3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: On average how many.  (Read 1256 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: On average how many.
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 06:51:00 AM »
Assume you are talking with traditional bows correct?
If some of you are taking that many deer a year with traditional gear. You either are impressing the you know what outa me or you have very high populations/opportunities where you hunt.

With traditional gear here. I am lucky to get a shot at a deer inside the 20 yard mark in an entire season. If you are talking  deer in general. I shoot 1 every year, sometimes up to 3 with more advanced weapons.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 07:07:00 AM »
I go for 2 and sometimes get 3.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
3 a year lasts my family as my wife doesn't like wild game so I sneak it in as burger.  Two is the norm.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
Geesh, some of you guys shoot more deer in a year than I might see in two weeks!

In the entire year of 2013 I saw one buck, and that was in July. I live in one of the parts of PA where our game commission saw fit to nearly eliminate our healthy herd. It seems they wanted to kill them off for their own good???????

I've killed six deer with a bow in 27 years. I finally got one last year after a 16 year drought.

My average is .22 deer/year.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
3to 4

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
I used to only hunt with the compound and 20-30 a year was common.  Now I shoot trad about half the time and usually take around 10. About half with the longbow.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
I usually only get 1 or 2, but with the ammount of deer on post I'm open to taking more, I donate all the meat to needy families anyhow, (my wife can't eat it). This year DNR is pushing hunters to take doe (we can take 10 doe a year, 2 antlered QDMA size)so I would take as many up to 10 as I can get, hunting season is long here and I spend half my time in the woods anyhow.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
2 - 3. Although last year was a bad year and only took 1.
SWA Spyder

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
Geesh, some of you guys shoot more deer in a year than I might see in two weeks!

In the entire year of 2013 I saw one buck, and that was in July. I live in one of the parts of PA where our game commission saw fit to nearly eliminate our healthy herd. It seems they wanted to kill them off for their own good???????

I've killed six deer with a bow in 27 years. I finally got one last year after a 16 year drought.

My average is .22 deer/year.
I'm hearing ya brother. The opportunities these guys get or shots they get in a season must be staggering. We just do not have the opportunities. You guys are very lucky.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
2-3.  Occasionally I will shoot 4, but usually that suppliments the years I'm not fortunate enough to get 2 or 3.....
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
Normally 2 but this year My wife and I are trying to cut out hormone infested beef and GMO foods as much as possible, so I will be attempting to shoot 6 for us and our 4 kids. My oldest son normally takes 1 in youth/black powder season and my wife might try and shake the dust off and get one her self. So I guess we are going for about 8 total this year.
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
i normally average 3-4, we can kill 2 bucks and up to 4 does... i only hunt with with a stickbow of some sort, we do have a 5 month archery season..
      wow you Pa. guys have it bad.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
Living in NW PA means you can get a doe tag and a buck tag & maybe one for another management unit.  For most of my life you were allowed a "single" deer per year.  If I shot a doe in archery I was done hunting for the year.  Now I normally take my buck & doe.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
Matty,  your post kinda makes me laugh, my best friend left PA 25 yrs. ago to move to Colorado so he could hunt more animals during the year!

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
We put up at least 6 every year.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
2-3 with a bow. We won't include the others...

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
Beastmaster & redshaft,  I hear both of you.  I've been fortunate enough to live in a county where I can fill both of my tags with my longbows and recurves but have friends who a deer every 3 or 4 years is about norm in their part of the state.  I can't imagine hunting where there are enough deer to take the numbers people are saying on here.  Maybe we appreciate the one we do take more, who knows.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
Yes, some of you are truely blessed. I hope you realize it and appreciate just how lucky you are.

Shoot 'em for us PA boys!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
I can generally get one deer and one turkey a year. Between myself and my dad we usually kill 3 of each combined. This year we have a new lease though so it could go either way.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
5-6 my wife loves deer meat , so do I. I will give every other one to a "feed the hungry " program me and my business partner are involved in.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©