3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: anyone having problems with D10?  (Read 350 times)

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
anyone having problems with D10?
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Is anyone else having problems with string creep with their D10 strings? I have to continually check brace height w/ my D10 strings. It may be that they are skinny - 8 strand - and  I am shooting bows in the 60-65lb range at my draw. Is there a better material, is it me, or is it normal?  I don't think I had this much issue with D97...but I could be wrong.
thanks, JD
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anyone having problems with D10?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
I have use 8 strands on bows upto 60#,but use 10-12 strands for over 60#.Have you tried BCY-X,I find it a great string material,quiet and doesn't creep.Its a real small diameter per strand,I use 14 to 18 strands depending on which bow.I use 14 for up to 50#,16 for upto 60# and 18 for over 60#.

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
I have been reading a little about the bcy-x and noticed the good reviews especially about the no creep. I think I will try it the next time I order a string. ...and I might go back up to 10 strand also.  I like the quiet and performance of the 8 strand but maybe need to go back up to 10. Thanks for your input John.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
I have not had any problem with creep once its set when using 8 strand D-10.I dont shoot as heavy a poundage as you.

You might give this a shot.Wax your string up good.Take a 3x3 inch piece of leather.fold it in half and go up and down your string from serving to near the loops when its strung up on the bow.
you build up some heat while doing this and burnish the string.Dont overdo it and burn the string too much.This takes out stetch and creep for me.Maybe your string will settle in for you trying this.It works well for me.

I would probably shoot 10 strands of D-10 if I shot bows over 60#s.Some stringmakers prestretch thier strings at high poundage to reduce stretch and creep potential before shipping to the customer.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
I like the BCY-X,I built a 14 strand BCY-X and pad the loops to 20 strand for my Toelke 50# Whip.I put a small pair of cat whiskers on it,it was as quiet as my 8 strand D10 I had on it.I just started playing with it and like it.It is pretty close to the same diameter as a 8 strand D10.The 14 strand BCY-X with .030 serving came out to about .108 diameter and fit my X-nocks and 3D Super nocks just great.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 03:49:00 AM »
Maybe the string is too long and you have too many twists in the string to get to the proper brace height. Skinny D-10 strings should only have a few twists. Too many twists may cause creep.I also read on the SBD site that 8 strand D-10 strings are suitable for bows till 63 pounds. Above that you should use 10 strand strings.Since you are in the 60-65 range, a 10 strands string might be a better option. Contact Pierre from SBD. He is a stand-up guy who knows where he is talking about.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
Thanks guys for your input! Ad, I do know my string is not too long...in fact it is a little too short because for about a week I couldn't get my brace height down to where I needed it on my rer recurve. Now it wants to keep stretching a little...
It appears that I am going to have to go to a 10 strand.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
OK,let us know how this ends for further education
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
BCY-X is a better material, especially for hunting or outdoor shooting in general.  Stronger, more durable, less stretch/creep, very quiet.  I like 18-20 strands for most any bow--that will be about the same diameter as 10 strands of Dynaflight '10.

Two big differences between X and 10.  

First, X is made with SK90 Dyneema--the strongest available.  '10 is made with SK78 Dyneema.  For reference's sake, Dynaflight '97, 8125G, 452X, etc. are made with SK75 Dyneema.

Second, X has 17% Vectran in it.  This further stabilizes the string, especially in higher temps, and seems to aid in making it quieter.  450+ and 452X also have Vectran, but higher percentages.  With the better quality Dyneema in X, it doesn't need as much Vectran.

If you are ordering string material from BCY, you won't find Dynaflight '10 on the list anymore.  It's now sold as "Force 10".

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©