3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Interesting shooting observation.  (Read 552 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Interesting shooting observation.
« on: September 15, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
Lately I have been using my Damascus shooting glove while shooting my Bear recurve and Cornstalker recurve. Getting great releases and arrow flight. Since the arrival of my Liberty Contender, I noticed my arrow flight was not the greatest. Switched to my Eichler Tab, and alawalla peanutbutter sandwiches, great release and arrow flight.

Anyone else experience this? Looks like I'll finish out my season using my tab.   :rolleyes:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Interesting shooting observation.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
Tabs for me too. Hard to get consistant even release of the string with a glove.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
Thanks Dave, was hoping it wasn't just me. I agree, consistent even release seemed to be what I was not feeling also. Once I switched to the tab, release felt smooth and even.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Also just switched from the Damascus glove to the Black Widow cordovan tab. Pretty awkward at first but now is feeling natural. No more worries about a wet shooting glove and the release crisper with the cordovan.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
Yep. Tab all the way here...just a cheap little 7 dollar one from the local sporting goods store. It was awkward as all get out at first. But I could never go back to a glove again...I've tried and my groups opened up considerably.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
I want to clarify that the glove with the recurve was great! Glove with the longbow was horrible but, when shot with the tab, shooting was great!

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
My groups greatly improved when I made the switch to a tab. Like said i get a much cleaner release
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
Great, I'm glad you found something that improves your shooting, that's always a good thing for all of us... I have always shot with a tab since I was a kid. I always made my own until I shot the Safari Tuff tabs. I like the way the Safari Tuff tabs promote a very consistent release along with repeatable hand placement on the string.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:51:00 AM »
I have recently moved back to a tab. Fred Asbell told me once that he notices at his clinics that a major cause of a bad release is an ill fitting glove, especially the Damascus types that get lumpy in the fingertips.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 07:03:00 AM »
Yepper I switched to the cordovan tab a couple years ago, I am way more consistent with the tab. Although small game and bird hunting I still shoot the glove as I believe I can get to my draw a little quicker with a glove.
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
Fred Asbell told me once that he notices at his clinics that a major cause of a bad release is an ill fitting glove, especially the Damascus types that get lumpy in the fingertips.
That's very interesting to learn that. I never gave it much thought but, that actually makes a lot of sense.   :)

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
Shot a BIG JIM glove for years and it finally wore through and before ordering a new one I thought I would make a tab from a nice piece of leather the wife bought from Hobby Lobby. Love the results and wont look for another glove. I'm not going to say I shoot any better but just as good. No more Velcro! Cept on me shelf.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
I never really paid alot of attention to the lumpy fingertips in the Damascus type glove until Roger just mentioned it. Makes alot of sence and yes that has happened to my gloves.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
As I pull the string on the Liberty Contender today, I notice the feel of the string is much different than the recurves because it is a really skinny string. The tab is giving me a much smoother release as the string is not catching in the crook of my fingers like when I'm wearing the glove.

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
I switched to a Bateman tab about a year ago and my release is definitley smoother, no plans on going back to a glove or switching tabs either, really like the Bateman.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
First off, I shoot a glove for hunting.  That being said, I would just comment that if you want to know what is going on with your release between a glove and a tab shoot through a chrono.  Ya might be surprised or not.

I have shot a glove for years to hunt with.  My shots from bows in the 45# up to 60# catagory vary less then 1 fps.  With a tab on 3D bows and Field bows I also get less then 1 fps difference.

I really think, even with the now popular "skinny" strings that its all in your hand.  Finger tip, med hook or deep hook.  Each one has its performance outcomes and its technical needs.....

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
Huntschool, I don't have access to a chrono but, I'm a little confused on your statement. Are you saying that my finger placement on the string of my recurve may be different than my finger placement on the skinny string of the Liberty? And that may be what is causing my bad releases?

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
Wannabe1-Your skinny string should be padded and there should be no difference between the two strings. My 8 strand SBD string-the same as the 14 strand D97 standard Black Widow string. Same nock fit.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 12:03:00 AM »
Wannabe1:

No not that yours is different but that there are different placements in general.  I dont know, is yours different between a glove and a tab?

I shot for a good bit (non fast flight back in the day, dacron) with a glove and just the tips of my fingers.  Now with all this new string stuff and smaller strings I found I needed to take a mid hook.  I could not get a consistant release with a more finger tip grasp.  I am not in the crook of my fingers but half way between the tips and a deep hook.  I also shoot three under......
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
Now I understand and this morning, I shot with the glove first, then the tab. I do have a different finger placement due to the thinness of the string. Grouping was definitely better with the tab. Very much appreciate the input and observations.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©