3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A clear and easy way to tune arrows?  (Read 670 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
A clear and easy way to tune arrows?
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
I recently spent some time shooting with a good friend of mine. He switched from a compound to a recurve bow 6 or 7 years ago. At the time he used one of my bows as well as arrows I setup for him.
     After he took his first deer with it he then bought his own bow and has gone along hunting ever since.
     The thing is....he has struggled with his shooting ever since and has never shot as well as he did with the setup I gave him.
     Today I was talking to him on the phone and he was telling me his shooting woes.
     Under suspicion, I told him to take the fletching off one of his arrows....take a few shots and then send me some pictures of the result.
     He agreed and did so. His arrows were entering the target at less than a 45 degree angle from 12 yards consistently.  They were way too weak. This guy has been hunting for years with arrows that are nowhere near tuned correctly for his bow.
    This got me to thinking and I started to think that there are probably a lot of newcomers to our beloved sport who are suffering because they don't understand how to tune arrows.
     So I have a couple of video suggestions for new guys or other guys experiencing difficulty to watch.
     The two best videos to watch that will explain arrow tuning in my opinion are the ones made called "Tuning for extreme accuracy with Byron Furguson" and the video that Ken Beck of Black Widow bows made.  There are lots of explanations out there on how to do this but I believe these two to be the easiest to understand. Tuning correctly is imperative. No amount of form work will correct arrows that are not tuned to the bow.  
    My buddy has struggled for years to shoot as well as he used to shoot all the while thinking it was all form issues. Some of it may be form issues but his arrows were tuned so badly that no amount of form work was going to help. Get the arrows tuned right and then work on form. Life will be easier!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A clear and easy way to tune arrows?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Amen Brother!!!

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Great post. Better for someone to do the tedious work up front than to suffer in accuracy and penetration later.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:58:00 PM »
Hit the nail on the head
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline Marshallrobinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
Good post. Hope someone that needs to read it does read it.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
Dead on Jon! Those are the two I ways recommend also. Both are very down to earth , simple and quick.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
I shot a couple of years and did not know how to tune arrows.  Some shots were good but when I missed it was always to the right.  Then I watched Ken Becks video.  Much more fun...Now when I mmmiss (right left high low) it is all ME.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline neuse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
Is that Byron Ferguson video on Youtube?

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
In my experience tuning gets a whole lot easier as soon as that second person is involved...had your friend told you earlier what was going on you would have helped him solve his issue earlier...when I tune arrows I tend to do it in my friend's basement where he, with an arrow sales business, pretty much has everything I need to create just about any arrow point combo I can think of...that is how I recently found that a bow which most would think would tune nicely with 500 spine arrows actually tunes nicely with 340 spine...if I can find someone like that maybe you can too...if you are having tuning issues start looking today...videos are great, but before many of us had videos we actually used human contact to learn things and compare...and human contact with like minded folks is always a good thing

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
I got into bare shaft tuning after buying my first widow and recieving that Ken Beck video,,,, ever since then my arrows have been perfect.   I don't shoot them so perfect all the time but its good to elliminate the entire arrow from the guessing game if something isnt right.
"Us vs Them"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
Good job letting him borrow a bow and helping him Jon. That is what Trad is all about, its not the kill.

:clapper:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
 Get the arrows tuned right and then work on form. Life will be easier!
That can be a bit of a double edged sword! If a person does not possess a certain level of form, good tuning can be almost impossible to achieve!

Bisch

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Bisch yea. You are right about that. It's kind of a tricky deal but this guy already has reasonably good form. But he's been shooting arrows that are terribly out of tune. But yep I agree with you on that one.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
One of the "Masters of the Bare Bow" videos has a segment with Ken Beck explaining his method of Bare Shaft tuning.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
Thanks, I need to get my bow tuned!

Offline NotDylan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
This got me to thinking and I started to think that there are probably a lot of newcomers to our beloved sport who are suffering because they don't understand how to tune arrows.
Here's one now!  Started doing trad archery about 6 months ago and other than setting my brace height, I have never done any tuning to my bows or arrows.  That Ken Beck video was very helpful.  

My question is:  Is there a way to do this without buying a half dozen of several different arrows along with different weight points?

Arrow building isn't something I want to get in to at the moment so I had planned on having some built for me. I've got a Toelke Whip and Dan specced some arrows out for me but I wonder if they would be tuned just right for me or not.  I'd hate to order a nice set of arrows from a custom maker and find that they are either the wrong spine or length.  

How do I get started?

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 12:48:00 AM »
NotDylan, what arrow material are you wanting to shoot? In my opinion Aluminum shafts are easiest.  Next is carbon, and then wood.  Carbon is a much different animal though in my opinion.  That Ken Beck video is an excellent way to do it.
    An arrow maker will most likely get you in the ballpark but each bow shooter has his own characteristics etc. that can change things.  As far as bareshaft tuning goes...there are actually a lot of variables which can cause confusion. But the best way that I have found to at least get in the ballpark is to follow the Ken Beck video or the Byron Furguson video.  If you have an arrow maker make you some arrows...you can always request that he leave one shaft bare, so you can test from there.  Aluminum is the easiest because you can typically look at a chart and be very close.  If I were just starting out I would go the aluminum shaft route first.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 12:52:00 AM »
Tuning arrows is actually just simple physics.  I know a lot of guys trade their compounds in for recurves or longbows because they want the simplicity but tuning them is more difficult than a compound in my opinion.  I'ts not hard once you understand what you are doing.  But my guess is that a lot of guys give up shooting recurves and longbows due to inaccuracy and A LOT of this inaccuracy is due to not knowing how to tune arrows.  It is VITAL.  You cannot reach your potential shooting arrows that are not tuned correctly.  Good luck!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 01:04:00 AM »
NotDylan, to answer your question better, yes there is a way to do this.  If you are wanting to use carbon shaft then pick the size(spine) that is most likely to work for you.  Leave it full length. Put the insert, and point on it that corresponds with the weight broadhead you want to use.  The idea is to start out with a shaft that shows weak MOST of the time, and then trim it down from the nock end until it flies straight.  This is a very simplistic way of doing it, and there is more to it than this but this will get you in the ballpark.  Read up on arrow spine and know what it means.  Understand what you are doing each time you make a change.  If you want help, do not hesitate to get a hold of me.  I can walk you through the way that has worked very well for me.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 03:08:00 AM »
I agree, tuning your arrows to the bow is fairly simple and is important for so many reasons.

I'm amazed at occasional threads stating, "it's not important when shooting at hunting distances, any spine will work"

If ya don't know then you just don't know...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©