Hunters, I need your wisdom!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by lbshooter:

Originally posted by RedShaft:
Can you tell me what's going on in your area? Is it the rut right now? I know down there things are wAy, way different than up here in the north.
Do u already have mast trees dropping?
What is the stage of the season there now, early season, pre rut, rut, post? And I will give you some advice.
The woods are just starting to thin out and and the various fruits are starting to drop. No rut yet here in Mass. and I wouldn't expect to see any early stage rut activity until at least mid October, peaking as we get into mid November. I

think the scrapes you are seeing are likely turkey scrapes....they are almost identical to buck scrapes. The rubs could easily be the result of general marking and/or scraping the velvet off the antlers. I think it's way too early in PA for the rut. [/b]
I think u may be confused. He is from Louisiana...
I'm  asking pertaining to that area. I'm from pa n our season is not even open yet. I ask so I can give him the best info giving his situation in the Deep South right now. As I have no clue to what it's like. And knowing guys are seeing rutting bucks in Florida.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
Sorry, I misread the post......I don't know anything about LA deer cycles.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
MY bowhunting mentor stressed three things, Keep the wind in your favor. If you want to shoot big ones don't shoot little ones, and you have to sit and be patient.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Rob nailed it.  :thumbsup:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Your wise for asking around here for your info Daniel. Bucks are completely different from hunting does except for a brief time during the rut. ESPECIALLY big bucks like your talking about on public land no less. The only way you will kill a buck like that is to have his movements down like your own. He will leave his bed and move toward staging areas right at dark. Finding his food is easy as he will leave tracks where he likes it the best. Im talking if there is agricultural crops mind you. He will pay almost zero attention to does or other bucks until pre rut changes him drastically. He will make scrapes in those staging areas as rut approaches. He will also make rub lines between his bed and his food sources during this time. This will be done at night but he will visit them to and from the sites. If you set up near his bedding area and remain unseen you will have the best shot at a big one. Your approach to that stand is the most important as he will bust you coming in if your too close, silhouette yourself against the sky, smell like a human goat etc. He is most vulnerable during rut as he will chase does in daylight if he has to. He will check doe haunts and scrapes that he marks with scent. Mock scrapes are his achilles heel. That way you can use doe in heat scent and do some very discreet rattling. He HAS to check it out and thats to your advantage. A decoy with doe in heat can be deadly too but can carry human scent like crazy unless you keep it free from human stink. He is vulnerable after the rut too but thats because he needs to eat. Hunt white oak acorns first and then reds next. Good Luck bud!

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
The one constant among several variables-there are less big bucks than other deer. Whatever your approach, you will have to put in more time unless you get really lucky! Which may happen.  So, good luck to ya!  :)

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
I hate to say it but unless it rained right after you took those rub pics, you more than likely contaminated the area. Older deer ''WILLNOT TOLERATE'' this type of human intrusion. During early season scouting, one must use binos from a safe distance off their feeding areas to look for that type of sign. Once you see good buck sign in a feeding area, back out and figure how to hunt the edges, hoping for that buck to make a mistake. More often than not, you get one crack at him!

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
I agree with Overbo as to a mature whitetails reaction to human presence. I also agree as to their love of white oak acorns. Problem is when hunting a food source they will often only visit at night. He Knows you have been there.
Hunting a spot like this is going to be a process.
I would try to hunt a different spot each time paying particular attention to how I access ( and exit).
If you can find out where he beds you are ahead of the curve. Figure a mature buck to be nocturnal at this point. So you are going to need to get close.You might want to throw in some ground hunting combined with scouting. I find it much easier to learn an area like that. Its also much quieter and less tiring.

Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©