3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: another dumbass in WY, but this ones after elk...  (Read 2215 times)

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
another dumbass in WY, but this ones after elk...
« on: September 13, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
after all of the attention the last thread with that sorta title got, I just know I have all of your attention now.  and,  most that know me would confess, the name is applicable...

like all western hunters, license draws are a huge part of the game.  and I suck at that part.  this year was no different and the typical "not successful" was once again in the cards for me here in Wy for my favorite animal on this planet, elk.  

so, an OTC general tag was bought and a hunt happened.  now this hunt did take place on land anyone can access on a general tag.  while I love the wilderness and high country, I realize the Wy wilderness law for the non resident.  im not saying exactly where this hunt took place, but rest assured you all could have been there........
is it September yet??

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: another dumbass in WY, but this ones after elk...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
after a short summer, the opener was upon us!!  the day dawned warm and fairly calm, minus the distant screams of some bugling bulls....

is it September yet??

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
this morning I was hunting with my brother, and a buddy and his grandkid.  the buddy is a wheel shooter but only was there for opening day and didn't get close so enough about that.  walking in we walked into 4 bulls, one being a smallish 6 point.  the bugling was further off so we knew these were satellite bulls, but all big enough for us.  they busted however and moved off, and we split up and went after all of the commotion.  my brother and I spotted a decent lone 6 point from a ridge top, and while making a move on him walked right into a herd with a few bulls...  

heres my brother hoping for a shot, and a large 5 point raking a tree.  of course his rack is a tad hidden.

is it September yet??

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
Good news!     :thumbsup:  

I thought it was Ground Hog's Day.   :nono:  

Keep it coming.   ;)
Lon Scott

Offline bear mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
unfortunately, just a few yards shy of a shot the wind switched.  Levi was literally  just about to draw on a cow (he has an additional cow tag for this spot as well as the any elk).  

was kind of funny, they smelled us and spooked but not like the ones ive been around in the high country that thunder off for half a mile. these really didn't go far.  I got a quick pic of another bull in the group.

is it September yet??

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
the funny part of all of this is, the herd kind of split and we honestly weren't sure where to go. getting to a high point, we finally spotted a good portion of the herd, that had ran right into a GIANT bull.  in an effort to keep this shorter then the old testament, ill just say that the rest of that day was spent chasing yet not killing these bulls.  
here are a couple though, one of the bulls in the group after the big breakup, and one of my brothers camera lens of the big guy.  sorry its the best pic I have...

is it September yet??

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
and then ?  and then ?
   :archer:    :archer:    

Chuckc

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
We don't have those in any size, although not getting a shot would be dissapointing I would consider it a successful hunt. Well done and keep after 'em, GOOD LUCK.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
the next couple days I had basically zero luck, minus finding fresh tracks stacked upon fresh tracks everywhere I went.  not much bugling going on, and sightings were limited. pretty country though...

is it September yet??

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
Sounds like you had an awesome hunt nevertheless.  Great pictures...I can even see the racks.  Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
now any of you that have actually read any of my terrible stories on here probably no, the sorta skipping a few days means someone didn't take enough pics of what he did see.  ill work on that...

the morning of September 5 was supposed to be another warm one, but the cloud burnoff took FOREVER!  it really stayed cool, and while the bulls weren't going nuts, they were talking.  

this took place in the spot on top of the ridge in my last post's last pic. in the creek bottom in same pic, me and Levi found a well used wallow, and that's one thing I go nuts over! .  Levi checked it out pretty close.

anyway, that particular morning we split up early, me going one way, Levi one way, and my dad who had arrived to hunt but is a wheel guy another.  I thought I spooked something while crossing a fence, and in looking for whatever I heard, I noticed a couple bulls occasionally sounding off back toward that ridgeline in the pic.  the wind was being fairly steady, but I had to make a LONGGGG loop around to get it right. somewhere in there, I passed a bull going to bed and never saw him.
is it September yet??

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
i was totally ok with that however, this one bull was sounding off not often but just often enough to get himself in a pickle, or so i was thinking.  i got to the edge of a large park, and could tell he was bugling from the small finger of trees just beyond.  finding a low spot, i crossed the park in a hurry and got just into the timber.

i love this feeling!  you know what i mean.. when you know your quarry is RIGHT there, and its his move.  he doenst know your there.  you are close.  its killing time and NOTHING is going to stop this baby from happening.  well, almost nothing...

i was holding very still, as i knew i was close enough to hear the bull walking and could get into position for a shot.  standing there for a couple of quiet minutes, i heard it. walking.  rather fast walking coming in from my right to my left.  one look however let me know i might be in trouble.
is it September yet??

