3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow without leather grip ???????  (Read 1006 times)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow without leather grip ???????
« on: September 13, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
Do any of you longbow shooters use a longbow without leather wrapped grips?

I ask because I am fairly new to using them and my only longbow has no wrap on the grip.

I don't think I have ever seen a longbow at the shoots I attend without a wrap.

Am I missing anything without the wrap (especially in terms of shootability or forgiveness).

Thanks for any thoughts on pros/cons of wrapping the grip with leather.

I am shooting a deflex/reflex, 60" Striker Stinger if that is useful for your reply.

Thanks, Skychief.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow without leather grip ???????
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
I don't have one and don't intend to get one. With a locator or shaped grip I don't find I need one like I would imagine if I shot a hill style, straighter grip. Certainly just a preference thing, no "one style fits all". Plus the wood grain on my DD Stik is too gorgeous to cover up!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks CavScout.   Anybody else?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
I have one I built that has no leather.  It has an indicator style grip and has been changed so much to tweak it that I would have gone thru a whole hide covering that thing.  A grip is not required, but it is indeed found on most, maybe because that is just the way things morphed, or maybe because the builders wanted to cover joints (if made from other than a stave).  A leather or rubber grip does feel better to me, but not necessarily THAT much better.  

Where it shines is, sometimes, my hand slides a bit on a non covered bow handle.
ChuckC

Offline danshao

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
I'm wondering about the same thing too. Some people say they don't like the leather grip when it's all soaked up with sweat and stinks.. Not sure if it's true.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
Personal preference,you don't have to have a grip covering on a bow.For me I like to have a leather grip on my longbows.I like them better then those roll up rubber grips.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
I took the leather off last time I had a proper longbow. A slick grip aids accuracy on any bow.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline grayfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
I make a lot of leather ones for people .they help keep your hand in the same place everytime .I use 2-4 oz, oil tan leather, one piece stitched on the back  and beaver tail .the down side is that it makes the grip bigger .but it also reduces the hand shock you thought you did not have .best try it and see if you like it .I never had a problem them.

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
Being a hunter I try and stay away from them.   Even though i like the feel I have taken a whiff of mine and it was not good.  I now have a stipple grip thunderhorn.  Scent free compromise and still gives me some texture.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
My first bow had a poorly done wrap that moved around a lot, so I took it off. I didn't notice any difference. I just aquired a nice Abbott longbow that has a really nice wrap.
I guess I'm trying to say that I don't have a preference, so I wouldn't worry about adding a wrap if it isn't bothering you.
On the bright side you get to see more of that pretty wood on your riser  :)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by bigbadjon:
I took the leather off last time I had a proper longbow. A slick grip aids accuracy on any bow.
That was another thought from my end.   I would think that a slick grip might offset any torque placed upon the bow.

My shooting friends are mostly of the opinion that this is true with recurves.   They also believe that a longbow should be gripped tighter than a recurve.   This has made me wonder more if a leather or rubber wrapped grip on my longbow might foster even more accuracy than without.

I appreciate all your thoughts guys, Skychief.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
I removed the factory grip on my Montana and like the feel a lot better.  I think it is just a personal thing.

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
I have a robertson longbow that had a very worn leather grip on it that I took off but I didn't like it without the grip. I don't like slippery grips.  I put a rubber sure grip on it and I love it.  Liked it so much that I put one on my bw psav and I like it much better now too.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
I have one with out the leather grip. Only problem, my wedding ring causes me to fix up the finish once in a while.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
I have had them with and without-I like with. You can also use a piece of mountain bike innertube. Just wet it and it slips easily into place.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
None of my favorite longbows have a leather grip, including my Toelke Whip and my Toelke Lynx.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
Most all I shoot is longbows (R/D), and I have never owned one with a wrapped grip. Just don't like the feel of it.

Bisch

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
Leather on a longbow is just part of its charm. ..James

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
It's all personal preference and how you shoot.  Many bowyers including Cari-bow, Centaur, Toelke, Hummingbird, Javaman offer longbows without leather.  I am sure many others do also.  If the bow has a larger riser and is not real skinny I prefer no leather wrap.  I do love the leather on a mint condition used JD Berry Tiapan I recently got!
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
No leather or rubber grip here.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©