3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Zipper, acorns and a tracking dog =  (Read 2063 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
A Zipper, acorns and a tracking dog =
« on: September 14, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Well, this one begins last year when I sold a bow that Bill made for me with some very special woods in it. I sold it as the longer limbs just didn't trip my trigger. I know I am weird but I really like shorter bows for hunting purposes and thats all I do. I'm not much into targets. Anyway Bill made one of his Nitro risered long bows out of a fantastic piece of walnut I had found. He liked the walnut so much he drug out an old piece of cocobolo he'd been sitting on for such an occasion. The combo is stunning to say the least.

I sold the bow then in a twist of fate he bought it back a few months later. Well anyway at that I asked him to build me another and he said "Trust me I have what you want" and nothing else. A few months pass and to make a long story short my new bow shows up in the mail. Its my old riser matched with a new set of 58" carbon longbow limbs. Well I loved it from the get go.

Fast forward to this weekend, finds me perched in an acorn patch in the corner of a small woodlot on a buddies farm. I had found that they deer were in these acorns and hung a stand last Thursday planning to climb aboard during this weekend. I climbed in last night and settled in for the evening. The weather was perfect with a NE wind and the temp was in the low 70's.

At just after 7 I see a white tail flicker in the thicket and stood to ready myself. Figuring it was a doe or young buck I was surprised to see a flash of long antler. He was around 25 yards out and slinking very slowly toward me. As he passed a cedar tree my curiosity rose when I see a long G2. Then at about 20 yard through the thick canopy I see he has a ton of junk points around his bases. That sealed the deal for me. Already standing and posed for the shot my heart started pumping like we know happens.

He stood there for about three minutes motionless surveying the oak flat and then stepped into a shooting lane. He took one steep too many and his front end was in the leaves covering the shoulder. He stood there eating acorns and I thought oh what the heck, I'll slide one close by the leaves into the back of his lung area. Off the arrow went. High and low it was perfect but I think my mind inherently aimed left to avoid the bushes and the hit was a touch back.

The buck bounded off at a slow pace and disappeared after about 20 yards. I sat down inspected my arrow that was laying there with the binos. I could tell there wasn't much blood on it so the worry started setting in. I texted Bill that I just stuck a dandy but was worried about the hit being too far back. He asked me a few questions and then assured me his dog would find it. I got down and with every step surveyed up through the woods with the binos looking for bedded deer. I did not want to bump him. I walked over and got the arrow and it had very little blood on it.

Well I have to say I wasn't as confident as he was as I have been on many many trails with hits like that. The only thing that gave me hope was this happened to be a small woodlot and I figured he wouldn't leave it if he was staying in there. Bill and I were to meet up at 8 am.

He made the drive down and we were off to the farm at a little after 8. We parked, harnessed old Moe and were off to my stand. Bill let him smell my arrow and dropped Moe on the spot of the hit. Instantly he was off pulling Bill as hard as his little stubby legs could pull him. We made a brisk paced walk in a loop back the way the deer had come and I thought "Huh, this may actually work". Well let me tell you, old Moe took us straight to the deer like he had done this trail in his back yard 100 times. We were over my buck in less that two minutes.

The night before I thought I had heard a thump and some leaves thrashing in that direction and I am sure that was him dying. But with me knowing the hit was back and with what the arrow told me  I knew I had to back out.

On closer inspection the shot was exactly where I'd thought and was a touch back. I assume it caught some liver and the 185 grain razor sharp Grizzly head had done its job very well. Unfortuneatly the coyotes got too him during the night and there was little left.

Bill thinks this is about the 17th successful find for Moe. Special thanks to a great friend and a special dog!

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Zipper, acorns and a tracking dog =
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
Congrats, Very nice Buck..

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
Man he is a beauty! Sorry the yotes got to him before you! I hate yotes sometimes, but in reality, they are just doing the job God put them here to do!

Congrats on another great buck, TJ!

Bisch

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Awesome harvest TJ!  Thanks for the story and pictures.  We start tomorrow here in MO, and I can't wait to have some pictures to share back.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
Beauty of a  Buck Tom.  Nice Bow too   ;)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Do you have a picture of your bow as well?
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
Congrats!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
Congrats, I have never personally witnessed a  tracking dog doing it's job.  But the stories sound fantastic.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
Nice!

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
Superbe ,congrats    :thumbsup:

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
Awesome job Tom... and Moe!     :notworthy:    :clapper:    

Congrats brotha!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Man what a buck! Great story and to bad about the 'yotes. Congrats though all around!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
great buck! Congrats...love the character in the bases!
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
Great buck, lots of character on that rack.  Congratulations  :thumbsup:

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
Awesome job Tom. Way to go Moe !!!!!
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Very nice! Congrats

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
Nice buck Tom, and excellent job Moe.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
Congrats buddy! Good stuff!
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »
Congratulations! What a trophy! I was wondering when you would have one down and story behind it.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©