3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mitten's memorial moose hunt for Bart-video added p. 14  (Read 3381 times)

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mitten's memorial moose hunt for Bart-video added p. 14
« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
This why I hunt with Traditional bow it is truly all about the experience. It not hard to see why we have so many hero's like Paul, Bart and Mike and all the ones that came before them.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
MIKE  

After your moose meat arrives and before  you barbecue the ribs      :)     would you take a picture of the entry hole in the ribs.
You mentioned you would access the damage, if there is any thing a picture would show I would appreciate .

I was curious if you remembered what the heart looked like when you were field dressing it.  Did it have a" L" cut in it or was it all mush.  

Thanks
Joe Furlong

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
Thats awesome, congrats Mike!!!!!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
Awesome animal and a great tribute Mike!  Thanks for sharing this hunt with us!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: October 04, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us, Mike, and a huge congratulations on taking a fine bull solo!  What an excellent way to remember a friend.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2014, 12:37:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I picked up my meat and antlers today. I got all the meat in the freezer, but left one side rib out because it didn't fit. I didn't really notice which side it was, but plan to thaw it and look for damages. Things i didn't have time to do during the darkness of skinning.

If you find yourself in Alaska with moose or caribou meat, I recomend Alaskan Express to have it frozen shipped back tothe states. Meat, hide, bone, and antlers.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: October 04, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
Mike,
 Some folks have a saying and I'm sure you heard this a time or two when they say "You are the Man" and I would say "No but I know the Man" and point to heaven..
 I know without a shadow of doubt that you give thanks to our Creator and you Know that same Man and he shines His light on those who know Him...Now you know why I say God Bless you Mike you are a Hero to my girls and what you have done behind the scenes means much to me and my wife...
 Mike Mitten is more then "One with the Wilderness" He's a "Brother" that cares about others and he doesn't boast about it..

May He continue to Bless you Mike and be beside you and be your guide!
                               Keefers <")))><

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: October 05, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Keefer- your words have touched me deeply.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: October 05, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Keefer:
Mike,
 Some folks have a saying and I'm sure you heard this a time or two when they say "You are the Man" and I would say "No but I know the Man" and point to heaven..
 I know without a shadow of doubt that you give thanks to our Creator and you Know that same Man and he shines His light on those who know Him...Now you know why I say God Bless you Mike you are a Hero to my girls and what you have done behind the scenes means much to me and my wife...
 Mike Mitten is more then "One with the Wilderness" He's a "Brother" that cares about others and he doesn't boast about it..

May He continue to Bless you Mike and be beside you and be your guide!
                               Keefers <")))><
:thumbsup:

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: October 05, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
Joe- I'm not big on showing the anatomy of the kill, but I will in this case as I too have learned.

After removing shoulder blade and surrounding muscle at night with flashlight, I struck my finger in wound channel and felt the sharp edge of the ribs.The shape is more triangular than I would have expected. But again the shaft went pretty deep and then got pulled out and broke causing additional tissue separation. At first, I thought it was cut in coss-section, but now I see there was an angle to the cut. Ribs are much wider than most people think, over 2 inches wide.  The bone cut and split longitudinally.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: October 05, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »

From outside and inside view of ribs after cleaning a bit.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: October 05, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: October 05, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
The heart was carefully removed, but arrow was pulled back a bit to avoid getting cut while "gutting" and bagging meat. Gives you an idea of shot placement...ie  LUCK.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: October 05, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
Moose -  It's what's for dinner!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: October 05, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
Oh man. Ribs..... What does moose taste like?
Please don't say chicken...
   :D

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: October 05, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
Those look delicious.  Its a nice reward to get some of the calories back that you spent on the packing.

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: October 05, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
MIKE   i am sure thoughts of  Bart entered you mind while preparing the ribs and eating. Those cooked ribs look fantastic     :)    

Thanks for posting the pictures of the ribs cage showing the entry and exit hole . If conditions permit and timing is ok an autopsy can be a good learning experience.  i was looking for the tell tale “L” or " s “  
cut  which we see at the inside of the rib cage. This is pretty typical damage of  most single bevel broadheads

Your shot was impressive right into the heart! While it is not visible that cut also may show the L/S do to rotation of the broadhead or scramble it into mush.

I am sure all this was not on your mind when field dressing trying to beat the clock to darkness and  getting back to camp.   :thumbsup:
Joe Furlong

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: October 05, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
This was the youngest moose I have shot, but they were all good. The meat has larger muscle bundles than deer and tends to be a little more moist. This meat has no distinctive smell as he was taken early in season. I like it better than a rutting elk. Ha! So far I have only eaten back-straps and the rib sample.

Thanks Joe. It was a sweet flying arrow. Mike

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Man those ribs look lip smacking good Mike and cooking over coals instead of gas adds even more flavor I think...Man if I was your next door neighbor and smelled your grill fire up I think I would have to sneak over and see what's under the lid of the grill when you go inside your house unless you are one them fellas who don't put his guard down and sit by the fire the entire time..
  Then again with a heart shot like you put on the Moose I better stay in my yard and hope you throw a few scraps over the fence or out the back door       :campfire:

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
Mike,
 It's been just about 24 hours since I last posted and just curious "You still eating on them ribs ain't ya"?   :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©