3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chewing Gum while hunting  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
Chewing Gum while hunting
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »
I am a gum chewer and am interested to know what gum others use when hunting that the smell does not spook game and holds its flavor. Cinnamon gum holds its flavor but does it spook game?
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chewing Gum while hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
I'm not a gum chewer in the stand, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that it doesn't matter.  If they can smell the gum, they can smell you and it won't matter what's in your mouth. Even if they did somehow smell the gum without even a faint whiff of human odor attached I doubt they would equate the strange new odor to danger.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
Ditto what Joe said but if you really want something different look for Gum-O-Flage.  Yep, there really is camo gum, at least it's supposed to mask your breath.  Don't use it myself but had the owner of the company come into our Elk camp a few years ago and drop off a case of it.  I gave most of it away to a friend who is a scent freak.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
I eat cereal bars and cliff bars and have the occasional cup of coffee if I don't forget my thermos.

if the wind is right what are they going to smell?
"Us vs Them"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
I have a friend that has killed a ton off deer, and every time he had a Smith's Brothers Licorice cough drop in his mouth. He says deer like it....who am I to argue.......lol! Maybe the old Blackjack gum?   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
I get the wind part and yes is makes sense!  However, there are times when you can have human odor under control (as best as possible) and the gum is the predominate odor carried in the wind. When I tree stand hunt I use a hospital grade odor eliminator I buy in bulk (concentrate) that is safe to spray on skin and clothes that works really good.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
Blowing big bubbles might give you away though !

CHuckC   :biglaugh:

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
I would guess that the act of chewing would be more prone to spook a nearby deer than the scent would
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
Play the wind and you will be fine!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
If a deer smells your gum he smells you!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
Heck I can't even walk and chew gum!  Hunting and chewing gum is out of the question!

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
This is along the same lines as smoking or dipping while hunting. I dip copenhagen and it's never been a problem for me. Oh I have problems! But not related to that. For all those who smoke and hunt I can't imagine how possible it is to eliminate the smell of cigarette smoke completely, but to the degree that a deer could smell it I would imagine impossible. Also depends on where you hunt, I wonder if residential area hunters experience less issue with scent as those deer are more used to human scent and noise? No idea. As for the gum, any would be as bad or as tolerable as another. If I had a gun to my head I would say mint is the safest since mint is an actual common plant that has a strong odor. If you're chewing pine gum I don't imagine you'd like it much, haha. Play the wind as always and you'll be fine in my opinion.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
I'm a Copenhagen dipper as well, never noticed any negative affects.  If they smell that they've smelled every other scent you have as well.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
If I have to start worrying about gum now I might as well hang it up.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
if you are upwind it doesn't matter what you are using for scent cover...imho ....marketing is what sells scent covering products...not actual field results......if you are successful using scent cover likely you would have been successful otherwise....

attractant smells are a different thing...sometimes critters will ignore other smells if the attractant
is what they are lookin for ....again imho

good luck and chew away

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
I would rather chew on some deer jerky while deer hunting.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
Breath might be the largest conduit of scent, especially if you are taking steps to mask you B.O. This has long been believed to be true- Ishi would not eat for a day in preparation for a hunt to help reduce bad breath.

In the past I have eaten apples while hunting. They are "nature's toothbrush"...keep your breath fresh and tast good too lol. I happened to be chewing Trident Spearmint gum the last time I shot a whitetail. He approached from downwind without detecting me. I also used a top-secret odor masking formula that I will not divulge...well since you asked so nicely haha...I bathe without soap, store my hunting clothes in a trash bag stuffed full of pine needles, and wear alpaqua socks.

All joking aside, it surely cannot hurt to chew gum while hunting, and may in fact help you. Helps me pass time sitting still anyway.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
I have always used breath mints when hunting.Deer are curious animals,so I believe a little minty odor will not bother them,compared to predator breath.

Leland

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
Had a buddy that was sucking on a piece of orange hard candy.  There was a little button buck under the stand, so he wallowed it around in his mouth and worked up a bunch of juice(you see where this is going).  Leaned out over the stand and spit a blob of the juice on it's hind end.  The little buck jumped about 3' high and bolted out about 20 yards.  He stopped looked around, sniffed the new fruity liquid on his hind end and proceeded to lap it up!  So Ive never hesitated to chew gum or eat hard candy while hunting.

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
Ive had a piece of gum in my mouth for every deer I ever killed...  Smell me or not, I am not stopping....  I dont think deer can smell it.  I even spit it out every once in a while and deer walk under me without spooking.  Like I said, Im nt stopping even if the new research says deer can smell gum a mile away..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©