3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I've got a noisy Bear Super Griz....any help/advice?  (Read 733 times)

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
I've got a noisy Bear Super Griz....any help/advice?
« on: September 16, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Hi all

I'm very new to the trad world coming over after 30 years of compound hunting.   Love this site and have enjoyed all of the information here (the term "down the rabbit hole" comes to mind....

I just started shooting a bow I've had in the closet for years.  It is a Greyling-era Bear Super Grizzly.   58" and 40# AMO

I've got fur silencers on it and have been experimenting with a number of different arrows as I try to get it tuned but I'm not real pleased with how loud the bow is.  There is a definite "twang" sound regardless of what I'm shooting out of it.  

Is this a common thing with this era bow in this length?   Should I contemplate padding the area below the string notches to try and reduce some string slap?

I'm also thinking the brace height might be too short.  It is currently a smidge under 7 3/4 inches.  I checked the string (which has been with the bow for decades) and it is indeed a 54" string.   Perhaps I should add some twist and try to get the brace height distance a little bit larger?  

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Couple of obligatory pics...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I've got a noisy Bear Super Griz....any help/advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
I would raise the brace a lil' bit at a time, take a shot or two and then raise it again. You will hear a difference at some point. I can see maybe a quarter of an inch of string groove when strung on mine. Also how heavy an arrow are you shooting? Heavier means less noise as a rule. They are great old bows......    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
Thanks Ron.  I may try that.   I took a closer look (and the below picture) and there is a good amount of string riding on the bow limb belly below the string groove.  

So would the suggestion be to just keep adding twist to the string a bit at a time until it doesn't make contact past the end of the string groove?

The string is making contact with the limb all the way down to where my thumb is.  The groove ends right at the end of the fattest part of the serving.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
Like Ron said. It could be bh or to lite of arrows. Give us your arrows specs.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
2013 shafts at 30" (I have about a 28 1/2" draw length)  100 grain field points right now.  

I'm not sure those will be the final shafts I shoot with but I had some on hand so that's what I am using currently.  

Thanks for your help guys.  Much appreciated

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
If the nocks snap on the string tight, that will cause extra noise.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
Might try a new string, esp since you stated that the one you have is "decades" old.........it made a big difference on a 58" dark archer I picked up that was noisy as heck..............
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Good call Hvyhitter.   I just ordered a new one from 3Rivers and will start messing around once that arrives.  I did a bit more searching on another forum as well and it appears others with similar vintage bows have had the same issue.  Looks like a 8" brace height for this bow isn't uncommon so I'll start around 7 3/4" and go up from there once the new string arrives.

Thanks all for your help

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
Once you get a new string, let me recommend a set of Hush Puppies/Bow Hush for it. Made a lot of difference on my recurves.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
New string, slightly higher brace ht and different arrows. Are you sure your not hearing arrows slapping the riser?

2013s are too stiff for a 40# bow. You need at least a .600 spine or less in a carbon or a 1916 aluminum.

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
That is a nice looking Super Griz. We have a Grizzly in the family, we tried setting it up to shoot three under once.  It made more noise when the nock was set and good arrow flight was achieved, so we put it back down to where it shot best with split fingers.  We added felt to the limb tips, that with silencers made it dead quiet.

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
Brace it up to 8" and serve/wrap the last 5" of your string with some wool yarn and you will be surprised how quiet it will be.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
That is a nice looking Super Griz. We have a Grizzly in the family, we tried setting it up to shoot three under once.  It made more noise when the nock was set and good arrow flight was achieved, so we put it back down to where it shot best with split fingers.  We added felt to the limb tips, that with silencers made it dead quiet.
Thanks pavan.   I actually am shooting it 3 under...strange you said that.  It is actually shooting pretty solid with my current set up but it just sounds godawful.  

Based on recommendations above, I am getting a new string, ordered a set of bow hush strings (always happy to patronize a site supporter!)   I will give that a shot and then start messing with some different arrows/points to see if I can get it fairly quiet.

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dale in Pa:
New string, slightly higher brace ht and different arrows. Are you sure your not hearing arrows slapping the riser?

2013s are too stiff for a 40# bow. You need at least a .600 spine or less in a carbon or a 1916 aluminum.
I shot some really light 1816s I have for my wife's recurve and it made no difference in the noise, actually, so I don't think it is arrows hitting the plate.  But what do I know?   I guess I just go with reducing variables until I get her settled down.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
The bow hush and hush puppies will make a world of difference.  I tired fur when I first started with recurves and they never did a good job for me.  They might be enough on some longbows, but I think for recurves you will like the will much better.

Playing with the brace height will help, and heavier arrows will also make a big difference.

Have fun! It will come.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
The bow hush and hush puppies will make a world of difference.  I tired fur when I first started with recurves and they never did a good job for me.  They might be enough on some longbows, but I think for recurves you will like the will much better.

Playing with the brace height will help, and heavier arrows will also make a big difference.

Have fun! It will come.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
I shoot the same draw weight. My DL is 28.5. I use 1916 with 125 fp cut to 29." I went with a B55 14 strand with .21 center serving 54" length when I had them made. I gave them my nock from one of my arrows so I got the right nock fit. If you are using the new XX75 with the factory nock that could be some of your problem. Improper nock fit. Also mine brace hight is 8 to 8.25 right now its at 8" and the bow is quiet. String silencers will help.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
I am not a fan of fur silencers.  They look awesome, but as far as deadening vibration or noise I find them to be wanting.  

On brace height I think you will do better at 8-8 1/4" on that bow, give it a try.

Also, try a minimum of 10-11 gpp arrow.  Actually I've noticed on most bows once you hit 11-12 gpp that's when things REALLY start to get very quiet, but 10+ is a good rule of thumb.

Then there's the Bowhush.  The stuff works, and it IS more effective than plain old store bought knitting wool from what I have found in my testing.  Terry and the girls are NOT pulling our legs by telling us this is special wool.

The Hush Puppies work excellent also and rob hardly any energy from the string.  They are light yet very dense material.  Lots of folks have confirmed this.

Lastly, if you want the most vibration and sound absorption in my experience few things beat properly constructed rubber cat whisker balls on the string, either one pair of larger balls or two pairs of smaller balls.  These need to be done right...just tying some floppy whisker material on the string isn't going to do it, they need to be bundled correctly so that when the material is cut they pop into a nice ball shape.

The rubber is heavier than any wool product, which to me is the main reason it is so effective.  It robs a little more energy from the string, but we're not talking much, and it's certainly not an issue on a bow like the Grizzly.

Order a set of Bow Hush and also strongly consider ordering a brand new B55 string from Allen Shafer at TenRing Strings with either his Double Katz dual whiskers or a single set of larger whiskers like I was describing.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
I picked up a Grayling Grizzly for my son (40@28) and got a dozen GT 1535 bless from big Jim.... had to try it out prior to Christmas, and it was as quiet as my Black Widow longbow.... used 100 gr and 145gr heads.....

Good luck,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by dnurk:
2013 shafts at 30" (I have about a 28 1/2" draw length)  100 grain field points right now.  

I'm not sure those will be the final shafts I shoot with but I had some on hand so that's what I am using currently.  

Thanks for your help guys.  Much appreciated
2013 with 100 grain tips sound like pretty stiff shafts for a 40 pound bow... how is your arrow flight? you may be getting contact with the shelf with your arrows.

I'd recommend playing with brace height and tune the bow for noise first with a bare sring and get it as quiet as you can before putting sting silencers on it. you'll have better luck finding the sweet spot in the brace that way. i'll bet she's up around 8" to 8.25" on that bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©