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
it was Levi walking straight in in front of me. and by walking, i really mean almost jogging!  he had no idea a bull was close!  he was really moving and i wanted to stop him without getting busted, but what do you do?  i looked for something to throw. old elk crap.  picked up a piece but it just crumbled in my hand.  tried to snap my fingers, but was holding my bow in my left and my finger tab was on my right.  and just like that, Levi was out of sight and i knew the writing was on the wall.  thinking maybe i could hustle around and get a shot when the bull that was about to spook moved out, i tried to skirt the park, and finally saw Levi walk up to a large juniper and sit down.  no elk anywhere.  of course right here, there was lots to throw and throw i did. Levi walked over quickly and i told him we had to be quiet, as there was a bull RIGHT here.  he replied sadly, well there WAS a bull right here a minute ago.  as Levi rounded a tree just after i saw him, he spooked that bull at 15 yards.  a dandy 6 with great fronts but short behind the 4th.  when Levi heard my side and figured out where i was, he was tripping over himself apologizing as he knew he cost me a gimmie.

between you and me, just getting my brother to trip over himself apologizing was worth the whole price of admission!

now for a commercial break, heres some more of the scenery.  pretty place...

is it September yet??

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
anyhow, we tried a set up and some quiet cow calls, to see if the bull would come back but of course to no avail.  Levi said he was moving out as the bull he'd heard was just over the ridge a couple hundred yards in front of us. id heard him too so we decided go for him.  after just a few yards, we could see a tiny part of another park and a cow and calf fed though. hmm, maybe this isn't over just yet.....................
is it September yet??

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
but getting to the crest of the ridge we couldn't find the cow and calf.  in fact, though there were fresh tracks EVERYWHERE, we couldn't find any elk.  it was decided that we must be in front of where we figured they were gonna bed for the day, and although the bull had went quiet we might be able to hunt him up.  Levi worked the crest and i dropped down about 70 yards and paralleled him. we moved slowly and quietly in this fashion through a couple small canyons, but minus a ton of fresh tracks and sign there was nothing.  i finally saw Levi through the trees, and climbed back to the crest to talk to him.

dejected.

we knew we had really blown a great chance here.  it was simply too thick and there were too many tracks going everywhere to do anything more than hope for luck.  maybe Dad had done better?  after chatting for about 10 minutes quietly (and hearing a bunch more im sorries), we decided to call it a morning when suddenly a bugle erupted, close.  60 yards or so close!  the herd was still right there and we almost left.  i noticed a big tree tipped over about 20 yards toward the elk and instructed Levi to get there and id cow call the bull to him.  Levi said he wanted to be the caller, as almost always do it and he wanted to try it, so i crept up and got ready. Levi had a decoy as well, and though hed forgot the stakes he held it up in hopes of giving the bull a visual.
some cow calls were returned by cows and calves in the herd but the bull said nothing.  i could hear elk walking in front of me.  the wind was going from good to so/so in a hurry at the angle they were moving, but we were sort of between them and their bedding spot so i held there even though a large spruce in front of me looked like a better place to be.  i even considered trying to get there when i noticed the bull, about 35 yards away through the trees on my left kind of moving my way.  he had his head down like he was feeding but was marching at the call.  
now, i like to look for big bulls as much as you do, but last year you might remember i didn't fill, and a winter without elk meat is like getting kicked between the legs on a daily basis, so i was going to shoot at almost anything given the opportunity.  my quick glance told me this was a sub P&Y 6 point but i was going to be happy to try for a chance with him.
here is where id set up, just over the close down log in the center of the pic.  that little live tree in the middle, i was just on the right side of that.  this is from where i was hoping the bull would come through.

but the wind concerned me.  it had to hold for just a little bit longer.  as the bull was coming into my first shooting lane, i could see that he was hard quartering to me.  NO SHOT!  come on wind hold..  he moved very quickly though that opening and behind some more trees, but was getting closer. the next opening was about 15 yards wide, but i figured hed get my wind half way thought it.  when his nose got to the opening though, i could tell my wind had held and he marched out.
this is were he was coming into, from left to right. the wind pushing more to the right.  that limb on the ground sorta center pic, that's the spot.  about 21 yards away...

you know what i hate, when an animal is walking fairly quickly and you have to stop him. i hate that.  makes an animal alert. i got away with it last year in Ohio on a nice buck chasing a doe, but i think its always bad to tell an animal something they don't like is right there.  

but, he was REALLY marching toward the cow calls and i was half drawn when i made a "meh" noise.  he stopped.  he locked onto me, but id already hit anchor and released the string on the ol Stalker.......
is it September yet??

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
:coffee:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Keep it coming Brad! Just got back from your wonderful state myself.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
Great report!Cant wait for the finale.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©