3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much will wool shrink?  (Read 922 times)

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much will wool shrink?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
I was in your same position a couple of years ago with my Asbell wool... XL pullover, Lost weight,needed a medium. Called Teresa and she took mine back for discounted resale for a reasonable "fee" as mine was in great condition. She made me new medium and it fits perfect and is awesome! I don't recommend the shrink-to-fit, but that's a personal opinion. I'd work with Teresa, sell them or trade them, and get back in the game with some new Asbell in the right size!!! Celebrate the accomplishment, you'll feel good doing it. Well done!!!

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
Shrinking wool also known as "felting" has been done for hundreds and hundreds of years on purpose. The garment gets smaller but also thicker and the weave will tighten up making it warmer and more wind proof.  Have you heard of Norwegian boiled mittens?  That's felting to the max and they're pretty warm.  I make felted mittens out of old sweaters a lot but I felt them then cut out the mitten patterns and sew them together.  

If give it a try if I was you, wash on gentle using cold water.  Then toss in the dryer on low heat, I use high heat and throw in a tennis shoe when I want to really felt something.  At low heat you'll have more time to catch it before it shrinks too much.  Watch it really closely though because it happens fast.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
I have a wool pullover that has sleeves that are too long and bulky.  Been thinking about trying to shrink just the sleeves.  Does that sound possible? I've been in worse trouble than what the outcome might be   :)  so I'm thinking about going for it.

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
If you do a sweater lightly soak just the above the cuffs to shrink the whole arm.  I have shrunk the arms on sweaters in the drier when they got baggy.  The moisture will get to more than the sleeve, so now I wet just the part of the forearm to the cuff.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
Interesting read... If anyone else has wool shrinking tips or stories - keep sharing.     :readit:  

Mountain Lion - congrats on the weight loss!!

:archer:
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
My sincere advise is to go see a seamstress.  Sometimes you get lucky with the home shrinkage methods, usually you don't.  Not worth it,  in my opinion. Congrats on the weight loss!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
Depending on size and condition put them up for sale and start over with new gear. Asbell wool sells quick in the classifieds, especially when priced to sell. As for shrinking contact Teresa for expert advice.   :campfire:

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »
As been suggested, go to a tailor and have them fitted to your new frame. They are way too nice to take a chance on.

I wash my wool army blankets when they get dirty and then toss them into the dryer.  I didn't see much loss in size and it felted them.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 07:32:00 AM »
I did exactly what you are thinking with one of Teresa's pullovers.  Had bought an xxl thinking I could layer better under it but decided that I prefer XL.  I put it in the washer and then line dried it after, checking every so often and hand stretching as needed.  Absolutely do NOT put it in the drier!

Maybe I got lucky, but it worked very well for me, and that piece of wool did seem to end up with a tighter weave and was even warmer as a result.

That being said, as has been mentioned, Asbell wool does sell very well in the classifieds, so the safer and easier method is to sell yours and order a new one in the proper size.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
I have mistakenly washed two garments, a wool sweater and a shirt. It's hard to say with any certainty, but they both shrunk about two sizes. Pretty risky to expect predictable results. You could probably wash your garments and just monitor the drying process until it's where you want it.

Best advice is to call Teresa.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
I buy all of my wool a larger size so that I can shrink them. I personally find that felting wool makes it tighter and warmer.  I usually start with a cold water wash and put the wool on for size. If I need more shrinkage, I wash in warmer water and try on the wool. I have a large chest and wide shoulders along with long arms.  I have a 49" chest, 17.5" neck and 35.5" sleeve but a 34" pants size and a 5'8" frame.  Most wool size large is too tight around the shoulders and neck.  Most size XL is too long in the sleeves and too large in the belly. My controlling the shrinkage I can get a better fit with the added benefit from the felting process. I do not put anything wool in the dryer as the wool will shrink too much and beyond control.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 12:38:00 AM »
I have had wool shrink before, and it did not shrink evenly. I would recommend having it altered.
Sam

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 03:17:00 AM »
Felting wool is not an exact process. Moderate control is all you can expect. Either have someone who makes garments alter it or sell it and get stuff that fits. Attempts at shrinking will most likely result in good felted material for mittens and slippers.Seriously! Ex wife was a professional and could sew ANYTHING and did from custom wedding dresses to wool felted slippers and everything in between.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Patknight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »
I too shrank an expensive,well made Irish sweater...My friend made my wife and I two very cool hats ..Warmest hat I own...

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »
Shrank a wool shirt one time by mistake. An educated guess would be about two sizes.

Shrinkage is not predictable, though, so your best bet might be to sell that garment and just buy one that fits to begin with.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
I've shrunk a couple of Teresa's XL pullovers. Gave one to my buddy, he made out on that deal. The other went down to a large that I sometimes wear for work when it's cold. I thought about that too. About ordering an XXL and washing it with a hang dry to felt it up a bit and take it down to an XL.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
Sell them in the TG classifieds and go buy new ones.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jerry Jeffer:
I once shrank an expensive wool sweater from a man large to an toddler 3.
Oh my! I bet that was a bad day

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
...I wish some of you folks would gain weight and sell your stuff on the classifieds so I could wear it! Why is it only extra extra-large sizes LOL

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
What size you wear Michael?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©