3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mitten's memorial moose hunt for Bart-video added p. 14  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
Mitten's memorial moose hunt for Bart-video added p. 14
« on: September 15, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »

Sept 5th started out as an 18 day solo Alaskan moose hunt in memorial of the ten year anniversary of my friend Bart Schleyer’s passing. Bart passed away on Sept. 14, 2004 on a solo moose hunt in the Yukon. (See chapter in my book “Solo Spirits and Cherished Memories” or the article posted on  www.brothersofthebow.com   site). The planned dates of my hunt would put me in the Alaskan bush during this important date.

After waiting two days at the hanger for weather to improve, I finally got flown out to a remote river drainage in the Chugach Mountain range. I set up camp and began glassing the area for moose since I couldn’t hunt they day I flew. I saw several cows in the distance and an immature “40-inch” bull. I also spotted a nice bull with 3x3 brows and slightly over 50 inch spread. Excitement mounted.

The next day I got up before dawn, and at first light I spotted 3 bulls together on the first shelf above the river at 1.5 miles. I went after them. The biggest of the bulls went high on the opposite hill side so I dropped down and crossed the river after him. The river was lined with alders and willow, so a tough task was at hand. I lost the bull and did not have good wind to continue, but I saw one of the other bulls back on the other side of the river going up toward my camp side high country. I pulled up the waders and crossed the river again.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mitten's memorial moose hunt for Bart-video added p. 14
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
:campfire:   can't believe it's been 10 years!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »

After calling on several set ups I lost this bull too. Continuing up the valley and side hill, I stayed with my original plan to explore the upper basins early on in the hunt since moose tend to summer high. I could then concentrate my calling effort down in the thick spruce at lower elevation once the rut picked up more and the bulls started cruising.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
Looking forward to this one!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
What beautiful country........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
Yep, this is gonna be good.   :)

:archer:
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »

At 1 pm I was laying down eating jerky when I heard a bull grunt. I saw the bull I was after coming toward me. He may have heard my calling a half hour earlier. He was a good bull with over 24 points, but his palm edges were parallel and turned in. He could have been over 50 inches (legal bull), but I could not chance it. So I only filmed him until he caught my scent at 40 yards.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
This will be good.....
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
Wow!    :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »

I won't drag out too long so here it is.

Looking back at camp (3 miles away), I decided it would be good to start heading downward so I wouldn’t be in the thick brush after dark. So I started hunting my side-hill back. With a little over an hour of daylight left, I spotted a good bull about a half mile past my tent on the same side-hill. I dropped down and hurried to get a better look. It was the same bull I passed up 2 miles up valley from camp earlier. Since I passed him up already, my excitement dropped. BUT, he had another bull with him. At 150 yards, I could see he was much wider, so I got low and moved closer. I crawled on hands and knees, bear crawled, and belly-crawled the last 70 yards, staying below their line of sight and using the dwarf birch as cover.

They were both above me, but I had a good wind as the cool 40 degree evening down thermals were to my advantage. Glassing through the brush I could see the lower bull had good swoop to his beams leaving his head, and flared palms with long side tines. He did not have many brow points, only 2 on left and 3 on right, but rack sure looked to be over 60 inches wide.

They were preoccupied and raking brush, allowing me to get among them. The upper bull kept looking in my direction, but he never knew I was there. I finally slid my pack off and crept up behind a spruce sapling. The wait was on. The sun was setting. I could get no closer.

Finally the upper bull moved down to the same plane as the wide one, and then the wide one viewed the encroached personal space as a threat and turned toward him. But once the first bull backed off, it turned around and headed up toward me. I glanced ahead and looked for a shooting lane, then back at the upper bull. His head was down feeding. Now all my attention went to the wide bull, as I rose to my feet. He came up the trail a little more, with me standing behind the spruce at 30 yards. I thought about shooting, and then about the clear lane. I waited.

With his head down and moving forward, he turned to look over his shoulder toward his buddy. This gave me a rare chance to turn my feet and take a perfect stance. I thought to shoot low in the chest. He took his step and stretched the front leg forward. The 66# Schleyer model Stalker recurve, made for me by South Cox, came all the way back and the long shaft was on its way. I saw my white fletching hit tight behind the shoulder as I heard a crack.

My fear of hitting a leg bone was only momentary, as the great bull lunged forward, ran thirty yards and died in 20 seconds.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
Oh man I've been waiting for this one.  I have been wondering how it has been going up there all this past week Mike!

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
ohh awesome. congrats on a magnificent hunt!
is it September yet??

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
Patiently awaiting this one Mike.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »

Since I knew he was down, I got my pack and went to him from the back side while the first bull was watching me from a safe 80 yard distance. It was now a rush, as you can see from the flash photos, to record the recovery and get pics before darkness fell.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
Man alive what a huge moose! Great story and pics.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Gswag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
WOW! What a cool hunt and majestic animal!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
WOW!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »

I cut up the bull and cooled out the meat in the dark. I quite often thought of Bart as I toiled over this most rewarding task alone. This was not my first time doing it alone, but slow knife strokes and safety was on my mind. I reached my tent after midnight. There was a bright moon and clear sky that dropped the temps below freezing, perfect for cooling meat. The next morning was PACK DAY!!! It was not bad at all even though the shoulder ripped out the bottom of my 25 year old pack frame. Ha!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©