3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching Orientation and Shelf Contact  (Read 1735 times)

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching Orientation and Shelf Contact
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
Ryan, thanks for taking the time to test and show the results. I orient my fletching in a similar fashion. I start with cock feather up, then rotate clockwise (viewed from nock end) until the inside hen feather points towards corner of riser/shelf AND  outside hen is clear for shelf & cock is free of riser.... Very close to your orientation and it seems the best for me. I shoot Widows and probably received the basics of where I ended up from Ken Beck as well. You're doing good & beneficial work, keep it up! Thanks again!!!

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
I love this test.  I prefer my arrows shot the way that works for you the best also.  It just seemed to make the most sense to me when I first started.  I had no other reason than that.  Good to know I'm on the right track
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Ryan, thanks for taking the time and sharing your results. I find all the information you post very helpful.  Quick question. In the picture where you show your preferred orientation, are the fletches left wing or right? And do you think the arrow spinning one way or the other makes a difference with regard to shelf contact?
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
Good  job Ryan and thanks for confirming what I have experienced. I shoot cock feather in .
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
Hmmm. Good info for center-shot bows, but it doesn't necessarily apply to bows with more paradox. Dan Quillian taught me that when you are apparently shooting the right spine and have fletching contact problems, you should build out the sight window to create more paradox and drop spine to compensate. Then the arrow bends enough to clear the riser completely, and the problem goes away.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
I just went through this process with the recurve I'm shooting this season. I had to turn the cock feather in until I made the adjustment, and now my arrows clear the shelf whether the cock feather is in or out.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
I was having trouble with the arrows kicking out of my new palmer in 2004 and Mike Palmer told me to shoot cock feather in and viola the kicking was gone.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Thanks Gang!

*****I want to reiterate this again. Yes this test does not apply to every bow and arrow combination, something which I mentioned in my first post. It only applies to how I've set up my rig.

meatCRK,
I prefer to shoot right wing because the fletches "curve up" in relation to the shelf. Again this is only one of my crazy theories. The left wing seems to curve into the shelf. In the past I was told if I'm right handed I should shoot left wing.

In terms of spinning, the arrow has a very minimal amount of time to spin (depending on brace height) but it does spin a little, which is something you can experiment with. If you notice from the pictures the alignment of the arrows at brace, then the mark of the lipstick is a little off, but just slightly.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Another condition that can be "fixed" by shooting cock feather in, is having a short third finger, which causes some torque on the release. My ex wife had this type hand, and cock feather in cured her "kick". The best release is had from fingers on which the crease of the first joint of the first and third fingers line up.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
Can't argue with results like that. Thank you Ryan.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
Love a good test!  Excellent job with great pics!

Ironically I just started orienting my cock feather to your preference (5 o'clock position) with excellent results as well.  

I am also incorporating RW fletch (only ever fletched LW) more now with that orientation and totally on-board (I am a RH shooter)!

Great post, many thanks for the confirmation and evaluation.  I love an analytical mind!

Kris

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
I've recently tried this fletch orientation and I'm getting good flight and less wear on my rest. I'll stick with it.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
Jack Howard convinced me of this back in the early "60's.  He had taken high speed photos while doing the same testing on his bows using both a shooting machine and then with fingers and a tab.  Always the same results as Ryan's.

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
Are you using wood aluminum or carbon arrows? The reason I ask is if using wood arrows and you are turning the nock 180 degrees would that not put your rift at the bottom instead of the top as it should be or is the rift thing not that important? The reason I ask is after seeing several pics of arrow pieces thru peoples hands due to the rift pointing back at them I have always made sure the rift of my woodies is pointing away from me on top.

Offline Miles Bate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
Hey thank you for posting this. I love the fact that you posted pictures along with results and tested the results again.
U.S ARMY M.P Retired 2011-2015

Assist, Protect, Defend

Black Dragon 61"  50lb
Samick Sage 50lb
Warf Hunter /******** BlackMax 50lb
Wing Nighthawk 35lb

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
Yep.  Cock feather in gives the least contact with the shelf/side plate.  Depending on how deeply the side plate is cut, and how low the shelf is cut to the bow hand, it can cause hen feather contact with the bow hand though. Raising the nock point a tad will reduce hen feather contact for cock feather out orientations.  Always multiple factors involved.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 02:22:00 AM »
Thanks Gang!

Orion, yes I agree, many factors involved when using different equipment. Even something like shaft diameter will affect the results.

stack,

I was using "skinny" carbons.

Aloha!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
Nice test, thank you
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
Nice work Ryan!
I spent allot of time 20 years ago checking out this theory. It wasn't cool to use lipstick back then LOL. The results were the same though.
If you watch video footage of arrows leaving the bow it shows the path of the fletching as it passes the riser. It also confirms the same results.
The arrow material makes no difference once tuned to the bow and shooter.
Abe

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2014, 01:14:00 AM »
LOL! Abe! It's probably still not cool to use lipstick!!!    :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©