3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: On average how many.  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: On average how many.
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
I have harvested a moose six out of the last eight years.  We are allowed 3 blacktail deer apiece of either sex after November.  This may seem like a lot of meat for a family of three, but it is all we eat for meat.  Given a successful draw we have mixed caribou, dall sheep, mtn. goat and free range bison.  Then there's the fish and crab...Nevermind!  Each year we seem to make more and more burger, jerky and canned meat.  I can and do drive to the store for groceries, but not for their outrageously priced meat.  I read articles that say meat prices have skyrocketed nationwide.  

Up here it's a lifestyle. I can't say we're the fanatical prepper types, but we do have volcanos, earthquakes, tsunamis and crazy weather that can cut you off the supply chain.  So it is the  sensible and responsible thing to have some level of preparedness.
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
I get a deer [1] every 3rd or 4th year.....sometimes. Last few have been with firearms. I bow hunt a lot more now and see more deer than ever. I no longer hunt in the Adirondacks and my deer encounters have been much better. Last year I missed a nice buck in Missouri and a doe in N.Y. with the bow. Last shot I had prior to that with a recurve was in 1971. Maybe this will be the year.....I can only hope......hey, I am not a quitter.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
2-3 lately - use to get 5-6 a year when I had a larger family
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dave Lay:
i normally average 3-4, we can kill 2 bucks and up to 4 does... i only hunt with with a stickbow of some sort, we do have a 5 month archery season..
      wow you Pa. guys have it bad.
Same here.

Chris

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
I take 1 anymore unless a needy family wants one. My wife is allergic to red meat now and boys moved away after they grew up, so don't require as much.

Does let me look at more deer and kind of pick and choose....

If I don't see several deer per day, I feel like I messed up somewhere. Some of you all have it rough.

PS- I live in  ummmmmm , I forgot!!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
A couple of deer a year. Too bad the elk don't play fair, because I like elk in the freezer a lot more than deer.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
One or two, except on the even numbered years.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
The legal limit at my house is 30 deer, family of 5 with 3 hungry boys. We put 9 deer (3 trad) and 2 hogs in the freezer last year and are running low now. Usually run out of meat before season starts.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
1/3
Jim

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
well, what are you calling average ?  Average over my life ?  Over all of my bowhunting years?  The last three years?  Or just last year ?   :jumper:  

For a short time, my extended family refrains from eating deer meat so my wife and I can only go thru one a year.  No sense killing more.  Normally, the number would be one or two higher.

ChuckC

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
My average in my traditional career is 2.33 per year.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
Average 4-6 a year. Last year was great as I shot 8.  We eat mostly deer meat and I share a deer or 2 with friends. Also barter with neighbor for veggies and fruit out of his garden.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
4.  Split between longbow and long guns

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
Dbl

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
Average bow is 1 a year.  Average altogether would be say 1.5 maybe 2.  Last year I was blessed with 4 altogether.  My kids are getting bigger and thus eating more!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
3 usually! We eat deer meat all year long!

Bisch

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
With my son off to college and a wife who does not eat venison I am down to 2 per year unless a real good buck presents then its fill the freezer. Used to be 4-5. If someone asks for deer meat then I will try for more. Lots of deer, a long season and liberal harvest policy by the state. I feel fortunate reading the posts from some of those up north.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wannabe1:
I'll let you know after I get my first deer ever!    :biglaugh:  
I'm in this club also.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
2 or 3 a year.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
I'm with you Pennsylvania hunters. It can be hard to get one shot per season. Buck or doe. Then again if you have some private property you might easily kill 2-3 a year. Personally I average about 1.5 per year. I'm not picky when hunting PA bucks. If it is a legal buck I'm going to try to shoot it! I have hunted 3 states in past years and once killed 5 deer in one year but that is rare for me.
I love the big woods hunting in northern PA but killing a buck is pretty tough.  I have had lucky years and lean years. My favorite hunts are public land in the mountains of PA.
 I have also been lucky to experience Wyoming a few times where I saw over 100 deer per day and probably 40 buck. Last year I killed a Wyoming buck and Pennsylvania doe with a Black Widow recurve. Then a Pennsylvania mountain buck with a rifle.
Those 3 deer deer got used up surprisingly quickly. And it's just me, wife and daughter! My daughter ate deer of some kind almost every day during basketball season the last two years. Now she has a Division 1 scholarship to play basketball and she is lean and strong. I am on a mission to kill a deer and send her some canned or vacuum packed meals.
Tedd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©