3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chewing Gum while hunting  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chewing Gum while hunting
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
I rarely chew gum, but during while in the treestand, I chew all the time.
Keeps me from getting thirsty, curbs hunger, and keeps me from falling asleeep.
I have always wondered if deer could smell the gum??? Don't know if they can, however after dozens of dead deer, I don't think I am going to quit chewing.

chris <><

Offline non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
I'd have to stay awake if I was chewing gum.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 12:03:00 AM »
I think this is going a bit far.  I have smoked and chewed (and spit) in a stand and it never seemed to have any effect, other then attracting deer to where I spit.

Buy stock in some gum co. and enjoy......
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 12:19:00 AM »
There is a product called Gum-o-flage. It is a gum that is supposed to kill bad breath with no gum odor. I've used this for a few years now, and shot plenty of deer while chewing it. Can't say for sure that it works, but it doesn't seem to bother them.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
I think this scent thing is way overboard....you can wear any clothes you want, chew any gum....if your upwind ..a deer will smell you....think about this..you store your clothes but you get into a truck to go hunting..if you drink coffee on the way the aroma will go into your clothes any other residual smells are everywhere  , the exhaust lingers when you get out...you sweat as soon as you exert .. your hair (if we still have it LOL is a huge carrier of any scent )......their sense of smell is  very acute...if they come in it is because they either don't smell you or are curious.. or the scent they smell does not mean danger to that particular deer....even individual deer react different to different smells....

minimize your smells...but I guarantee you if the wind is wrong.....they can smell you ....and then its up to the buck/doer how they react.....younger deer are less discriminating ....old doe or buck who has been around....bye bye

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
I spent many years researching scent control and trying different things. Only two things worked for me. I found I could hide my walking-in scent trail by working my boots in mud or a cow flop (in cow country), and NOTHING worked on a deer that was truly down wind. I think often when people think they weren't smelled by a downwind deer, the scent current just didn't get to the deer.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
I like the doe in heat urine or skunk flavored gum while I'm on stand.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
I have a girl in my archery class and I remind her to park her gum prior to anchor   If she did it near her anchor spot,it might give her a tighter anchor
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©